Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support a paid Federal holiday for National Day of Mourning?
YES 55 36.67%
NO 95 63.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No. I have no objections to government offices closing for a day in remembrance of someone who once led them, but any private business can close or stay open as they choose.

There's another question to this:
How many past Presidents deserve a national day of mourning? We do have a few- Washington and Lincoln. Both were so important to the nation that they deserve the honor of honoring them on their birthdays.

How many others deserve it? How many others do not? Why should there be a special day for a president who never did very much that turned out to be real special?

I think what's happening now is just right. Former President Bush is being honored in the place where he was the most important, by the people who were part of his presidency, and it's enough for all of us to remember his term.

If his time in the White House was important to the private businesses that had something to do with his presidency, it's nice that they are taking the time to commemorate him voluntarily. But they shouldn't be required to do it. And some of our past Presidents are best left to history to commemorate.

Some simply don't deserve the honor. And who's to choose which is or not? It's best to leave it as it is.
Posted this in response to a similar query: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.09a24bf15ea2

Basically all POTUS in recent memory warranted and received a federal national day of mourning. It isn't the man so much as the office.

Regarding state funerals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_..._United_States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 03:21 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Only if they die in office. A "former" president is just another celebrity. Don't shut down the country for this.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:23 PM

702 posts, read 539,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I bet the same people who get enraged at Trump because he gives AMERICAN federal employees a day off for national mourning for an AMERICAN President.

....are also the same people who get enraged because Trump doesn't want illegal immigrants leeching on our system.

Probably not, one group cares about other people, the other group cares only for themselves.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:40 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
We already have the ubiquitous "Presidents Day" which was Washington Birthday, but now a catch all for presidents generally.

It still surprises me our first and arguably our greatest leader doesn't have his own day any longer, but we have a day for a civil rights leader. While MLK should be remember positively for his adherence to non-violence in protesting over poor conditions for black people, he is hardly in the stature of Washington.

I voted no to another paid holiday just for remembrance of deceased presidents. As the OP put it , there have been very few, and they are a big deal. However many feel the current system (if adhered to by the kooks) of mourning their loss at the time of the death is sufficient.

`

Old 12-04-2018, 04:07 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I have mixed feelings about this. As a federal employee certainly I like getting a day off and, I do think the death of a president is deserving of special recognition. Still, my office holds administrative law hearings that citizens usually wait a year or two for. To postpone all of these hearings across the country seems extreme.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
A day of mourning is not a holiday.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:33 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
We already have the ubiquitous "Presidents Day" which was Washington Birthday, but now a catch all for presidents generally.

It still surprises me our first and arguably our greatest leader doesn't have his own day any longer, but we have a day for a civil rights leader. While MLK should be remember positively for his adherence to non-violence in protesting over poor conditions for black people, he is hardly in the stature of Washington.

I voted no to another paid holiday just for remembrance of deceased presidents. As the OP put it , there have been very few, and they are a big deal. However many feel the current system (if adhered to by the kooks) of mourning their loss at the time of the death is sufficient.

`
Totally agree. They practically celebrate MLK day for a week. It's ridiculous.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:39 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
He said that his livelihood depended on getting mail on Wednesday, an absurd lie invented to justify his resentment of other people getting a day off.
No, it is not. I am an insurance sales manager. This paid holiday happens to hit during open enrollment peak time when our customers’ ID cards and welcome packets are being shipped out. Each day’s delay brings a chorus of more ppl who demand their stuff.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I voted yes, any day that the government isn't at work is a good day for America !

Old 12-04-2018, 05:35 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
How many past Presidents deserve a national day of mourning? We do have a few- Washington and Lincoln. Both were so important to the nation that they deserve the honor of honoring them on their birthdays.
Lincoln was the 2nd worst President in American history, after Wilson. He deserves nothing but scorn and ridicule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies