Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the new tax laws position on Charity (non-deductible for most)
Yes - easy come, easy go. I'm not losing any money, so who cares? 6 60.00%
No - these orgs need to be able to help the community and donations should be deductible. 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:07 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,395,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't think some of you understand.

I'm not saying that a taxpayer does worse...they usually don't. I'm saying that then the end of the year comes around, many of us donate to charity and we are more generous when we think "hey, we can write this off". I know that is how people think and most charities appeal to that.

It would amaze me if charitable giving doesn't drop quite a bit in 2019 - I say 2019, because many people don't know about this yet.

To be honest I'm giving less this year. It also incentivizes me to give more money to politics and partisan efforts as opposed to community efforts because both are treated the same.

I've itemized my entire life. But no more. This will be the first year I don't.
WTF? You can still itemize and it is recommended you do if your write offs exceed 12k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times
Quote:

I'm not saying that a taxpayer does worse...they usually don't. I'm saying that then the end of the year comes around, many of us donate to charity and we are more generous when we think "hey, we can write this off". I know that is how people think and most charities appeal to that.

It would amaze me if charitable giving doesn't drop quite a bit in 2019 - I say 2019, because many people don't know about this yet.

To be honest I'm giving less this year. It also incentivizes me to give more money to politics and partisan efforts as opposed to community efforts because both are treated the same.

I don't think that way. Waldo says they do not think that way. I don't think I would brag about giving more to politicians than the needy because that is what benefits you the most. I would keep that to myself.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 PM

19,660 posts, read 9,976,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't believe anyone should pay taxes.

I don't donate to charity though but only because I have a disabled sister to take care of.

Considering I'm robbed at gunpoint for "charity" I need to keep all the money I can afterwards to run my own private charity (my sister).
Suppose no one pays taxes. No more roads repaired. No police. No libraries. No military. No schools. No government, which means all prices will rise. Most hospitals will close. Many, many more negatives.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM

21,669 posts, read 9,250,912 times
Quote:

Agree with this 100%. I keep hearing charities still touting the tax benefits but most people have no idea it's going to go away, for the most part. I will not be itemizing either.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:51 PM

21,669 posts, read 9,250,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
The deductions are still deductible except you may get an even higher standard deduction.

I think few people give to small charities for the tax writeoff. A married middle class taxpayer making 70,000 probably has a marginal rate of around 10-12 %. Do you think when someone gives 50 bucks to a food kitchen they are thinking this will save me 5 bucks?

Large donations to large charities tax planning is a factor but the high income people are not taking the standard deduction.
Nope. It's middle to high earners who will slow down their giving. My effective rate is 40%. You better believe I am going to slow down my contributions, especially since my taxes will be going up around 8%, depending on my income. That doesn't include the pending state and property tax increases that we Illinoisans are so fortunate to have coming now that the Democrats have a supermajority again. Guarantee you will see a slowdown in charitable giving in and around April.

I figure in giving 40% of every dollar I make to the government, I will let them handle the poor.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:52 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,365,703 times
Quote:

what you can and cant write-off should not be the determining factor to your contributions to charity

as to itemizing or not, I was taught many decades ago, work up your taxes both ways..the std. ded. and itemizing

I usually itemize, because with itemizing my deductions are about 19k, where as the std. ded. was 12k...now with the std. ded. being 24k, if the math works out that my itemizing is still only 19k, it would be foolish to itemize, just take the std. ded.

giving money to politics is never a smart thing to do, no matter which side of center you fall

Old 12-06-2018, 01:55 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,580,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You tell us. How many? A third of taxpayers have been taking the standard deduction all along. Why would they save receipts? Are there any studies that show that group doesn't donate to charity?
There are studies that show charity giving will drop, yes.

How much is an open question. AND, the studies suggest (and it makes sense) that smaller charities will be hurt the most. This is due to a couple things...

1. Large charities often get big grants - some even have large bank accounts and investments and work off the interest....

2. Large charities and their donors rely on corporate donations - which are still written off.

3. Larger donations are probably made (churches aside) by folks with larger incomes, which will still itemize.

The new law means that even many people who make 100 or even 150K may not itemize....after all, they can't deduct the taxes from their 2nd home any longer and other stuff that relates to the new law.

I mean - it just takes some common sense...which may not be common as I am getting replies like "We came from aliens (sic)" - "I don't believe in taxes" and "I think people will give just as much in a terrible market year and if they can't deduct".....none of which really seem accurate.

In this case I trust my gut. Just like I trust it....when I think I am not going to buy a new iphone (I was going to).....and the news says millions are not going to buy a new iphone. The reason is simple - my brokerage statements and chaos.

It's not a reach to say non-deductions mean less for small charities. The proof will be in the pudding so let's meet back here after 2019 and see what happens. I would be happy to be wrong...but I am usually not (my wife of 45 years gives me a 95% rating....right most of the time...and she has high standards!).

Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,583,631 times
Quote:
The new tax laws make it so most households will not itemize - therefore it does away with the ability to deduct your charitable contributions. This will surely means large declines in the amount of money that most people (individually) give.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90177901...ities-the-most

" New Tax law will likely hurt small charities the most
Estimates say the law will lower the amount of charitable giving in the country–especially to organizations that get small donations from local donors."

So, pro or con....???
Charity starts at home but charity is going everywhere else but...

Old 12-06-2018, 03:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,066,520 times
Sound like surveys and polls, hard to study something that hasn't happened. But I'm not saying that there will be no effect but my gut says it will not be as much effect as charities are warning about. Did your gut account for the possibility that less total tax due for many people might actually lead to more donations?

Donating to charity never results in more money in your pocket. Are people really giving away a dollar to save a quarter on taxes owed? Or are they giving away a dollar because they have a spare dollar and want to help? If the new standard deduction is more than the itemized deductions in the past, then they will owe less taxes than before andthis have more money in their pocket to give.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 PM

36,858 posts, read 17,231,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Suppose no one pays taxes. No more roads repaired. No police. No libraries. No military. No schools. No government, which means all prices will rise. Most hospitals will close. Many, many more negatives.
Those things can be funded by the private sector. Supply and demand will sort it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies