Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:22 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Catholic priests avoid women . . . to maintain . . . THEIR ESTABLISHMENT.

What do I know about "their"? Hear a there, there a there, everywhere a they're there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLaQTfYMZyk

Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Any and all religions would be fine if the leaders, and the people belonging to those religions, would stop trying to persuade others to join their religion, and believe as they do.
The Jehovah's are notorious for this.
Religion should be private, and NEVER enter the public domain.

Bob.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Well, that would depend on the specific laws that were established with regard to the official religion. Plus, a lot of the problems you listed have more to do with cultural issues (acceptance of misdoings, etc) than anything related to laws. If it's the local custom to look the other way when something fishy happens in the official religion, then it makes little difference what the laws are: People at that religion will start doing those things just because they're pretty sure they can get away with it, even if it's technically illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You obviously don't pay attention to the news or read any history...

No-- in countries where the Catholic Church WAS the official religion, crimes against people were allowed to happen w/o any investigation or prosecution when the criminal was a church official or important member
Check Ireland for the history of how the Catholic Church and its institutions were responsible for decades--hundreds even--of years of criminal behavior that was ignored or at times even supported by the government

The Catholic Church in some towns and areas was basically granted immunity from prosecution for the decades of abuse priests got away with

But in any area where a church holds sway and influences politics--like the Mormons in Utah--or the Baptists in TX--you can find scenarios where religion power was used to shield criminal behavior...
Consider Baylor University and the Southern Baptist Convention power within Texas...

It is still going on...
Consider the case of the ultra right-wing religious guy who was attempting and succeeding to prevent girls and women in refugee camps from obtaining abortions...
Supported by the US Govt -- until there were enough legal cases against his actions to make it painful
he was finally removed from his job overseeing refugees and moved to another government job w/o that type of power...

Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Another thread that makes me thank god I'm a heathen. Can I get a witness?
how about and so be it?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:04 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Nobody asked for an official religion, nor pay religious clergies, or help fund any religious institutions.
I and many of us want a Constitution and government similar to those in other Western countries where this stupid, silly, childish and arrogant anti-Christian thing wouldn’t happen and even be allowed!
What could be more stupid or silly than believing the myths in the book of Genesis literally happened? That man was made from clay, not evolved? That woman was made from Adam's rib, despite all of the other species having male and female genders? That there was a talking snake in the Garden of Eden?

The statue in Illinois being called Knowledge is the Greatest Gift actually is fairly clever. You'll recall that Eve was supposedly forbidden to eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. So God wanted to keep Adam and Eve ignorant. With this statue the group seems to be saying that we should welcome and celebrate knowledge, even if it conflicts with our ancient religious beliefs. Seems to me that sentiment deserves a place in the public square at least as much as the more traditional artifacts.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:04 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
This is one of the big reason that I hate the Establishment Clause. It makes my blood boil!
Only in America does this basically happen...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-season.html
How *do* you get through life without having a stroke?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you understand why we have separation of church and state? There's a very good reason, based in history.

As British colonies, the Anglican church was the official religion. All others who belonged to other churches were classified as nonconformists. Nonconformists didn't have full rights as citizens.

Are you saying that you want an official religion to be named & if it isn't yours you'd be good with lesser rights?
We are in the 21st century... We are also talking about Christianity, not Islam or state atheism that are oppressive regimes!

So today the UK has Church of England as official state church - are non-anglicans oppressed?! Not at all!

We can have a non-denomination Christianity. No need to have a specific sect.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
We are in the 21st century... We are also talking about Christianity, not Islam or state atheism that are oppressive regimes!

So today the UK has Church of England as official state church - are non-anglicans oppressed?! Not at all!

I ask again ... What would be the point of that? What, exactly, would it gain?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
This is one of the big reason that I hate the Establishment Clause. It makes my blood boil!
Only in America does this basically happen...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-season.html
Brother, are you ever stuck on this record.

Oh well. Keep on banging your head on this wall, since it pleases you.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:

Hmmm. The modern version of Satanism was instigated by a Brit, Alastair Crowley. Apparently, the UK was just fine with him, since they recruited him to spy for them during WWI. So if you approve of governments that frown on Satanism, I think you can cross the UK off of your list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies