Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times

Advertisements

https://www.theamericanconservative....dan-yemen-uae/

Good morning, these fellows from Sudan are now our allies.

They look like pleasant folks.

Mr. Bashir was accused by the ICC of war crimes, genocide, and crimes against humanity, but all kids do stuff like that when they're young and stupid.

But now that we're working together, I know they are fighting for democracy and human rights, just like the NYTs and CNN always tell me we are.

All is good, peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
that old religion of peace thing, again.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
that old religion of peace thing, again.
Oh yeah, Bashir got two arrest warrants by the ICC, but all is good.

I mean lots of folks get arrested for DUIs, it can't be to big of a deal...

Old 12-09-2018, 05:50 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
From today's New York Times, by Nicholas Kristof (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kristof
The problem in Yemen is not so much a shortage of food as it is an economic collapse — GDP has fallen in half since the war started — that has left people unable to afford food.
Yaqoob was especially vulnerable. He is the second of eight children in a poor household with a father who has mental health problems and can’t work steadily. Moreover, the father, like many Yemenis, chews qat — a narcotic leaf that is very widely used in Yemen and offers an easy high. This consumes about $1 a day, reducing the budget available for food. The family sold some land to pay for Yaqoob’s care, so its situation is now even more precarious
From this snippet and reading the article, these problems are self-inflicted. These people are desperately poor and yet they reproduce eight children. There is no economic activity to speak of. The main specialty appears to be inter-tribal warfare.

The answer would seem to be to let them kill each other, but Iran wants control of the sea lanes of the oil trade on both sides of the peninsula. Another snippet from article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisham Sharaf Abdalla
The foreign minister on the Houthi side is Hisham Sharaf Abdalla, a congenial American-educated official.
“I love the U.S.,” Mr. Sharaf told me. “We look to the U.S. as the only force that can stop this war.”
To this the question, why can't they stop fighting themselves? See Houthis & Yemen - So much misery. Yet people unwilling to help themselves. Why?

So much misery. Yet people unwilling to help themselves. Why?

Old 12-09-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
From today's New York Times, by Nicholas Kristof (link):
From this snippet and reading the article, these problems are self-inflicted. These people are desperately poor and yet they reproduce eight children. There is no economic activity to speak of. The main specialty appears to be inter-tribal warfare.

The answer would seem to be to let them kill each other, but Iran wants control of the sea lanes of the oil trade on both sides of the peninsula. Another snippet from article:To this the question, why can't they stop fighting themselves? See Houthis & Yemen - So much misery. Yet people unwilling to help themselves. Why?

So much misery. Yet people unwilling to help themselves. Why?
This is bull **** and perhaps you should put down the NYTs.

Iran has 0 control over the Houthis, that is a lie you were taught so you’d think slaughtering Yemenis is justified.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:06 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
The Yemen President the Saudis are supposedly supporting is under house arrest in Riyadh.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:11 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I suppose a new US policy for dealing with starvation under Trump is to support an ally who has no problem slaughtering innocent children. The Saudis seem to excel at murder and Trump has no problem defending them in the process. That is, as long as they keep buying American weapons.

Many will feel joy in their hearts the day Trump is put in jail. LOCK HIM UP.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The Yemen President the Saudis are supposedly supporting is under house arrest in Riyadh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is bull **** and perhaps you should put down the NYTs.

Iran has 0 control over the Houthis, that is a lie you were taught so you’d think slaughtering Yemenis is justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I suppose a new US policy for dealing with starvation under Trump is to support an ally who has no problem slaughtering innocent children. The Saudis seem to excel at murder and Trump has no problem defending them in the process. That is, as long as they keep buying American weapons.

Many will feel joy in their hearts the day Trump is put in jail. LOCK HIM UP.
I get it. The U.S. is always at fault. And every thread is about Trump.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I get it. The U.S. is always at fault. And every thread is about Trump.
Look at my post.

Iran has 0 control over the Houthis, bringing them into the question to justify genocide is false.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Look at my post.
Iran has 0 control over the Houthis, bringing them into the question to justify genocide is false.
They didn't pull the weaponry out of the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies