Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 AM

21,930 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That doesn't solve the problem and you are saying there should be no independent contractors or self employed people if they cannot afford expensive individual insurance. So we are slaves to certain companies, and stuck in jobs because this country decades back stupidly got employers mixed up with our health care, and stayed with that ridiculous system.
Oh, please. With the strong job market (AS WE ARE NOT IN THANKS TO TRUMP), you can change jobs. That was just another BS line Obama used to try to sell this monstrosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Correction: Thank your fellow taxpayers. I, and many others, are paying for your insurance, not Obama.

I don't mind helping out the less fortunate, but they should at least acknowledge that their fellow Americans are footing the bill. It's ironic that people vilify the "rich" for not paying their "fair" share of taxes while simultaneously reaping the benefits of the fact that the rich pay far, far more than their fair share.
Yep.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yep.

And I've posted in other threads that I think that the three reasons that rise above others as to why he ran (in no particular order of significance) are:

1. To 'ruffle Obama's feathers' a bit as payback for making fun of him at the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner.

2. To make his brand more prominent.

3. To be able to say (thinking he would lose) that "the system is rigged" until he takes his last breath.
That's total crap. There is a video circulating as far back as the 80's about how he thought we needed to fix the mess these politicians created in this country. He is saying all the same stuff he says now.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You are ignoring that there are people who have ACA plans who aren't getting subsidies. There are at least two on this thread alone, moi and Grlzrl.
Not sure where you got the idea I am in ACA. We have insurance through work.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You are completely wrong. It's not BILLIONAIRES who are being taxed into oblivion with the ACA. There was a slew of new taxes, one of the highest in history on people making over $250k. Last I checked, no one making $250k was a billionaire.

AND to correct you on another lie you spread, the Trump tax cuts were NOT a giveaway to the rich. Higher earners are going to get socked in the gut, especially those in blue states.
What you said is absolutely incorrect. People back in the 60s paid far higher in taxes (marginal rate) than you do today: https://web.stanford.edu/class/polis...20Brackets.pdf

And what I wrote is that billionaires, and multimillionaires can be the only one's confident to say they're paying more taxes than they're using. You on the other hand (unless you're a multimillionaire etc) cannot say for sure that you're not using some government program more than you're paying into it.

You just don't like paying taxes, but get over it.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
The difference is that we had a choice to not buy the insurance if we thought it was a crappy deal.

You had that choice with ACA too. And you have that choice now too.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not sure where you got the idea I am in ACA. We have insurance through work.

Insurance from work is ACA compliant. Such as requiring free preventative check ups and allowing <26 on parent's plan and plan not having pre-existing conditions restrictions.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I guess this is tough for many to believe, but I had insurance prior to BO being elected. I managed without BO and the ACA. One could get by without BO being their Mom.

My aunt had private insurance pre-ACA and got kicked off her policy in the middle of the year after she got lung cancer and huge claims. She died. Had ACA been in-effect, it's possible she might have lived. Getting kicked off insurance in the middle of lung cancer treatment caused her to miss many treatments and also have severe financial hardship due solely to the insurance company kicking her off the policy AND refusing to pay the large claims which occurred while the policy was still active.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
My aunt had private insurance pre-ACA and got kicked off her policy in the middle of the year after she got lung cancer and huge claims. She died. Had ACA been in-effect, it's possible she might have lived. Getting kicked off insurance in the middle of lung cancer treatment caused her to miss many treatments and also have severe financial hardship due solely to the insurance company kicking her off the policy AND refusing to pay the large claims which occurred while the policy was still active.
Is it possible to sue that insurance company following her death? What a disgusting corporation.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:28 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Who said that 24 million people will die if the ACA is repealed? Link? Source?Link? Source?

I'm not going to do you this favor and waste my time on some exhaustive search. There's a search button on top, use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies