Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 02:01 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There are cheaper options in every state for childcare. It all depends on what you're comfortable with for your children, especially as it comes to intellectual rigor at a childcare center.
What cheaper options? Are you claiming that every state has some form of subsidized child care because if you are I'd sure like to pass that information on to my son-in-law and his wife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We need to go back to basics. Fully committed legally married parents, one parent stays home full time, the other works, children are always raised and supervised by present and engaged parents. Get rid of the big house and the I-phones and the material bull$hit. Make it work. It's the best way to raise kids and it yields the best future citizens. Does anyone wonder why we have mentally deranged kids who don't know what's between their legs and what gender they are? Could it be that raising kids properly actually requires love, guidance, and being physically present and involved for all of their 18-20 pre-adult years? I wonder. (actually, that was rhetorical, I don't wonder at all.)
You mean back to the 50's and 60's when middle class people earned a living wage, unions were not thought of as a communist plot and most workers received a pension? I talk to parents whose kids attend school with my grandson, you'd be surprised how many of them don't have iphones, know what gender they are, love their kids dearly and still both parents have to work, in most cases just to pay rent.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:43 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What cheaper options? Are you claiming that every state has some form of subsidized child care because if you are I'd sure like to pass that information on to my son-in-law and his wife
Your son-in-law and wife should not be using any form of day care. One parent should be working, the other parent should be home. If they can’t afford to do that, they made a mistake. Day care is a bad solution for a bad choice.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...e-on-children/

Old 12-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your son-in-law and wife should not be using any form of day care. One parent should be working, the other parent should be home. If they can’t afford to do that, they made a mistake. Day care is a bad solution for a bad choice.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...e-on-children/
Miss me with that, I don't need you scolding me about what my family members do. You link an article by a 'freelance writer' who uses vague out of context comments to support her dubious claim uh uh, I'm not buying it. But just for kicks I will play along, let's pretend that this snarky remark of yours: "they made a mistake" is correct. So, what do you think they should do Marc, put the kid up for adoption?

Last edited by 2sleepy; 12-09-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 04:26 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Where do you think lower income families where both parents work and whose kids are in child care centers (and these situations exist all over the country) keep their children?? Trust me, they aren't paying $2,000 a month on childcare. I liken this situation to people in NYC (or even Honolulu, which is where I live now) who complain about the cost of groceries. I always look for the groceries/delis where the working class shop in every city that I live; in many cases, its been local Asian supermarkets, with excellent rates and fresh produce. And there are deals to be had in every city/state, even if you sometimes have to drive a little bit to make things work.

When I lived in NYC, if you went by the average cost for child care, we're looking at between $1,300 and $2,500 a month: https://www.nyu.edu/employees/life-w...e-centers.html. Yet, I know numerous child care facilities (including licensed child care facilities, though whether a child care facility is licensed wouldn't automatically steer me away from it) where care can be achieved for less than $600 a month. A relative runs one such center, where she charges $150 a week for child care (to include academic enrichment . . . and this relative has a pretty good track record), and has been doing so for well over a decade. Another option (licensed, mind you) was on my parent's block, where a local Hispanic woman charged $50 a week for basic child care--albeit with little to no academic enrichment--(this was up until she moved 2 years ago), something she had done for well over a decade, too. These kinds of deals are all around, if you know where to live. Admittedly, if you aren't connected with the right social circles, you likely won't come across these deals; a lot is word of mouth.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
In NYC, for instance, if you went by the average cost for child care, we're looking at between $1,300 and $2,500 a month: https://www.nyu.edu/employees/life-w...e-centers.html. Yet, I know numerous child care facilities (including licensed child care facilities, though whether a child care facility is licensed wouldn't automatically steer me away from it) where care can be achieved for less than $600 a month. A relative runs one such center, where she charges $150 a week for child care (to include academic enrichment . . . and this relative has a pretty good track record), and has been doing so for well over a decade. Another option (licensed, mind you) was on my parent's block, where a local Hispanic woman charged $50 a week for basic child care--albeit with little to no academic enrichment--(this was up until she moved 2 years ago), something she had done for well over a decade, too. These kinds of deals are all around, if you know where to live. Admittedly, if you aren't connected with the right social circles, you likely won't come across these deals; a lot is word of mouth.

Where do you think lower income families where both parents work and whose kids are in child care centers (and these situations exist all over the country) keep their children?? Trust me, they aren't paying $2,000 a month on childcare. I liken this situation to people in NYC (or even Honolulu, which is where I live now) who complain about the cost of groceries. I always look for the groceries/delis where the working class shop in every city that I live; in many cases, its been local Asian supermarkets, with excellent rates and fresh produce. And there are deals to be had in every city/state, even if you sometimes have to drive a little bit to make things work.
Of course you can find someone unlicensed to take care of your child for less, I'm sure if you ran an ad in Craigslist you could find someone who would watch the kid for $100 a month but trust me, you usually get what you pay for and your child's well being is not something most people want to take chance on in order to save money. Shopping at Asian grocery stores (something that I do by the way) is not quite the same as turning your baby over to a stranger whose only qualification is that they don't charge much.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Of course you can find someone unlicensed to take care of your child for less, I'm sure if you ran an ad in Craigslist you could find someone who would watch the kid for $100 a month but trust me, you usually get what you pay for and your child's well being is not something most people want to take chance on in order to save money. Shopping at Asian grocery stores (something that I do by the way) is not quite the same as turning your baby over to a stranger whose only qualification is that they don't charge much.
Child care licensing is a relatively recent phenomenon (no, I'm not talking about the last 5 or 10 years recent). My communities have relied on unlicensed child care for decades and folks are fine. Being licensed doesn't inherently make you a better child care provider. Child care licensing has--much like most regulations--increased costs of doing business, which is passed on to the customer. If a child care provider is vouched for by family/friends and happens to be unlicensed, I'll still seriously consider sending my child there. Being unlicensed, alone, won't make cross an establishment off my list.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 12-09-2018 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Child care licensing is a relatively recent phenomenon (no, I'm not talking about the last 5 or 10 years recent). My communities have relied on unlicensed child care for decades and folks are fine. Being licensed doesn't inherently make you a better child care provider. Child care licensing has--much like most regulations--increased costs of doing business, which is passed on to the customer. If a child care provider is vouched for by family/friends and happens to be unlicensed, I'll still seriously consider sending my child there. Being unlicensed, alone, won't make cross an establishment off my life.
People are move more often than they did even 20 years ago. And many of them now live in large apartment complexes where all or almost all of the residents are just like them, there aren't a bunch of little old ladies or stay at home moms who will watch kids on the cheap. I agree with you that for people lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where there are people you can trust to watch your kids, it's always a better option than to leave them with a stranger, even a licensed one .

When my kids were young I was a single mom and I had enough neighborhood friends that someone would always watch my kids when I worked, many times for free. But there aren't many neighborhoods like that anymore, even where I live now I don't know the names of half of my neighbors after living here for 4 years. So, your choices are - hire someone licensed who you at least know isn't a child molester and doesn't have tuberculosis, or take your chances with an unvetted stranger.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Well, bully for you. Are we talking the dark ages?
No need for the snark.

Besides, believe it or not, there are people these days who have similar arrangements when it comes to raising their kids.

I stayed at home with our daughter until she was 3 1/2. Then I took a part-time job where I worked nights and weekends. Plus, I was fortunate because, if for some reason, I had to take her to work with me, the manager didn't mind. In fact, the manager sometimes brought her 2 kids to work with her. If we all got our jobs done while our kids were there, then no one minded their presence.

You need to get with the times. There are couples who have all sorts of arrangements when it comes to caring for their kids while holding down jobs.

BTW, as to the poster whom you referred to being "holier than thou" --- All he did was mention what arrangements he and his wife made regarding raising their kids. There is nothing "holier than thou" about that.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
People are move more often than they did even 20 years ago. And many of them now live in large apartment complexes where all or almost all of the residents are just like them, there aren't a bunch of little old ladies or stay at home moms who will watch kids on the cheap. I agree with you that for people lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where there are people you can trust to watch your kids, it's always a better option than to leave them with a stranger, even a licensed one .

When my kids were young I was a single mom and I had enough neighborhood friends that someone would always watch my kids when I worked, many times for free. But there aren't many neighborhoods like that anymore, even where I live now I don't know the names of half of my neighbors after living here for 4 years. So, your choices are - hire someone licensed who you at least know isn't a child molester and doesn't have tuberculosis, or take your chances with an unvetted stranger.
Appreciate your position. And that's a problem I'm seeing with more folks, but, if you take the time to get to know your neighbors--and participate in certain activities (whether church, civic, neighborhood, etc. organizations), a lot of what is out there will become more apparent. I've lived in my building for less than 3 years, and know most of my neighbors. I also participate in condo board meetings, etc.

Note, it wouldn't shock me if these things (i.e. cheaper child care options) didn't exist really in higher end neighborhoods, but, again, that's why I brought up the point about looking out for where lower income people shop, etc. If you search around and are properly connected/in-the-know, there are options around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies