Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 04:27 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

The gun was not secured in a locked gun safe.

She had an appointment on Dec. 11th about a permit to keep the gun in her apartment. So she is just now getting around to getting the permit.

She didn't tell her roommates she had a gun, didn't have a permit to keep it in the apartment, and didn't keep it secured in a gun safe.

And she's the wronged one because her roommates went through her belongings?

Please.

A college apartment with six other people and who knows how many of their friends roaming through is no place to keep unsecured guns.

Hopefully, she will find some gun-toting kindred spirits to share living quarters with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 04:31 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I guess if they're uncomfortable, and they're not the ones on the lease then maybe they should move. I suppose it depends on who was there first.
It's like the landlord said; someone has to pay the rent. If the all the roommates leave the house the gal with the gun will have to foot the $6,000 mo. rent bill.

That indicates it's the gun owner who signed the rental agreement.

College is a place where no one really knows what their roommate is like until they live with each other for a while. College also puts a lot of young adults under more pressure than they have ever faced before.

The combination of strangers under pressure can make living with a roommate really dicey sometimes. Living in a dormitory makes it relatively easy to move when roommates aren't getting along with each other, but when a bunch of strangers rent a house, it's much harder to move out or move in.

Personal quirks that don't amount to much elsewhere can tend to become really irritating to others, and if someone has a contentious personality, that can become really irritating and distracting. The worst part of that is in a rental, there's no escaping that person when study time is really important and any distraction can be bad.

Kids are kids. Getting into each other's stuff always happens to some degree in college. The only way to avoid it is to live alone, but even then it can happen. There isn't a lot of privacy in most roommate situations on or off campus.

Harvard costs about $60,000 a year to attend. And the school is very demanding. Failure to perform can end up costing a student dearly, both in a financial way, as a loan for a dropout still has to be paid, and in their academic record.

Graduate school is where those pressures are at their highest.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:17 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It looks like it's not the gun-owner who has PTSD. It's one of the other roommates. Leyla is the one with the gun and Aureile is the one with the PTSD who lost a friend in a shooting.
It's the snowflake me-me generation. This reminds me of the case with trannies - they're mentally ill but everyone else is expected to bend over backwards to accommodate the mess living between their ears.

Auriele should definitely move out, and should Leyla choose to move due to the hostile environment created by Auriele, Auriele should pay for her movers and other expenses as well. Justice served.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
http://flip.it/1_RYPZ

how do y'all feel about this ? i think gun owners are not a protected class so its the owners will to legally discriminate.

the roomates are obvious a-holes for rumaging thru her stuff while she was away.

this no different than my cousins who evicted a couple from his 3-family in somerville because they had a dog.
FOX "news" running out of......."news"?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:58 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Private university. Private property.

Harvard can ban knives if they want.
the article is stupid. this has nothing to do with harvard. it is an off-campas apartment. no idea why its in the headline.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:09 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I can see it from both POVs. But Here's the part I don't understand.

So she says she's trained to "handle the firearms" but she leaves it unsecure where anyone in the apartment, including someone who may have broken it, could find it. I'd be interested to know if it was loaded. The roommies were wrong to go through her stuff, but she was wrong t leave a gun where it could be found.

The landlord should also put it in the lease whether guns can be on property or not.
This is the best response in the thread, though we don't agree very often, Joe.

The roomies were absolutely wrong to invade her privacy and go though her stuff. But having found the gun, presumably unsecured, their concern about its presence is solidly rational and justified. There have been way too many tragic events involving guns in hands of people who should never be allowed near them to casually accept this without question. If I were involved, I would want the gun(s) far removed from the premises.

In most cases, my sympathies are with the rights of the individual, but guns are in a separate category all by themselves. It is perhaps the toughest issue we grapple with today.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's like the landlord said; someone has to pay the rent. If the all the roommates leave the house the gal with the gun will have to foot the $6,000 mo. rent bill.

the real headline should be somerville is outa' control.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:19 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This is the best response in the thread, though we don't agree very often, Joe.

The roomies were absolutely wrong to invade her privacy and go though her stuff. But having found the gun, presumably unsecured, their concern about its presence is solidly rational and justified. There have been way too many tragic events involving guns in hands of people who should never be allowed near them to casually accept this without question. If I were involved, I would want the gun(s) far removed from the premises.

In most cases, my sympathies are with the rights of the individual, but guns are in a separate category all by themselves. It is perhaps the toughest issue we grapple with today.
If you bought a hand gun for home protection, then "secure it" you may as well not have it in the amount of time it would take you to find the keys or key the code to unlock it from a safe. Best bet is tell the others early on and get them to a handgun safety course in case anyone that lived there needed to use it. If you want it unloaded then keep a mag close to you while in that building.

The best you can do with an unloaded handgun is throw it at someone.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you bought a hand gun for home protection, then "secure it" you may as well not have it in the amount of time it would take you to find the keys or key the code to unlock it from a safe. Best bet is tell the others early on and get them to a handgun safety course in case anyone that lived there needed to use it. If you want it unloaded then keep a mag close to you while in that building.

The best you can do with an unloaded handgun is throw it at someone.
I have never needed a handgun for home protection in 69 years. Best bet is to choose a setting in which to live where other common sense measures (than keeping firearms) keep you safe.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:36 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I have never needed a handgun for home protection in 69 years. Best bet is to choose a setting in which to live where other common sense measures (than keeping firearms) keep you safe.
You got lucky. This area we live it had nothing happen for 30 years but one day 8 houses got burglarized while some were even home. Two were bound and beaten and the husband almost died before they were robbed. I'm pretty sure that they wish they had a way to deter that guy, aka a hand gun. The wife said they could hear him coming through the side window but nothing they could do as their bedroom they were in had no exit past the hallway.

Best bet is hedge your bets by having a firearm and knowing how to use it. The cops are minutes away when you have seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies