Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US Government and NY Stock Exchange close because an Ex US President died?
Yes, it seems like the right thing to do 6 50.00%
No, It cost the taxpayers and investors too much money 6 50.00%
Maybe, workers should be allowed to come in if they want to work 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:37 AM

34 posts, read 22,878 times

Advertisements

Ex-President George HW Bush has died. I liked him and thought he was a good President and American.

But because he died the taxpayers will be forced to pay millions of Federal Workers who will now have the day off. They will sit at home and I doubt any of them will do much mourning about President Bush. They will have a paid day of leisure because someone died. Most government contractors who work at US Government Buildings, on the other hand, will be forced to sit home and take a vacation day because they will not be able to go into work.

The New York Stock Exchange will also close which will cost potentially billions in investment trading fees and investment returns. The people who work at the NY Exchange will either be given a paid holiday or forced to take a vacation day.

I liked President Bush but something about this seems inefficient and expensive in the modern world. Your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 04:50 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
I don't think all the federal offices and jobs will be shut down for a day. They weren't closed when other former presidents died, so I doubt it will happen now. The flags will be lowered to half-staff in remembrance, and there may be a moment of silence, but it will be a working day for them all.

Private contractors can do as they wish, as they don't have to follow the same labor rules as the government workers.

The Stock Market has always closed to honor a deceased president. It's one of their traditions. It doesn't cost stockholders anything, as trading is suspended and frozen for 24 hours. The same suspension happens every Saturday and Sunday and on all national holidays. The stock prices just stay where they are until trading resumes.

We don't have very many traditions in comparison to most other nations, but one of them is honoring a deceased president. Since they are so few- we haven't even had 50 presidents serve yet in our history- the costs are very infrequent and minimal in comparison to other closures.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
The simple answer is if you get the day off, it is fair. For the majority, it is not fair.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,643,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post
Ex-President George HW Bush has died. I liked him and thought he was a good President and American.

But because he died the taxpayers will be forced to pay millions of Federal Workers who will now have the day off. They will sit at home and I doubt any of them will do much mourning about President Bush. They will have a paid day of leisure because someone died. Most government contractors who work at US Government Buildings, on the other hand, will be forced to sit home and take a vacation day because they will not be able to go into work.

The New York Stock Exchange will also close which will cost potentially billions in investment trading fees and investment returns. The people who work at the NY Exchange will either be given a paid holiday or forced to take a vacation day.

I liked President Bush but something about this seems inefficient and expensive in the modern world. Your thoughts.
Talk to the old folks or ones on their death bed.
Ask them if they regret not spending more time at work.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,697,247 times
Another government shutdown to panic about. It’s all a Republican’s fault.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
When the Queen of England dies. London stock exchange William shutdown for an whole entire week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies