Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:11 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
This is actually a great idea, too. It would discourage people from drinking the beer in their car on the way home. DUI is still a HUGE problem. I'm actually thinking of writing my state legislator to suggest this. Hadn't thought of it before. Thanks, Roadking.
What if I'm not driving and want a road pop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 03:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If you don't like the liquor laws, stop voting for the people who wrote and passed them.

Easy Peasy.

Really? And you happen to know that the OP doesn't vote for his state's control freak candidates because.... Exactly.

Not so "easy peasy" when you're outnumbered.

Unbelievable.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:18 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've been amazed in my travels in the US how weird liquor laws are.

Until about a year ago, Walmart and some other stores in Arkansas were only allowed to sell Arkansas made wine. Um, yuck.

There's a state in New England (sorry, forget which one) where you can either buy beer OR hard liquor at the liquor stores. So you buy beer, go out to your car, put it in, come back in the store to buy the rest of what you want. And that's what the clerks tell you to do.

What in the world?

I can't believe that's NOT New York lol, where Wegmans has been lobbying (unsuccessfully) for decades for the massa to allow grocery stores to sell wine.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:39 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Washington state used to have state run liquor stores. No one else was allowed to sell hard liquor. It worked great! In 2011 a Costco founder made it his mission to get the law changed to allow groceries and others to sell the hard booze. He spent over $20 million on an initiative campaign, and won.

Now alcoholics can walk in to a Safeway at 1:55 AM and buy all the whiskey they wish. The state run stores used to close around 8PM at latest, some even earlier. Sure enough, about 6 months after sales were privatized, a local football hero, Marshawn Lynch, was popped for DUI. Little doubt that people have died because of this.
Maybe North Korea would be more to your liking.

Quote:
And now you can walk into certain stores, Walmart being one, plunk down cash, and walk out with a gun AND a bottle of booze.
Fantastic! That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's both hopeful and maddening how most folks, if not nearly all, are closet AnCaps in their personal lives but make exceptions when we get to larger societal issues that turn up the heat in terms of consequences.

Liquor laws are one thing but in the end they run back to master. Sad.
I've always said everyone's inner AnCap comes out every April 15 and whenever liquor laws are discussed.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Most people don't realize that prohibition was a progressive initiative of the early 20th century. People like Susan B. Anthony were key advocates. It is a longstanding myth that 'prohibition didn't work.' It actually was effective.
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/16/o...a-success.html

The meme that "prohibition didn't work" just might be the biggest 'fake news' in US history.
Protecting people from themselves isn't a "success." It is a violation of their natural rights of self-determination and self-ownership.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Actually "big" government would be the feds. These are state laws so that would the "medium" government. One of the few times the feds have actually kept their nose out of the state's business.
Except when Reagan blackmailed the states into raising the drinking age to 21 by withholding highway funds...

Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Except when Reagan blackmailed the states into raising the drinking age to 21 by withholding highway funds...
Louisiana was the last holdout. I got out of high school early that Friday to go drink legally for one night. At the time I didn't realize it was blackmail, I thought it was fun and at midnight, not so much.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:01 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Most people don't realize that prohibition was a progressive initiative of the early 20th century. People like Susan B. Anthony were key advocates. It is a longstanding myth that 'prohibition didn't work.' It actually was effective.
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/16/o...a-success.html

The meme that "prohibition didn't work" just might be the biggest 'fake news' in US history.
Only 10% of us are potential alcoholic. Throw in about 10% potential hard drinker and you're left with 80% of us having absolutely zero problem with alcohol.

The mob loved prohibition, fact. Bathtub gin loved Prohibition too, not to mention the folks who were involved with the moonshine industry.

Alcoholism was rampant in 1934, amongst alcoholics of course, and a book named Alcoholics Anonymous was published in 39 or so. The program that formed it started back in 1934ish.

If you're trying to tell us that alkies drank less booze during prohibition, I'd say you're high. If so, show me some links to that claim, thanks.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-05-2018 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 05:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
This is actually a great idea, too. It would discourage people from drinking the beer in their car on the way home. DUI is still a HUGE problem. I'm actually thinking of writing my state legislator to suggest this. Hadn't thought of it before. Thanks, Roadking.

Oklahoma was this way until October 1st of this year. Seriously though if somebody has such a problem that they can't wait until they get home, they either won't be drinking beer or won't care if they have to drink it warm. All these laws do is inconvenience normal drinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies