Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Bush Adulation Gone too Far?
No 20 74.07%
Yes 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I'm tired of it. I am especially tired of MSM shelving their hate for the Bush family and doing a complete U-Turn on their memories of the man.

Because of his death, they went from lambasting and hate to love and admiration in a heartbeat. It's shallow and a fraud.
So you'd rather them all talk about his policies and campaigning tactics? I can't believe right wingers complain when the MSM doesn't march in lockstep with the GOP presidents when they are alive and then turn around and complain when they don't diss them in death. Besides, it is possible to like a man but not his politics. 41 liked Clinton and 43 is friends with the Obamas. Or all they all just faking it?

Really, I think some people are missing the point of bereaving the deceased. I have uncles who lean far right that I have loved dearly. Upon their deaths, I never mentioned their politics. I just thought about how much I was going to miss them

Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Bush was an okay President that had his ups and downs, he certainly wasn't immune to attacks from the Left but what really gets me is how the Dems are now seemingly in love with him.

If honoring his death makes people feel better about themselves than that is fine.

He did lead an amazing life and he is the last of the Greatest Generation Presidents.

I wonder if when it is Trumps time if he will be so honored?
The story is not yet finished. We'll all have to wait to see how it turns out. I can guarantee you, though, that every former president in that front row gave at least a passing thought to what his own funeral will look like.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Before Bush Sr, Ford was the last POTUS to pass away in 2006.

Smartphones and social medias were still in its infancy state in 2006. Well, of course you have more media coverage nowadays when everybody has a smartphone connected to wifi or internet compare to 2006 or earlier.

Just food for thought.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
yeah, i'm sure Bush Sr planned all this before he took his last breath

or did he?
Pretty much yes, he did. I do not know the extent of the planning, but each president files what they want for their funeral services. I have no idea the detail that goes into this, but I am sure it is extensive as Bush's plan was 211 pages from what I read.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,434,864 times
Yes. Thank goodness for the off option on the Tele.

Its become a freaking PBS special.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,115,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
41 liked Clinton and 43 is friends with the Obamas. Or all they all just faking it?
Psychopathic war criminals tend to be fond of one another.

Quote:
Really, I think some people are missing the point of bereaving the deceased. I have uncles who lean far right that I have loved dearly. Upon their deaths, I never mentioned their politics. I just thought about how much I was going to miss them
Were your uncles responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The story is not yet finished. We'll all have to wait to see how it turns out. I can guarantee you, though, that every former president in that front row gave at least a passing thought to what his own funeral will look like.
Betcha only reason Trump showed up.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Betcha only reason Trump showed up.
Trump shows up to Bush Sr's funeral: he did it because he wants his funeral to be like that
Trump does not show up to Bush Sr's funeral: OMG! what a despicable man!

Can't never win with Trump critics, eh?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Trump shows up to Bush Sr's funeral: he did it because he wants his funeral to be like that
Trump does not show up to Bush Sr's funeral: OMG! what a despicable man!

Can't never win with Trump critics, eh?
No. The mans obscene.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:46 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
His body and his family have been transported by Air Force 1 at taxpayers' expense and they stayed free at Blair House; he's lain in state in the capitol rotunda and he has had 2 funeral ceremonies complete with cannon salutes. The TV adulation has been constant. A national Day of Mourning was declared with government workers getting a paid holiday. To top things off, his body was moved by special train from Houston to College Station where he will have a private burial service.

This kind of farewell is usually reserved for a king or someone who thought of himself as a king.
You are incorrect.

American Presidents receive state funerals subject to their wishes.

A good man and a pretty good President died and we all wished to say farewell in style. If they wish, Presidents Carter, Obama, and the others will get the same treatment.

Bush's funeral was hardly unusual in historical context. What is different is the media and technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.