Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not true. If it were, there's be many more injuries/maimings/killings given the 400 million firearms owned by Americans. The fact that texting while driving, alone, injures/kills/maims over 3 times as many people annually as firearms do when the number of registered vehicles is only 2/3 that of the number of firearms makes vehicles FAR more harmful to humans than firearms. In fact, one is about 5 times more likely to be injured/maimed/killed by someone texting while driving than by a firearm. Do something about that instead of incessantly whining about guns just because you you're a hoplophobe.

Luckily for you, the US Constitution prescribes the exact way to Amend it. Just get a new Amendment ratified that rescinds the 2nd Amendment. Good luck with that.
You didn't think for one moment about a word I said. Not that I expected you to. Hoplophobe? Wooooooooooooooooo........

As I said above, your brand of conservatism is done. What irks me the most, though, about sociopathic gun zealotry is the inevitable collateral damage that it will continue to do to very valid and sensible conservative platform positions on many other issues. No one but another lost gun zealot takes any gun zealot seriously......on any discussion topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM

8,496 posts, read 3,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Appeared to be loaded and unlocked. All hearsay. Come back with facts.
At least for this thread (until find out differently), I accept the information in the roommate memo as "factual." Two reasons: (1) it was written to the landlord before this blew up and (2) Pirnie who is quick to call foul on her roommates has not to my knowledge disputed it. This includes the fact that it was her practice to "keep" (the actual word was kept) firearms that are loaded and unlocked. Pirnie was aware of the memo. She was copied and invited to provide "input."

This thread first intrigued as another example of how rightwing media sensationalizes through distortion when there actually is a more complicated story. I also found it interesting that few focused on Pirnie's stated reason for keeping the weapons - protection from abusive dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So to sum up the story we know thus far, Leyla Pirnie moved in and started classes on Sept. 4th. Things start going downhill with her roommates.

While she is away on a trip, they go through her bedroom, and find loaded firearms that are not locked up or secured.

They tell her they don't feel safe with loaded guns lying about, demand she secures the guns, and she agrees to move out.

In October, she changes her mind and refuses to leave.

Roommates contact the landlord and ask for mediation. He writes that it would be best for her to move rather than the roommates moving and leaving her with the entire rent.

Leyla Pirnie arranges to legally secure the guns and calls local law enforcement. She schedules an appointment on Dec. 11 to get the permit she is required by law to have within 60 days, which by now has come and gone.

Whether she is a resident or a non-resident makes no difference, unless she is there for hunting season, at a gun collectors show, or at a shooting competition, everyone, resident or not, is required to have a permit within 60 days.

Gun websites encourage people to get going on this early on as it can take several weeks for the interview, background check, etc.

Whether she was allowed to open carry in Alabama with or without a permit makes no difference as Massachusetts does not honor permits from any other states.

Massachusetts law clearly states the guns are to be locked and secured. Makes no difference if she is a resident or a non-resident. There is no grace period.

So all the gaslighting comments about how Leyla Pirnie could be a non-resident, Massachusetts has to recognize her Alabama right to open carry, she has 60 days before she is required to make an application for a permit, ... are all lies, pulled out of thin air.

Leyla Pirnie explains that she takes up with men who abuse her and needs loaded firearms to protect herself.

Understandably, her roommates do not feel safe living with Leyla, her loaded firearms, or the possibility she may get into a gun fight in her bedroom to protect herself from an abusive boyfriend.

Leyla Pirnie is now making the rounds giving interviews on Fox, etc. about her privacy, and how she is being discriminated against for being a Trump supporter and an irresponsible gun owner.
It helps when folks can discuss their takes on this issue without getting bogged down in alternate versions of the "facts." This situation is complicated enough without that.

My only observation is that Pirnie appears to have changed her mind twice, not once. She backed out of what the roommates thought was an agreement to abide by Massachusetts law and keep the weapons properly secured (after the October 29th meeting). Then she changed her mind about moving out "as early as the of November." (For that, the full screen needs to be accessed and even then it's shaded. Then someone at the Daily Mail incorrectly slapped on a banner saying October.)

Last edited by EveryLady; 12-05-2018 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 07:43 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Thought I'd add a few more facts to the discussion. Just in case anyone is interested in actual facts rather than random opinions or outright nonsense.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm

Death rate by firearms in 2016 per 100,000 total population
:

21.5 - Alabama
3.4 - Massachusetts

Massachusetts is ranked as the state with the lowest death rate. While Alabama misses out on having the highest death rate by firearms because of Alaska.

Strange that we don't hear all that much about the carnage in Alabama.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thought I'd add a few more facts to the discussion. Just in case anyone is interested in actual facts rather than random opinions or outright nonsense.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm

Death rate by firearms in 2016 per 100,000 total population
:

21.5 - Alabama
3.4 - Massachusetts

Massachusetts is ranked as the state with the lowest death rate. While Alabama misses out on having the highest death rate by firearms because of Alaska.

Strange that we don't hear all that much about the carnage in Alabama.
Probably because no one gives a flip about people putting a gun barrel in their mouths.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 AM

8,496 posts, read 3,337,411 times
I can't help but wonder how some posters would react if their daughter called up and said "Dad or Mom, I have this roommate who has a bunch of loaded guns in her room not secured that she's keeping in case she needs to deal with an abusive boyfriend. This is making me really uncomfortable."

Would you (1) tell your daughter to chill or (2) suggest she buy her own weapon or (3) offer to pay a second rent so she can leave without disturbing Pirnie in any way or (4) send your daughter to psychological counseling or (5) contact the landlord for assistance and advice.

We know what the roommates did. Be honest. If this was your kid, would you really choose one of the other options? Most of you are responding about your own situations. That's not the issue here. And for those who try to correlate guns to cleaning solutions or knives, it is highly unlikely that the roommates will get caught in the crossfire from cleaning fluid!

Get real, c'mon.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
I think roommates have the right not to have to live with people who are keeping guns. I don't even think this is a worthwhile story.

Roommates have the right to live with people who DO own guns, if that is what they prefer. Not news.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that so many people are unaware that one can temporarily live in another state without becoming a legal resident of that state. Do you all live under a rock, or what?

Residency here really doesn't matter at all. Resident, non-resident? You step foot in MA you need to follow all laws regarding firearms regardless of where you call home and what the laws there are. There is a non-resident LTC you can apply for to obtain permission to carry concealed or possess firearms. If you are physically in MA, you follow all rules regarding storage and handling. That mean the rifle you have in a rack in the cab of your pickup now needs to go into a locked case, unloaded. Doesn't mattery where you live. Passing through the state under FOPA and staying in a hotel room? Better make sure you abide by every single letter of that law.

Live in NH and own an AR-15. Perfectly legal. Have it slung over your shoulder? Perfectly legal. Step one foot over the MA border and you can be thrown to the ground and charged with a large number of crimes, some of which are quite serious.

Open carry here is technically legal with a LTC, but nobody dare actually do it or the local chief will deem you "Unsuitable" and yank your license in a second. For a number of years the local firearm forum has been trying to organize an open carry rally and has failed to do so. Nobody wants to get their license yanked, and yes...the local chief has that power. Drive 45 min to the north in NH, and you can sling a rifle over your shoulder and walk down the street no problem at all.

You can rant and rave all you want about the constitution and how it should be followed but that's just not how it is here. You're preaching to the choir and I don't like it any more than you do, but this is the reality living here in MA. You walk a tightrope trying to navigate the firearm laws as they are very confusing and some even contradict each other. The local police don't always understand them either and tend to arrest, charge with various charges and let it get argued out after the fact. Nobody even understands the current AWB laws at this moment in time. They are banned, but not really banned? As a result, you can find yourself spending $10-20K+ trying to prove a point in court with no guarantee of a favorable outcome. As you'd expect, many people here don't want to be the test cast case to challenge a lot of the regulations.

Long story short, if you have an interest in firearms, don't live here. It's a lost cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think roommates have the right not to have to live with people who are keeping guns. I don't even think this is a worthwhile story.

Roommates have the right to live with people who DO own guns, if that is what they prefer. Not news.

Change guns to dogs and this story is one that gets repeated constantly. When I graduated college, I had a roommate that one day decided to sneak their dog into live with us. It was against the terms of the lease, and myself and other roommate wanted it gone while the roommate who brought it said there was nobody to watch him. Caused a lot of drama over the next few months...but never made the news as you'd expect. I really dislike dogs. Ended up living alone after that. Problem solved.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 12-05-2018 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 08:49 AM

57,240 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
She only has to comply with the state regulations of which she's a legal resident. US Constitution, Article IV.

I'll give you another vehicle example (since they're FAR more deadly than firearms)... IL state law requires that vehicles pass an emissions test in certain high population areas (e.g., Chicago metropolitan area) before the vehicle's registration can be renewed. However, vehicles registered out-of-state do not have to meet that requirement.

It absolutely is.
Failing a vehicle emissions test besides being a poor analogy is certainly not more dangerous than firearms. The issue is registration laws within a state.

No its not a constitutional issue, there have been plenty of non-residents arrested in MA and NY for illegal gun possession, I have yet to see a challenge.

Last edited by Goodnight; 12-05-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Residency here really doesn't matter at all. Resident, non-resident? You step foot in MA you need to follow all laws regarding firearms regardless of where you call home and what the laws there are. There is a non-resident LTC you can apply for to obtain permission to carry concealed or possess firearms. If you are physically in MA, you follow all rules regarding storage and handling. That mean the rifle you have in a rack in the cab of your pickup now needs to go into a locked case, unloaded. Doesn't mattery where you live. Passing through the state under FOPA and staying in a hotel room? Better make sure you abide by every single letter of that law.

Live in NH and own an AR-15. Perfectly legal. Have it slung over your shoulder? Perfectly legal. Step one foot over the MA border and you can be thrown to the ground and charged with a large number of crimes, some of which are quite serious.

Open carry here is technically legal with a LTC, but nobody dare actually do it or the local chief will deem you "Unsuitable" and yank your license in a second. For a number of years the local firearm forum has been trying to organize an open carry rally and has failed to do so. Nobody wants to get their license yanked, and yes...the local chief has that power. Drive 45 min to the north in NH, and you can sling a rifle over your shoulder and walk down the street no problem at all.

You can rant and rave all you want about the constitution and how it should be followed but that's just not how it is here. You're preaching to the choir and I don't like it any more than you do, but this is the reality living here in MA. You walk a tightrope trying to navigate the firearm laws as they are very confusing and some even contradict each other. The local police don't always understand them either and tend to arrest, charge with various charges and let it get argued out after the fact. Nobody even understands the current AWB laws at this moment in time. They are banned, but not really banned? As a result, you can find yourself spending $10-20K+ trying to prove a point in court with no guarantee of a favorable outcome. As you'd expect, many people here don't want to be the test cast case to challenge a lot of the regulations.

Long story short, if you have an interest in firearms, don't live here. It's a lost cause.

Change guns to dogs and this story is one that gets repeated constantly. When I graduated college, I had a roommate that one day decided to sneak their dog into live with us. It was against the terms of the lease, and myself and other roommate wanted it gone while the roommate who brought it said there was nobody to watch him. Caused a lot of drama over the next few months...but never made the news as you'd expect. I really dislike dogs. Ended up living alone after that. Problem solved.
That's an admission rarely seen, but one I relate to, fully understand, and respect.

Between that and most of the rest of your post, your stock has gained a good 20%.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

If this issue was discussed prior to cohabiting or if it is spelled out in the lease then yes you are right. If not then it is none of your roommates business what is in your private space.

Personally I think the other girls were good little northern liberals and they did not appreciate being stuck with this conservative southern girl. Of course this girl did make the choice to go up north and she should have known what northern people are like. I would think a wise choice after the lawsuits are settled would be to come back below Mason Dixon and leave the Yankees be if she doesn’t want to conform to their social and political norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies