Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:55 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
From the quotes of the landlord, it doesn't seem he formally asked her to leave - this was more kind of an idea that he thought would work best.

I can't tell how many roommates there are, but several places have phrases like "makes all of us uncomfortable". So it's more than 2.
There are six roommates, plus Pirnie.

Quote:
The landlord was correct in noting that if all the others were uncomfortable enough to move out, the gun owner would now be responsible for all the rent, which would be a real concern, and may not be something she had thought of.
Pirnie's aware of it. Her response was to go to the press (The Free Beacon) then subsequently do an interview with Fox News. She's quoted as saying in the Beacon article:

Quote:
Pirnie feels she's being punished for being a gun owner.

"I'm still very much so being threatened out of my apartment," she said. "Either I leave and incur moving expenses or my roommates move and I incur their rent expenses… Doesn't seem right.
https://freebeacon.com/issues/landlo...ly-owned-guns/

Sounds like she burned some bridges. For whatever reason, Pirnie was not particularly responsive to her roommates after what they thought was an agreement reached in the October meeting. They wrote of continued discussions and "tempers" and "emotions." Then when she changed her mind about moving out, the roommates still uncertain about whether the guns were properly stored reached out to the landlord. And, yes, it was the landlord's assessment that the "uncomfortable level of stress and tension for the entire household" was now unworkable. That a gun safe had finally appeared on the scene was simply too late.

This really isn't a press matter but Pirnie made it one. It's like a bad chess game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:58 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Rentals in college/university areas frequently have ALL tenants sign the lease. They are ALL jointly and/or severably liable for payment of the entire rent plus any consequent damages to the facilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If so, that should have been stipulated in the lease. Absent that, the rental property owner has no say in the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Yes, as long as it doesn’t violate law. Homeowner doesn’t want firearms in residence, just add it the the lease agreement. Very simple.
if so, then, presuming 1-year lease, she dont have to move out until 09.01.2019 so long she can afford the rent.

but if the six others moved in january and she moved in in september, does everyone renew for a 1-year period on 09.01.2018 ?; or, does everyone (including the new girl) re-sign on 01.01.2019 ?; or, does everyone have their own lease with different move out days ? ... seems messy.
is it even legal for 7 persons to share (i assume) 1 level of a 3 family in somerville (each unit needs 2 unblocked points of egress in case of emergency; each bedroom needs at least 1 window; a legal bedroom cannot be only accessable via another bedroom; ...).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 12-05-2018 at 02:09 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 02:13 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I wonder if the other roommates have all found other living arrangements by now.

Why live with a woman who needs to keep loaded guns around because of abusive relationships? What if a gun battle breaks out in her bedroom?

Plus, now that that Pirnie is giving interviews and articles are popping up in Breitbart, etc. the roommates themselves may soon be getting death threats.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I wonder if the other roommates have all found other living arrangements by now.

Why live with a woman who needs to keep loaded guns around because of abusive relationships? What if a gun battle breaks out in her bedroom?

Plus, now that that Pirnie is giving interviews and articles are popping up in Breitbart, etc. the roommates themselves may soon be getting death threats.
Exactly. I think I'd do a quick assessment and determine whether her fear that someone is actually going to come harm her (that is, all of them, because that's how this often works) and then get Mom and Dad to help out with moving expenses.

Get out of there quick.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I think I'd do a quick assessment and determine whether her fear that someone is actually going to come harm her (that is, all of them, because that's how this often works) and then get Mom and Dad to help out with moving expenses.

Get out of there quick.
That would be the sensible solution.

I'd take her at her word that she is in danger from prior boyfriend(s) and get the hell out. Crash at a friend's apartment until more long-term arrangements can be made.

Now that Pirnie is giving interviews, and the story is spreading to more outlets, they are also at risk from death threats from right wing gun nuts. As I recall, the restaurant that declined to provide dinner for Sarah Huckabee-Sanders had to close down for a time there were so many death threats.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:58 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If this issue was discussed prior to cohabiting or if it is spelled out in the lease then yes you are right. If not then it is none of your roommates business what is in your private space.
I disagree, a gun can be easily used against you. If I were living in a house with roommates I would not want to live in a house with a gun. What if that person snaps and decides to shoot you as happens so often in America? How can you control something like that? And the only way to defend yourself is to get a gun yourself?

I think every responsible gun owner needs to divulge they will be bringing a gun. If the roommates agree then it's their problem. But if the gun owner sneaks in a gun, now it becomes the right of the roommates to request a change.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I disagree, a gun can be easily used against you. If I were living in a house with roommates I would not want to live in a house with a gun. What if that person snaps and decides to shoot you as happens so often in America? How can you control something like that? And the only way to defend yourself is to get a gun yourself?

I think every responsible gun owner needs to divulge they will be bringing a gun. If the roommates agree then it's their problem. But if the gun owner sneaks in a gun, now it becomes the right of the roommates to request a change.
More than Pirnie shooting them over some nonsense, what about the abusive boyfriend(s) from the past that she refers to when she explains she needs loaded guns to protect herself?

How'd you like to be in the middle of that mess?

A responsible gun owner would have informed the roommates about the firearms, kept the guns locked and secured, and got the permit right away as required by law.

Pirnie did none of these things.

She needs to find some kindred spirits to live with.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:25 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:

What if a gun battle breaks out? Head over to the thread about the lady who took down an escape convict with her legally owned gun.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
More than Pirnie shooting them over some nonsense, what about the abusive boyfriend(s) from the past that she refers to when she explains she needs loaded guns to protect herself?

How'd you like to be in the middle of that mess?

A responsible gun owner would have informed the roommates about the firearms, kept the guns locked and secured, and got the permit right away as required by law.

Pirnie did none of these things.

She needs to find some kindred spirits to live with.
Again, how do you know she did not apply immediately for the permit. The article only mentions the interview appointment as part of the application process was scheduled in December.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post

Right = law, no such law exist. If the homeowner wants add a clause prohibiting guns, then fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies