Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:51 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times

Advertisements

If they’ll steal Christmas decorations they’ll steal anything. More lowlifes on the street looking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 12:00 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Every town Facebook group in America right now has questions about stolen packages. In my suburban, conservative-for-the-region town, someone shared a video from their front porch security system of someone DRIVING UP IN A CAR and stealing packages. Certainly not homeless people.

Urban areas have a higher opportunity for stealing because all someone needs to do is walk down the street at this time of year and they can identify a half dozen packages. They're easy hits. In my old neighborhood, there were 20 two or three family houses on one short street. There were always people in and out of the apartments visiting friends, young professionals with a revolving door of roommates, and others walking around so it wasn't hard to miss someone who didn't belong who might have been pilfering packages.

That said, the same happened in my exurban subdivision in Georgia which was much less dense, but still many houses in a contained area where lots of people were walking around, most people were at work during the day, and lots of house cleaners/nannies/contractors/etc coming in and out of houses.

Look for a new reason to hate San Francisco, this isn't it.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:01 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
This is happening in my upper middle class suburban town. Even though the acts are caught on the nest camera you cannot make out who it is (just the jacket and hat). Stealing amazon packages when they know you are at work. I have been paranoid as all my Hanukkah/xmas shopping has been done via amazon. So far, nothing has been taken yet from my house!

Old 12-05-2018, 12:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your source states, ""Amazon package stolen" is searched on Google more often in San Francisco than in any other city in the nation."

But its North Dakota that has the actual highest Christmas package theft rate, residents in North Dakota are 26x more likely to have a Christmas package stolen than residents of other states. And North Dakota is a conservative state with 64% of its population voting for Donald Trump in the 2016 election.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/21/pack...ng-season.html
https://www.politico.com/2016-electi.../north-dakota/

California has a package theft rate of 0.62 (one of the lowest package theft rates in the nation.)

Conservative Alabama has a 2.34 package theft rate.
Conservative Mississippi has a 2.59 package theft rate.
And conservative North Dakota has a 26.20 package theft rate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/21/pack...ng-season.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The foundation of this claim is based on the number of Google searches " Amazon packages stolen".

Is that the way crime is measured nowdays ?

Sounds like click bait crap to me.
It was a poorly worded headline, and the writer for Fox News got it from the SF Gate:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/heath...p?t=513863902e

Quote:
Now that many San Franciscans do nearly all their shopping online, packages from Amazon and other internet retailers pile up outside front doors like giant building blocks, especially during the holidays.

The packages are easy pickings. Residents have even reported seeing thieves following delivery trucks, stealing each package within minutes after it’s dropped off. Nextdoor and other neighborhood online groups are filled with gripes about packages gone missing and photos taken from security camera footage of the culprits.

The problem has gotten so bad, the phrase “Amazon package stolen” is Googled more often here than in any other city in the country, according to the packaging company Shorr.
It doesn't say that San Francisco has the highest rate of people stealing packages, but when they added in that quip "We’re No. 1! Sigh." right under the paragraph talking about how it has gotten so bad that San Francisco is the highest in looking it up on Google, it can be misinterpreted. Which is probably what they wanted to happen. Guess SFGate is the one who is interested in "click baiting" since Fox News writer essentially copied the article. It's just really bad writing.

As for the stealing itself, it's not a "hate crime", it's not attacking anyone's religion, it's nothing more than useless piles of garbage thugs who think that they are entitled to other people's stuff because they want it.

As for the delivery companies, even if you're home all day, they don't always knock. I highly recommend that people open up a box at the UPS store, or something similar. Packages will get delivered there. The only one who won't deliver a package there is the USPS. They will deliver the mail, but not packages. Fed Ex and UPS will deliver your packages to the UPS store, and you simply go in, find the slip of paper in your box, go to the counter, get your package that was inside the store, protected from thieves. Costs under $100 a year to have a box there. Considering the value of items stolen, that's a small price to pay not only to save you from losing the value of the item, but the peace of mind in not having to worry about some chowder head violating you.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Is it the illegals? Homeless? Liberal attack on Christmas? Whatever is causing it, Christmas is being literally stolen as Christian residents of San Francisco continue to deal with what I would consider a hate crime. Their Christmas packages are being stolen at an alarmingly high rate.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/porch-pir...ays-report.amp
The city of San Francisco should mail pooper scoopers in packages.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:24 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
This is happening in my upper middle class suburban town. Even though the acts are caught on the nest camera you cannot make out who it is (just the jacket and hat). Stealing amazon packages when they know you are at work. I have been paranoid as all my Hanukkah/xmas shopping has been done via amazon. So far, nothing has been taken yet from my house!
The part I underlined was the two biases I pointed out. Richer folks order more stuff and thieves know that richer folks order nicer, more valuable items.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The fact that 'porch theft San Fransisco' more than other cities has little to do with any real facts on the actual number of porch thefts.

I live in an upper middle class suburb. Porch theft is rampant. That's why everyone has those camera door bells now -- that can afford it.

In many major cities --- UPS will only deliver when you schedule the delivery (my son lives in Denver and is always home to get his packages or they will be stolen.).
I have a "ring" brand doorbell. Cost $80, annual fee is something like $30.

Thing works like a charm, links to your phone and has a super high-quality camera and motion sensor.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone having problems with theft, weird neighbors, stalker etc.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:59 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Is it the illegals? Homeless? Liberal attack on Christmas? Whatever is causing it, Christmas is being literally stolen as Christian residents of San Francisco continue to deal with what I would consider a hate crime. Their Christmas packages are being stolen at an alarmingly high rate.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/porch-pir...ays-report.amp

It's criminals, just like the ones in Florida. It's not endemic to one part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies