Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:21 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sounds more right-wing to me. He even hired Rudy Giuliani when he was Mayor of Mexico City.

I think he is just another lier who uses leftist rhetoric because that's what people want to hear. We'll see what he's made of in the following weeks. If he really tries to do what he promised, the news will start saying Mexico will turn into another Venezuela. That is how international policies are carried by the US, you're with us or against us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 11:23 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Also he doesn't seem to have to much support from the indigenous groups in the south which are the most heavily left wing groups.

edit: Though Jacobin claims Obrador's party is Morena is a left wing split of the PRD, but I'm still in a weight and see attitude with him.
It is my understanding that Obrador won decisively in all states, including the southern states, but lost to PAN in Guanajuato in central Mexico. Obrador's party also picked up governorships in the southern states.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:24 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sounds more right-wing to me. He even hired Rudy Giuliani when he was Mayor of Mexico City.
and you think Rudy is right wing? LOL.........Rudy was mayor of one of the most liberal cities in the U.S.A in New York City.....maybe Obrador wanted his advise in running a big city and dealing with crime.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:31 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It is my understanding that Obrador won decisively in all states, including the southern states, but lost to PAN in Guanajuato in central Mexico. Obrador's party also picked up governorships in the southern states.
The south rarely votes in large numbers.

It's about low voter turn out, and from my understanding the indigenous groups weren't motivated enough to vote for Obrador.

I'd be wary of him.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
and you think Rudy is right wing? LOL.........Rudy was mayor of one of the most liberal cities in the U.S.A in New York City.....maybe Obrador wanted his advise in running a big city and dealing with crime.
Rudy is a republican.

In latin America leftism is still a real political stance, not like here were the democratic party is considered the 'left'.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:39 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I know nothing about Mexican politics or its domestic issues, but this is interesting. Experts compare him to Chavez.

https://youtu.be/gqhJIkaOTFY
Perhaps it would benefit you to do a little research

Obrador is the third straight Mexican President not directly endorsed by the dominant Institutional Revolutionary (How's that again?) Party; (PRI) -- descendants and inheritors from a clique of secular academics who founded a system of one-party rule that has existed for ninety years.

Fox was elected by a fragile alliance between PAN, the radical Left, and a small-but-growing Mexican middle class who, like our own Libertarians, take a strong interest in statecraft but understand that the economy will have to do a lot of growing before serious pluralism can take root.

(And I'm quite sure that there are plenty of hacks and grafters within our own Democratic Party who wouldn't mind in the least if a flood of illegal immigration turned our nation into something modeled on Mexico in PRI's glory days).

Obrador isn't going to morph into the next Hugo Chavez, and the idea that American interference would topple him is just something picked up from the floor and thrown from the Lefties' Monkey Island; ditto for Mexico's plutocrats, who have long-standing ties with PRI. He will get a further education in the art of mega-machine politics as practiced by the PRI functionaries who rule Mexico on a day-to-day basis; and that's about all.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-02-2018 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 12:05 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I've been reading about Obrador and he sounds sincere. He wants to start a rebirth of Mexico and it will be for ordinary people. He has chosen not to live in the lavish mansion reserved for him but is turning it into a museum. He rides around in a cheap older car.

AND on today, his first day, he signed deals with the central American governments, trying to make them stop sending loads of people through Mexico to the USA.

He offers to take those migrants and give them jobs. He also wants to start businesses and even put people to work building a railroad.

He has a lot of good ideas. Wants to build a large police force to stop crime. If he has his way, Mexico might become a decent place and a good neighbor to the USA.

Of course, some spoiled rich billionaires might kill him...but I hope not. He has also promised to only serve one term. He's not in it for his ego or for power. I truly wish him good luck.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:05 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Cracking down on urban thuggery is not something I would consider “left wing”.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:15 AM

1,675 posts, read 576,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've been reading about Obrador and he sounds sincere. He wants to start a rebirth of Mexico and it will be for ordinary people. He has chosen not to live in the lavish mansion reserved for him but is turning it into a museum. He rides around in a cheap older car.

AND on today, his first day, he signed deals with the central American governments, trying to make them stop sending loads of people through Mexico to the USA.

He offers to take those migrants and give them jobs. He also wants to start businesses and even put people to work building a railroad.

He has a lot of good ideas. Wants to build a large police force to stop crime. If he has his way, Mexico might become a decent place and a good neighbor to the USA.

Of course, some spoiled rich billionaires might kill him...but I hope not. He has also promised to only serve one term. He's not in it for his ego or for power. I truly wish him good luck.
If they want to kill him he made it very easy for them. He is getting rid of the presidential airplane and the huge security force protecting him, and just riding in an old jetta. But if he really create more jobs, raises their wages and end the war on drugs like he promised, he will be assassinated or at least taken out of power.

US corporations will not allow more competition and higher wages, higher prices, etc. It is simple economic principles: Produce through cheap labour, with cheap raw materials and sell at a good profit. That's the type of things they call "national security."

I just heard what he said this morning and he keeps making promises about security and social programs. He also said he will continue to talk to indigenous people and working class every weekend, like has always done. I think he has no chance.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
If they want to kill him he made it very easy for them. He is getting rid of the presidential airplane and the huge security force protecting him, and just riding in an old jetta. But if he really create more jobs, raises their wages and end the war on drugs like he promised, he will be assassinated or at least taken out of power.

US corporations will not allow more competition and higher wages, higher prices, etc. It is simple economic principles: Produce through cheap labour, with cheap raw materials and sell at a good profit. That's the type of things they call "national security."

I just heard what he said this morning and he keeps making promises about security and social programs. He also said he will continue to talk to indigenous people and working class every weekend, like has always done. I think he has no chance.
Im not sure what that means to 'end the drug war' in Mexico...They do not have a serious drug problem, as no one can afford to be an addict.

All the drugs the cartels produce and distribute, go into the US, that is where the demand is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies