Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the FCC clamp down on provocative lyrics?
Yes, it is way past time to do so. 10 16.13%
No, but reinstitute moderate, voluntary controls along the lines of the Hays Code. 2 3.23%
No, leave the lyrics and entertainment industry alone. 49 79.03%
other (please explain below). 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 03:24 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,623,070 times

Advertisements

No. I'm not for the FCC clamping down on provocative lyrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 03:28 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
No. I'm not for the FCC clamping down on provocative lyrics.
Me either. I am for people simply changing the channel if offended.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:31 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,000 times
If you believe the FCC should be able to censor artists, than America is not the country for you.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:32 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
If you believe the FCC should be able to censor artists, than America is not the country for you.
Yeah, I would tend to agree, like the poster above said, change the channel if you don't like what you see. This outrage culture we're in now is crazy.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:38 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,743,640 times
How can god be a woman if gender is a social construct and does not exist?

Old 03-09-2020, 03:45 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Nah. We’re clearly past the point where we can contain that kind of content. We’re an advanced society and should be treated as such. I don’t know why we continue to try to hide from some certain sounds which come out of our mouths or acts coming from our very biology necessary for continued survival.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:52 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,216,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHLHSlExFis

Above is a video of "God is a woman" by singer Arianna Grande. It's been a smash hit, and is played constantly. Just a few seconds into the video, you can see that she is basically nude, with what appears to be only body paint covering strategic areas.

The lyrics are basically a thinly-veiled metaphorical paean to the sex act. Not to mention a thinly-veiled Arianna.

lyric excerpt:

All of this is available unrestricted to teenagers and even small children. I am no prude, but at some point too much is enough. We're sending the wrong message to young women. It is quite a sexist, objectifying message as well. It is doubtless offensive to many religious believers.

Tipper Gore took on this issue years ago, and people laughed at her. It turns out she was right.
You know what you can do. You can stop listening to this type of music. Works for me. I mostly listen to podcasts and music that has a deeper, less hedonistic message. Don’t expect the government to do this for you, let your ears and your wallet do the talking. It’s up to people as parents to make sure their kids are raised right and to not shelter them.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:09 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,808,343 times
This is stupid. They're just words and skin. We were all born naked.
If I can get over Yoko Ono (kinda glad I wasn't born in that time)..in general then the OP can get over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
So we just allow this sexist garbage to go out unrestrained? What about the females who are not 36-24-36? How do you think all of this makes them feel? Ever hear of bulimia? Ever hear of anorexia?
What? For one thing Demi Lovato is friends with Ariana so I don't think it bothers her and she was suffering from bulimia and many other issues too. If you're talking about regular women, they not only have Demi Lovato to look up to they have Megan Trainor and Lizzo.
If women are actually bothered about it though, not talking about it/covering it up isn't going to cure their eating disorder. There's no point in tearing other of the female artists down when again you can focus on the curvier women who are body positive. I don't think Megan or Lizzo would want anyone to tear the skinny ones down either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sexual innuendo has been going on in popular music since there was popular music. What do you think the phrase "rock 'n' roll" originally meant?

Listen to some bubblegum music lyrics from the 60s. What do you think "1,2,3 Red Light" by the 1910 Fruitgum Co. was about? Give a good listen to Gary Puckett and the Union Gap's "Lady Willpower".

A huge majority of non indie music definitely has sexual innuendo. I even found an artist on Myspace once that was unsigned and had a sexual song. It's a common part of the human experience. Asexuals are pretty rare so it's going to be talked/sung about.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:24 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,216,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I am getting tired of these female artists trying to do this. First God is a woman, which is incorrect, he/she is everything and nothing. I would think God wouldn't even have a gender.

Also, another singer is called Megan thee Stallion...ok what a weird name.

Now we have a wrestler that her nickname is called "The Man". She claims to be the best wrestler at the company. I would love to see her take on John Cena.

All these women are doing is using their media influence to brow beat it into men's heads that they are better than men. Could you imagine if a guy did this? I mean men doesn't constantly beat on their chest and try to say that they are better than women.
Dude, I hate to break it you, but wrestling is fake. She can be the best wrestler in the business if they write that into the script. Wrestling is nothing more than a soap opera where instead of crying they kick each other’s a@&es.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:54 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
You're wrong, the US is a nation of ban happy control freaks. All are welcome except those who arent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies