Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 05:22 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You know. Promises made. Promises kept thing.

Trump campaigned on a promise to repeal and replace with something better for everyone that will cost a fraction of what insurance does today. Remember, he said it was going to be so easy.
Politicians lie and make promises they cant possibly fulfill. No its not okay, but you keep looking to them for the answer, worse yet you've empowered them to find one.
Trump isn't a doctor, congress isn't full of medical experts, so why on earth are people looking to them for their health care?
The damage wrought by govt schools and mass media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't think Trump paid too much attention to what was coming out of his flapping gums during the campaign. I think he felt that the checks his mouth was writing would never be cashed, because he would lose. I think it is likely he may not have even wanted to win.
He needs to be loved. He understands ratings. He knew promising “better healthcare at a tiny fraction of the cost ( premiums) “ went over well which is why he repeated it at every rally.

Then come the inauguration speech- crickets.

You may be right. Perhaps he never pondered winning.

The closer it got to Election Day, the more he pontificated about how the election was rigged including calling the Electorial College a rigged system.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
While I'm happy for you aqua, my health insurance premiums have tripled since Ocare was implemented. I lost my longtime doctor after my insurance company decided not to participate in any private insurance in our state, and I'm never sure from year to year if I will be able to buy private insurance. Every year our options have been truncated. we don't receive subsidies from other taxpayers to pay for our health insurance.

do you ever wonder who is subsidizing your $1.00 a month insurance premiums? other working people are paying for your health insurance subsidy out of their paychecks.
What does “ lost my doctor after my insurance company decided not to participate in any private insurance in our state” mean?

Do you mean your doctor decided to not participate in any insurance network or something else?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Not a tax expert but I would say yes. If you work for megacorp and receive $24,000 in healthcare benefits, you don't have to pay income or payroll tax on that amount. That's a subsidy. This article explains it pretty well:

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brie...insurance-work

Granted subsidies are a divisive issue but if employees get government subsidized health insurance why should those on ACA be treated differently?

Full disclosure - we are usually slightly above the ACA income/subsidy threshold. That means that we pay the full cost if we can't mitigate income with IRA's or HSA's. Fair or not, those just above the income limit pay far more as a percent of income for health care premiums than most other people. I think this should be tweaked.
A sliding scale could mitigate some of this.

Health insurance premiums paid by the self employed have been 100% deductible since 2003, no?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That was a movie.
Current law requires the hospital to evaluate and treat the child.
Big diff between stabilization and treating.

For 33 years, ERs have been required by Federal Law to accept anyone who walks through the door, the ER can bill the patient/ insurer for services.

5 states and counting have enacted state regulations that all Medicaid and private insurers may deny claims for routine healthcare in the ER to discourage people from using the ER for routine healthcare.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:33 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Just making everything about race. The way of the world. Obamacare is awesome, unless you're a WASP, then you pay out the ying yang for it... I've opted to pay the penalty (thanks Obama!) every year, it's waaaaay cheaper than Obamacare.
There is no penalty anymore.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I understand his point. Think about it.

You do realize that Obamacare royally screwed a lot of people right? It screwed people who are not poor enough to get help but not rich either, the same people who are always screwed when gov't says they are here to help.

The poor get gov't help that comes in many forms, the rich skirt around having to pay for it, and the guy in the middle gets screwed with your bill plus paying for their own.
Can you share how the 'rich skirt around having to pay for it'? I am high earner and I assure you, I pay out the nose for the ACA. My premiums and deductibles skyrocketed like everyone else plus, I got socked with a slew of new taxes. Please tell me how I can skirt around it?

Old 12-04-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
One of my daughters is also very lucky she has Obamacare! Her alcoholic husband works as a Industrial Plumber, and will not use his beer money for health insurance for her or their son(his is provided through work),but Thanks to Obamacare, the sorry creep now has to pay for Obamacare for them!
She ended up in the ER one night with dangerously high blood pressure, and is now controlling it with medication at very low cost. You can bet that she is thrilled with Obamacare!
Maybe she should have made better choices in life.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What she earns is immaterial. The point is she was basically crowing about being on welfare. Talk about rude.
Oh, she was not gloating and what she posted wasn't rude. Stop pointing at her to justify bad behavior on your part.

But speaking of rude posts, if you have so much trouble identifying them, see your responses to JAMS14.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
First of all, keeping your own money is not a subsidy. Perhaps you need some remedial English lessons. If I keep my money, that's not a subsidy. If you take my money and give it to someone else, THATS a subsidy. Learn to use words properly.
You keep your money because the government is subsidizing your healthcare, so you don't have to lay it out to begin with. You could never afford your employer-based health insurance without that lucrative government benefit.

But you got yours, so you are more than happy to pull the ladder up behind you and make sure anybody who doesn't have employer-based insurance doesn't get the same lucrative government benefit you have been enjoying for years.

That's really what it comes down to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies