Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hold on a second, it doesn't have to be a false allegation so no shortcuts trying to make those the only pitfall.

Look at the "he touched my tattoo" charge against Neil Degrasse Tyson for example?

Think really hard about that one. Is it something you should do? No.
Is it severe enough to go forward in national media to try to destroy somebody over?

Well the solar system gal sure thought it was.
So people cannot talk about their true experiences? Privacy is about dead these days, anything can easily get publicized due to the internet. Look at Yelp, someone can harm a business with bad enough reviews. Why should celebrities get a pass. It seems if it involves something sexually inappropriate it is supposed to be hushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Don't make monsters from us.

I just a 40+ manager in IT in the Bay Area with a huge mortgage, bills, a wife and kids.
I worked very hard to get to my position. I came to this country with 2000 dollars, I drove cabs, cleaned aircrafts, until I was able to study and to get into white collar IT job in a nice office.

I never mistreated a woman, I never harassed a woman or done anything bad to her.

And this current climate, when a single misunderstanding can ruin all my life, is causing me to be very cautious.
I don't hate lions. I actually adore them, they are amazing. But I don't want to be with them in the same room alone, because of the damage they can do.
Same with women. They are amazing. But because of the damage they can do, I have no choice but to be very cautious.
So, no mentoring, no one/one with closed doors, and the hiring is only if you have no less than 15 years of experience and college degree.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaag View Post
No more dinners with female colleagues. Don’t sit next to them on flights. Book hotel rooms on different floors. Avoid one-on-one meetings.

In fact, as a wealth adviser put it, just hiring a woman these days is “an unknown risk.” What if she took something he said the wrong way?

Across Wall Street, men are adopting controversial strategies for the #MeToo era and, in the process, making life even harder for women.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...en-at-all-cost
Thanks for my second LOL moment of the morning. Good luck with those strategies.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hold on a second, it doesn't have to be a false allegation so no shortcuts trying to make those the only pitfall.

Look at the "he touched my tattoo" charge against Neil Degrasse Tyson for example?

Think really hard about that one. Is it something you should do? No.
Is it severe enough to go forward in national media to try to destroy somebody over?

Well the solar system gal sure thought it was.
You mean he touched me inappropriately while looking at my tattoo?
Just pointing out again the accused is a big shot. We are not seeing this occurring with Joe average.

To answer your question no I don't believe this should be headlined in the national media. I dont believe accused behaviors from the past should be dredged up unless it is an actual criminal or civil case where establishing a pattern of behavior is relevant to the case.
So shouldn't the thing to do be to stop the circus and deal with accusations in house? Why is the media even involved. Why is the public involved. Generally it is a work place issue.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You mean he touched me inappropriately while looking at my tattoo?
Just pointing out again the accused is a big shot. We are not seeing this occurring with Joe average.

To answer your question no I don't believe this should be headlined in the national media. I dont believe accused behaviors from the past should be dredged up unless it is an actual criminal or civil case where establishing a pattern of behavior is relevant to the case.
So shouldn't the thing to do be to stop the circus and deal with accusations in house? Why is the media even involved. Why is the public involved. Generally it is a work place issue.
This happens when no one in-house, if there is an in-house, does anything. If the guy is powerful, beloved and above it all, publicizing is the only course available to bring attention to it. If no attention is brought to his behavior then he knows he can keep doing it. If it doesn't rise to the level of criminal, it is still harassment. Sometimes publicizing is the only option.
I am surprised it took so long to get Weinstein in the news. Or Louis CK, there were rumors but no one would come out and name him publicly. It took the publicity to make them stop.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:56 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This happens when no one in-house, if there is an in-house, does anything. If the guy is powerful, beloved and above it all, publicizing is the only course available to bring attention to it. If no attention is brought to his behavior then he knows he can keep doing it. If it doesn't rise to the level of criminal, it is still harassment. Sometimes publicizing is the only option.
I am surprised it took so long to get Weinstein in the news. Or Louis CK, there were rumors but no one would come out and name him publicly. It took the publicity to make them stop.
On Wall Street they do have in-house PR to deal with sexual harassment cases which according to women who have worked there it is pretty useless. Most claims have been settled by the company before anything is made public and those accused never skip a beat. So claiming men on Wall Street are in fear of being anywhere in the general vicinity of a woman makes no sense.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Historically the man's career and reputation have been considered far more important than that of the women being harassed or assaulted. To the extent victims have been guilted using that logic - oh but his reputation, his career, his family. Well, he should have thought of that first.

Frankly, if a man like Weinstein (if he actually did all of those things) loses everything, good. If Tyson did the lesser of the things he is accused of, which he seems to have admitted, he deserves to be embarrassed, but he appears not to be.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:18 AM

67 posts, read 34,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Now you know how angry and frustrated women have felt for decades.

The obvious solution here is to cease hiring men. I wonder why no one suggests that.
How about women go start their own businesses, I guess that's too hard for them.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slap to my face View Post
How about women go start their own businesses, I guess that's too hard for them.

You do realize that there are plenty of women owned businesses? And I wouldn't be surprised that men work in these businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies