Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times

Advertisements

Sometimes he can sing. At Bush's funeral - not so much cause he ain't Christian. Regardless, this video reminds me of a small child twitching around. It's from over a year ago. I'm thinking possibly dementia???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKq2o5fqxw

Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
All the previous Presidents are smart men, even Bush has some limited intellect. They all know an imposter and a dimwit when they hear one speak and they wanted nothing to do with Trump. What thinking person would?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So you really don't believe that they could have been honestly moved by any of the eulogists or music? That's pretty sad. I didn't vote for Bush Senior, but I still found myself having a genuine emotional reaction to some of the stories shared by his friends and family.
Same here I wasn’t a fan of him or his son but G.W lost his dad. Trump should show respect as well.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:43 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
So looks like this thread is for Trump bashing rather than discussing the funeral. What else is new? Monomania, anyone?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'll admit that I did find that odd. I'm an Episcopalian like the Bush family, and as such I approach worship as a participatory experience. (To be clear, Episcopalians are not the only ones who feel this way, so there's no need for anyone to rush in with "We do that, too!" I know.) The responsive readings, the hymns, the public confession, the kneeling, the Creed, the Eucharist, and sometimes genuflection are all part and parcel of my Sunday morning experience. It's weird to see worshippers simply observe rather than join in. I was praying, singing, reading, and responding with the service booklet in my lap (I printed it ahead of time) through the screen in front of me. It's that deeply engrained. Don't get me wrong, though. The President was welcome to participate or not participate as he saw fit. All I'm saying is that it was very strange for me to see someone not make at least an attempt to be an active participant in the service. I felt the same way while watching the wedding of the now Duke and Duchess of Sussex. All I could think was, "Nobody has any idea what's going on, do they? I hope at least they enjoy the show."
While I did notice that he didn't participate, that's excusable. Not everyone is familiar (read: comfortable) with the Episcopal (or Catholic, for that matter) order of worship. The thing that really stuck out to me was seeing him sitting with his arms firmly crossed. I suspect most people assume this posture at some point or another, and when I do it, it's usually because I don't want to be somewhere, am mad clean through about it, and do not care who knows. It's not behavior I would want to display at a funeral.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I guess everyone in that cathedral but Trump and his trophy wife are unstable, then. All the former presidents were laughing and crying at the same time. I saw them. Guess who was the odd man out?
I'm gonna guess the dimwit on the end?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Personally I thought it was George W. Bush made a very good speech, which was full of emotion and indeed humour, and his speech was from the heart. Whilst Bush's friend Alan Simpson also made a good speech.
I also enjoyed listening to Brian Mulroney's perspective and tribute. All in all, the service was very moving.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Who the hell cares. The ceremony wasn't about trump, or who sat where. It was about George H W Bush.

Get over it already.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
While I did notice that he didn't participate, that's excusable. Not everyone is familiar (read: comfortable) with the Episcopal (or Catholic, for that matter) order of worship. The thing that really stuck out to me was seeing him sitting with his arms firmly crossed. I suspect most people assume this posture at some point or another, and when I do it, it's usually because I don't want to be somewhere, am mad clean through about it, and do not care who knows. It's not behavior I would want to display at a funeral.
Please don't read my comment as criticism. It's simply an observation. The readings and activities that go hand-in-hand with worship are no longer familiar to a large number of Americans because so many simply don't attend church or do so very infrequently. That's not about faith. It's about a cultural shift that has removed regular church attendance from the center of what it means to be community.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-06-2018 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I also enjoyed listening to Brian Mulroney's perspective and tribute. All in all, the service was very moving.
It was. I thought Alan Simpson's tribute was particularly effective at helping to flesh out those who serve in government and who are often viewed as caricatures by the rest of us. He was damn funny, too, which helped to lighten the mood for a few moments before George W. Bush delivered his eulogy. I thought that was kind given how heavy Bush Jr's. heart must have been before he approached the lectern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.