Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM

19,492 posts, read 12,126,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I pay more taxes in a year than you make in 10.
Now I really feel sorry for you.

It's always amusing when the wealthy bubble dwellers complain about paying their share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:56 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,915,502 times
ive had a job that supplies great healthcare
when crapboma care started ALL of my copays and deductables skyrocketed

you are welcome

Old 12-05-2018, 07:58 AM

21,832 posts, read 9,386,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

It's always amusing when the wealthy bubble dwellers complain about paying their share.
I am not a bubble dweller. I have lived through times where I didn't have a dime to my name. I find it always amusing when people who take think they should decided what my 'fair share' is.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 AM

30,032 posts, read 11,623,237 times
Quote:

Its called carrying the load. You should be praising them for keeping this country afloat despite all the government waste, fraud and abuse.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 AM

15,755 posts, read 7,564,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
You just don't like paying taxes, but get over it.
Quote:
and the chains rattle ...

Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,449,162 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yF69KVbUaQ

It's sad when you can live in what you think is the greatest country in the world yet be jealous of another countries healthcare. Our health as a nation should be one of the most important aspects our government covers. After all, they should be working for us, and we all want affordable, decent healthcare. This is a good look at the difference in this video and before you say their citizens pay way more for less, you should watch it. I think you'll be surprised.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What people like you fail to understand is that the USA subsidizes not only all these ACA recipients, but we subsidize other countries by way of our R&D and new drugs and procedures. If you take away the profit motive, do you think companies will still do all the R&D and develop new drugs? It costs a HUGE amount of $$ to bring a new drug to market in the US due to all the levels of clinical trials they have to go through. I have a friend who owns a company that does the trials and it takes years and many studies before they can even bring it to market.
So, we give welfare to the world? Why? Are we really hostage to paying large sums for research while the rest of the world benefits for the trickle down we get?

How in the hell did we get to be in that situation? Not very bright for such a great country.

With the introduction of the internet, people are now seeing how well other countries take care of their health while keeping it affordable and are wondering why we don't.
Why is anyone shocked?

Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 AM

49 posts, read 44,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
So, we give welfare to the world? Why? Are we really hostage to paying large sums for research while the rest of the world benefits for the trickle down we get?

How in the hell did we get to be in that situation? Not very bright for such a great country.

With the introduction of the internet, people are now seeing how well other countries take care of their health while keeping it affordable and are wondering why we don't.
Why is anyone shocked?
You should educate yourself on the system and how the FDA works, a wonderful bureaucratic government organization. Until you can gain at least a grasp of how medical device and pharmaceutical industries work, and how other governments benefit off of our hard work here in the US, there is absolutely no reason to debate with you.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:18 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,041,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
There's not some person out there for me to personally thank.

I started this thread to express gratitude for a system that has helped me AND millions of others.

Even though I have worked full-time for 36 years, I can't afford health insurance without a subsidy.
No one can. We who get help through the ACA admit it. Those who get theirs through their employer continue to insist they pay their own way, ignoring the gift the government gives them year in and year out by heavily subsidizing their employer-based insurance. Without that, they couldn't afford their health insurance, either. But you'll not see any of them admit it.

They are the worst kind of hypocrites. They happily take the government help for themselves, but want to make sure no one else gets the same benefit they get.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmier View Post
You should educate yourself on the system and how the FDA works, a wonderful bureaucratic government organization. Until you can gain at least a grasp of how medical device and pharmaceutical industries work, and how other governments benefit off of our hard work here in the US, there is absolutely no reason to debate with you.
I'll look into it. I really only have a basic understanding of it at the moment but it's a topic I would enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion. I could see this being the case.

Here is the American healthcare system in a nutshell for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN-M...Tp6Og_KkYfJ6oF

We pay a lot more than other countries. So while we do pay for some of the poor, profit is also responsible for our exorbitant costs. We have less regulation, and doctors incentives are often providing procedures for money and less about keeping you healthy. That runs the gamut. From the surgeon's profit to the box of kleenex in your room.

If what you say is true, then I'm sure it applies not only to the pharmaceutical industries but all the way around our system of profit-driven outcomes. Paying for the poor is something everyone does, but paying for an unregulated out of control profit-driven healthcare system is more unique to America. That's what really drives us up and beyond a lot of other countries citizens healthcare costs.

For example, having a colonoscopy in say England would give you the option of sedation. In America, you'd have a hard time finding someone who would do it without because there is profit to be made. A doctor in America is more likely to suggest tests you don't really need, biopsies, and procedures because they also turn a profit. The outcomes are the same or better for those in non-profit systems. So we don't save more lives, we just make more money.

In medicine, more is not better.
"Americans can be glad that the Affordable Care Act has brought medical care to millions of the previously uninsured and underinsured. Nevertheless, our healthcare system remains hugely expensive and wildly inefficient.

Too often, care isn’t well coordinated. Meanwhile, we don’t have enough unbiased research showing which treatments are most effective. Everyone just assumes that the newest, most expensive product or procedure must be the best. As a result, we now spend over $3.3 trillion a year, or roughly $10,000 per person on healthcare —more than any other nation on the planet."https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/its-not-just-profit-wrecking-american-healthcare

"30 percent of the money we lay out for medical products and services does nothing to improve patients’ outcomes.) Part of the problem is that some providers simply order more tests and recommend more surgeries than others, yet research shows that their patients fare no better." Some even worse if they get injured or die during the test from a complication. In some cases it's dangerous.

Unregulated and no caps have created a free for all mess.
"Since the Kaiser Family foundation published this chart, doctors’ and hospital fees have climbed, while drug prices have skyrocketed (they now account for roughly 17 percent of the pie). Add in the rising cost of medical devices, which often are sold by pharmaceutical companies, and it’s safe to say those companies are drawing 20 percent of our health care dollars."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies