Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That is what the OP has now. Nothing covered until they fork out $8K if sick.
Catastrophic is way better than nothing. I couldn't have health insurance without the subsidy for the premium.

Obamacare has made me less of a burden on society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 03:34 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Not true. She has a yearly preventative care visit, which includes an annual checkup and blood work and screening tests, all free of charge. And she has the peace of mind of knowing that if she ends up in the hospital, she will be covered. If she has to pay down an $8,000 deductible, it's much more manageable than paying down a hospital bill of hundreds of thousands of dollars. And she knows that she can never be denied coverage due to a preexisting condition, which just about every one of us has in some form or another.

If you've never gone without health insurance you have no idea what that peace of mind is worth.
That's right. Yearly preventive care is included, as well as a mammogram and a colonoscopy.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:44 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Sction 8
Welfare
Free and reduced lunch
Earned income credit

Blah, blah, blah. Kids in the US DO NOT go hungry.
You forgot WIC and food stamps plus food banks.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:48 PM

563 posts, read 281,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
That is what the OP has now. Nothing covered until they fork out $8K if sick.
ACA policies cover 10 essentials, focus on preventative care, can be obtained even if you have pre-existing conditions, and have no lifetime caps.

Prior to the ACA if you had a chronic, debilitating condition, had a child with one, or dropped out of the workforce because of cancer, heart attack, stroke, etc., you were screwed.

I like this data point: "Obamacare reduced the number of bankruptcy filings. In 2010, 1.5 million people filed. That dropped to 770,846 by 2016. The ACA forced insurance companies to cover all costs by eliminating annual and lifetime limits. That reduced unexpected catastrophic costs for individuals."

https://www.thebalance.com/benefits-...he-aca-3306066

I agree that an $8k deductible sounds high. For most people, however, $8K is not going to force them into bankruptcy. Also, preventative care is free and whatever care beyond that is paid for at rates bargained by the insurer. I would venture a guess that most people never come close to their deductible. We're going into year 4 on ACA and we've paid a grand total of less than $500 out-of-pocket, not including premiums. That's TOTAL for the prior 3 years.

BTW, I believe those with lower incomes also qualify for much lower deductible.

OP, great post. There's been some good back-and-forth on this thread.

Last edited by Gator Fan 79; 12-04-2018 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 04:05 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Just wanted to say that I am very thankful for it.

I had great health insurance for 25 years through my employer. After I moved to a different state and got a new job that couldn't offer me health insurance because of geographic limitations, my only affordable option was to enroll in an ACA plan. It worked out great for me. I make 17/hour and my monthly premium is under $1.00. The deductible is high ($8,000), but regular yearly doctor visits and mammograms are covered, and generic prescriptions are fairly reasonable.

Your Welcome

$575.00 a month with a 10K deductible

If only 11 million people have Obama-Care, how will 24 million people die if it is repealed? Will an additional 13 million people be randomly shot, poisoned,, or spayed

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:16 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Let's take this away from you and watch you screech because you can't afford your health insurance without the government giving you a great big tax free handout every year. Because no one can afford un-subsidized health insurance, not even you. If you think you can, go on COBRA for a few months. That's what your health insurance would cost without that nice, big, juicy government handout of tax free benefits.

No one would whine louder than those mooches taking this benefit every year while calling everyone else a mooch.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

You are thinking like a pre-ACA employee who doesn't look beyond the end her nose, and thinks all there was was employer coverage or COBRA.

Look through CD proficiently enough and you will find posts from people in past threads writing that they have individual plans that they are paying for themselves, both pre-ACA and post implementation, and some of them obviously don't need the write off in order to afford it.

In this thread someone in Michigan posted that they had to get private insurance after 65 because they hadn't worked enough full time quarters to qualify for Medicare. That person is getting a subsidy, but it is unlikely that everyone who is on the plan she is on is in her position.

I know a number of people who have individual ACA plans, and other individual arrangements, myself included, and not a one of us needs a tax deduction to be able to pay for it.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:22 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I'm grateful for the ACA, too. My premium is around $120/month, with a $3,900 deductible.

Thanks, Obama!

Correction: Thank your fellow taxpayers. I, and many others, are paying for your insurance, not Obama.

I don't mind helping out the less fortunate, but they should at least acknowledge that their fellow Americans are footing the bill. It's ironic that people vilify the "rich" for not paying their "fair" share of taxes while simultaneously reaping the benefits of the fact that the rich pay far, far more than their fair share.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
He needs to be loved. He understands ratings. He knew promising “better healthcare at a tiny fraction of the cost ( premiums) “ went over well which is why he repeated it at every rally.

Then come the inauguration speech- crickets.

You may be right. Perhaps he never pondered winning.

The closer it got to Election Day, the more he pontificated about how the election was rigged including calling the Electorial College a rigged system.
Yep.

And I've posted in other threads that I think that the three reasons that rise above others as to why he ran (in no particular order of significance) are:

1. To 'ruffle Obama's feathers' a bit as payback for making fun of him at the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner.

2. To make his brand more prominent.

3. To be able to say (thinking he would lose) that "the system is rigged" until he takes his last breath.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:31 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Your Welcome

$575.00 a month with a 10K deductible

If only 11 million people have Obama-Care, how will 24 million people die if it is repealed? Will an additional 13 million people be randomly shot, poisoned,, or spayed

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
Bold: That's the first goto meme on the left, even when it makes zero sense and the numbers don't add up.

Larry Summers claimed 10k people a year would die from the tax reform bill.

Didn't a Democrat say "500M Americans would die" because of some conservative bill? That was great for laugh considering this country has 350m or so.

"Conservatives want to throw old people off cliffs"

Red: The tipping point comes when there are fewer doers than there are takers. Add to that the new study by CIS which says 62% of non-citizen households use welfare, compared to 35% of citizens. That basically disproves the obscene notion that illegal immigrants make better citizens than us.

https://cis.org/Report/63-NonCitizen...lfare-Programs

I'd say we are not only heading toward the tipping point cliff but hitting the gas like maniacs.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
You keep your money because the government is subsidizing your healthcare, so you don't have to lay it out to begin with. You could never afford your employer-based health insurance without that lucrative government benefit.

But you got yours, so you are more than happy to pull the ladder up behind you and make sure anybody who doesn't have employer-based insurance doesn't get the same lucrative government benefit you have been enjoying for years.

That's really what it comes down to.
You are ignoring that there are people who have ACA plans who aren't getting subsidies. There are at least two on this thread alone, moi and Grlzrl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies