Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 05:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Not by simply owning a gun but by demanding rights to take a loaded anywhere, everywhere, shoot it anywhere you want, even on a school playground for example (which is something gun rights advocates want to do) is definitely putting gun owner's rights above rights of everyone else.
I've been participating in the thread in good faith, but I now feel that you have not. Please show me one instance of a gun owner demanding the right to shoot a gun on a school playground.

If we're just making things up I think we need to resist gun control advocates because their stated goal is to disarm the general population so that they can rape children and widowers without the risk of being shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You're reaching back 40 years to whine about Republicans and I'm telling you about what Democrats are doing across the country at the state level TODAY. Are you 80?
I think what this individual is trying to do is divide us, by trying to get us to not vote for Republicans. It's called divide and conquer. Sure there have been some anti gun bills enacted by Republicans. But the overwhelming amount of them have been enacted by Democrats who have made it no secret of their disdain for the 2nd Amendment and their desire to ban and confiscate lawfully held firearms.

We are a two party system. It's got to be one party or the other, unfortunately it comes down to voting for the lessor of two evils. A third or multi party system is not a viable option. As you could end up with 34% controlling the government that 66% would be opposed to if the other 66% were evenly split. Or you could end up with 11% controlling the government if the other 89% were evenly split if there were 10 different political parties. The Weimar Republic was in existence for 13 years, during that time some forty parties were represented in the Reichstag. We can see how well that worked out.

Quote:
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."--Diane Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California

In an op-ed published in the New York Times Tuesday, the 97-year-old former Supreme Court justice argues that advocates for stricter gun control legislation should take the next step and demand the removal of the Second Amendment entirely.--http://time.com/5216782/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment/

"Instead, we should ban possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, we should buy back such weapons from all who choose to abide by the law, and we should criminally prosecute any who choose to defy it by keeping their weapons," he wrote. "The ban would not apply to law enforcement agencies or shooting clubs."--Eric Swalwell

“I believe…..this is my final word……I believe that I’m supporting the Constitution of the United States which does not give the right for any individual to own a handgun….”--Jan Schakowsky, U.S. Representative from Illinois

“No, we’re not looking at how to control criminals … we’re talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns.”--Howard Metzenbaum, former U.S. Senator

“If a bill to ban handguns came to the house floor, I would vote for it.”--Pete Stark, U.S. Representative from California

” …we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns”--William Clay, U.S. Representative from Missouri

“Banning guns is an idea whose time has come.”--Joseph Biden, Vice President of the United States

“I shortly will introduce legislation banning the sale, manufacture or possession of handguns (with exceptions for law enforcement and licensed target clubs)… . It is time to act. We cannot go on like this. Ban them!”--John Chafee, Former U.S. Senator from Rhode Island

“We have to start with a ban on the manufacturing and import of handguns. From there we register the guns which are currently owned, and follow that with additional bans and acquisitions of handguns and rifles with no sporting purpose.”--Major Owens, U.S. Representative from New York

“My staff and I right now are working on a comprehensive gun-control bill. We don’t have all the details, but for instance, regulating the sale and purchase of bullets. Ultimately, I would like to see the manufacture and possession of handguns banned except for military and police use. But that’s the endgame. And in the meantime, there are some specific things that we can do with legislation.”--Bobby Rush, U.S. Representative from Illinois

“Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe. The National Guard fulfills the militia mentioned in the Second amendment. Citizens no longer need to protect the states or themselves.”--Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California

“All of this has to be understood as part of a process leading ultimately to a treaty that will give an international body power over our domestic laws.”--Charles Pashayan, U.S. Representative from California

“Confiscation could be an option…mandatory sale to the state could be an option.”--Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York

San Diego’s [police chief] Lansdowne, who plays an active role in the western region of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), said in the interview it may take a generation, but guns will eventually be taken off the streets through new laws.

"My view of guns is simple. I hate guns and I cannot imagine why anyone would want to own one. If I had my way, guns for sport would be registered, and all other guns would be banned."-- Deborah Prothrow-Stith (Dean of Harvard School of Public Health)

“I don’t believe people should to be able to own guns.”-- Barack Obama (during conversation with economist and author John Lott Jr. at the University of Chicago Law School in the 1990s)

"A gun-control movement worthy of the name would insist that President Clinton move beyond his proposals for controls ... and immediately call on Congress to pass far-reaching industry regulation like the Firearms Safety and Consumer Protection Act ... [which] would give the Treasury Department health and safety authority over the gun industry, and any rational regulator with that authority would ban handguns."
- Josh Sugarmann (executive director of the Violence Policy Center)

"We need a new paradigm because both sides are in the corner and they could come to the middle," Schumer said. "Those of who are pro-gun control have to admit that there is a Second Amendment right to bear arms... once we establish that there is a constitutional right to bear arms we should have the right admit, and maybe they'll be more willing to admit, that no amendment is absolute after all."--Chuck Schumer, U.S. Senator from New York

"We can't just stand behind you and say we support our men and women in law enforcement community and then not have the laws on the books that help you do your job every day," he said. "And it's time as a city we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a state that we have an assault weapon ban. And it's time as a country that we have an assault weapon ban."--Rahm Emanuel, Mayor Chicago, Illinois

"We need to do something, at the very least, perhaps, about the high-capacity magazines that were used in this crime."--Richard Blumenthal, U.S. Senator from Connecticut

“I don’t care if you want to hunt. I don’t care if you think it’s your right. I say, ‘Sorry.’ It is 1999. We have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun, and if you do own a gun I think you should go to prison.--Rosie O'Donnell, Comedian

"We cannot let a minority of people—and that’s what it is, it is a minority of people—hold a viewpoint that terrorizes the majority of people." On Australia's gun ban "So I think that’s worth considering," Clinton said. "I don’t know enough details to tell you how we would do it or how it would work. But certainly, the Australian example is worth considering."----Hillary Clinton

George Stephanopoulos pushed Clinton twice on whether people have a right to own guns on ABC News’ "This Week": “But that's not what I asked. I said do you believe that their conclusion that an individual's right to bear arms is a constitutional right?” Clinton could only say: “If it is a constitutional right...”

"I can find nothing in the Second Amendment’s text, history, or underlying rationale that could warrant characterizing it as ‘fundamental’ insofar as it seeks to protect the keeping and bearing of arms for private self-defense purposes.”--Steven Breyer, Supreme Court Justice

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-03-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Should there be mandatory jail time for anyone who accidentally kills someone with a firearm? If we have rights to own guns, shouldn't those rights come with responsibilities?
Is there mandatory jail time for anyone accidentally kill someone in a car accident?

Go with the same rule.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Should there be mandatory jail time for anyone who accidentally kills someone with a firearm? If we have rights to own guns, shouldn't those rights come with responsibilities?
No more or less than any other mode of accidental death.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:27 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Not by simply owning a gun but by demanding rights to take a loaded anywhere, everywhere, shoot it anywhere you want, even on a school playground for example (which is something gun rights advocates want to do) is definitely putting gun owner's rights above rights of everyone else.

I do not feel sorry for gun owners if they are inconvenienced by background checks and regulations on using guns. They should stop looking for pity.
I don't feel sorry for people so ignorant they don't even understand any of the existing laws on firearm ownership.

They should stay indoors with doors locked for safety.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:29 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
The left wants a police state but they won't say it will target the urban poor more than any other group.
Complain about police brutality and racism then and you'll get mowed down in the streets.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:41 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla;
Of course not

Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:

I do not feel sorry for gun owners if they are inconvenienced by background checks and regulations on using guns. They should stop looking for pity.
I'm going to assume that your "shoot it anywhere you want" statement was inadvertently stuck in the middle of the carry statement and you are saying that all gun owners want to carry loaded on a school playground.

Well, that's legal here in MS as long as the property is city, county or state owned. Playground associated with a private daycare facility? Their property, their rules. As you can see see from previous posts, gun owners are also big on private property rights.

Before you throw out this scenario, I would never build a gun range in my back yard. It would not be safe and it would annoy the neighbors. That infringes on their private property rights as well. You only read about the lunatic gun owners in the news. If we were all like that, the population of the US would drop drastically in a matter of days.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:50 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I think what this individual is trying to do is divide us, by trying to get us to not vote for Republicans. It's called divide and conquer. Sure there have been some anti gun bills enacted by Republicans. But the overwhelming amount of them have been enacted by Democrats who have made it no secret of their disdain for the 2nd Amendment and their desire to ban and confiscate lawfully held firearms.

We are a two party system. It's got to be one party or the other, unfortunately it comes down to voting for the lessor of two evils. A third or multi party system is not a viable option. As you could end up with 34% controlling the government that 66% would be opposed to if the other 66% were evenly split. Or you could end up with 11% controlling the government if the other 89% were evenly split if there were 10 different political parties. The Weimar Republic was in existence for 13 years, during that time some forty parties were represented in the Reichstag. We can see how well that worked out.
Thank you for the post.

I agree that the poster I was responding to was trying to do something. It seemed to me like he was cheerleading for today's Democrat Party, which every gun owner in America should be very, very afraid of. Today's Democrat Party wants to delete the 2nd amendment and confiscate all guns even though few of them openly admit it.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:57 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I've already pointed out how guns are different from cars. The sole purpose of a gun is to kill someone or something. That's not the purpose of cars. Cars are for transportation.
You have stated your opinion. My family has owned guns for as long as I can remember. I'm a gun owner. I have never killed anything with a gun. People own guns as collector, for target shooting, for protection hoping they never have to kill anything or anyone.

People own cars for transportation, people collect cars, people use cars for racing, for derby's, people even make out in cars.

The intended purpose of an object makes no difference.
The number one of accidental deaths is poisoning (mostly drugs) followed by vehicle accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies