Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 02:42 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, the fact you disagree with certain parts of the social contract does not mean you should not accept every benefit of that contract because you do have to accept the responsibilities assigned to you under that contract. Someone who believes taxation is theft is taxed anyways.
There's no such thing as a "social contract." Not a single person in this country signed it, or has ever seen it in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
They are taxed because they participate in the society, because of the benefits that society provides. If they stopped participating in that society, they wouldn't have taxes. And you dont get to pick and choose things your way at the expense of everyone else. This is a insanely unrealistic argument.
The State provides no benefits that can't be provided by the free market.

Last year I paid $37K in federal income taxes. Many thousands of that went to fund the military blowing up babies in the Middle East. How the hell is my not wanting to contribute to mass murder negatively affecting anyone else?

Quote:
I think thats part of what annoys me the most about it, its completely unrealistic. Its a child whining about how unfair life is.
So if a woman hates her rapist, she's just a child whining about how unfair life is. Gotcha.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:55 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like most people that oppose more social programs and universal healthcare in the US use a lot of racial undertones to convey their points? Of course not all but it seems the average die hard "capitalist" that opposes social programs in the US does this or at the minimum seem to have a superiority complex.

What do you think?

Not at all! My opposition is that I'm a fiscal conservative. There are poor folks from all walks of life. One of the first lessons that I learned growing up is that "life is not always fair." I think most people have a good opportunity to make a living for themselves and the key to success is to work hard.

Naturally there are people that are handicapped or elderly. They are the first ones that should be granted social programs. I'm all for that!

That said, I'm a believer in spending only as much money as we take in. Once the money is spent, it's gone. PERIOD. IMHO, the worst thing that can happen is to run a deficit and have to borrow OPM and then pay interest on it to boot. This is where our country has gotten into a lot of trouble.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:06 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like most people that oppose more social programs and universal healthcare in the US use a lot of racial undertones to convey their points? Of course not all but it seems the average die hard "capitalist" that opposes social programs in the US does this or at the minimum seem to have a superiority complex.

What do you think?

Note: I'm only talking about the average amateur person that is vehemently "capitalist" (which are the vast majority of people that oppose more social programs etc.) not necessarily the intelligent ones that can actually defend their points of view with substance.
On the contrary, it is most often people who promote more social programs who frame their arguments in racial terms, either citing the need to uplift certain groups or alleging that opponents are motivated by racism . And no, it isn't just you. This is a mainstream liberal tactic.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
The State provides no benefits that can't be provided by the free market.

Last year I paid $37K in federal income taxes. Many thousands of that went to fund the military blowing up babies in the Middle East. How the hell is my not wanting to contribute to mass murder negatively affecting anyone else?

So if a woman hates her rapist, she's just a child whining about how unfair life is. Gotcha.
I don't have an exact figure but I'm probably in that ballpark...maybe a bit lower. I can't bare the thought of knowing the exact number. My lawyer (fellow AnCap if you recall...and I'm dead serious about this) likes to know his number then prints it out on a plain sheet of paper and shreds it. He says he tells himself if he does this then it didn't happen.

Poor bastard.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't have an exact figure but I'm probably in that ballpark...maybe a bit lower. I can't bare the thought of knowing the exact number. My lawyer (fellow AnCap if you recall...and I'm dead serious about this) likes to know his number then prints it out on a plain sheet of paper and shreds it. He says he tells himself if he does this then it didn't happen.

Poor bastard.

One of the downfalls of owning a business--the government doesn't use lube.

I am so envious of you having a lawyer like that.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:11 PM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Is it just me or does it seem like most people that oppose more social programs and universal healthcare in the US use a lot of racial undertones to convey their points?
No, most people who SUPPORT social programs and universal healthcare have a racial agenda of thinking people of or color are too stupid and lazy to advance in society without the help of white people.

Democrats depends on this “victimization” to stay in power indefinitely, as it’s a very lucrative and safe bet.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:15 PM

17,615 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Our family and some relatives received some government assistance at one time in our lives. The difference between then and today is back then we looked upon such assistance as temporary assistance and were shamed to admit we needed such help. We worked to get ourselves out of government assistance. Today there isn’t the shame to be on such assistance. In fact they take great pride in knowing how to use the system to get everything they possibly can to abuse the system. We have no problem with such programs if they’re used as a temporary assistance and only to provide the necessities, not the luxuries.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No, most people who SUPPORT social programs and universal healthcare have a racial agenda of thinking people of or color are too stupid and lazy to advance in society without the help of white people.
100% agreed.

Quote:
Democrats depends on this “victimization” to stay in power indefinitely, as it’s a very lucrative and safe bet.
Then why don't Republicans grow some balls and abolish all welfare and entitlements?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:47 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:

What do you think?

Note: I'm only talking about the average amateur person that is vehemently "capitalist" (which are the vast majority of people that oppose more social programs etc.) not necessarily the intelligent ones that can actually defend their points of view with substance.
I oppose them because all it seems to do is take money from me for social programs that I can't take benefit of myself. I don't have problems with my tax money being used for roads, bridges and parks because I can use them regardless of my status. I don't mind my tax money being used for police and firefighters because I will need them from time to time, and they help keep my community safe. I don't mind tax money going to basic schools and libraries because anyone can take advantage of them.

I have a problem when social programs help only a specific group of people, but yet everyone is expected to chip in. Like WIC for instance. Women, Infant and Children, but yet people without children and men are expected to fork over the money for a program they can't use themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies