Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:21 AM

26,900 posts, read 13,116,821 times

Advertisements

I thought the US already had armed school safety officers.

Although didn't one of them at a recent shooting fail to do anything, possible because he was outgunned by a student with a far more powerful weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:43 AM

17,629 posts, read 13,443,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If no guns existed, the guy would have probably just ran him over with his car, the 'gun' is just the tool they are using, if they didnt exist, he could use something else to kill.

If people started using vehicles to kill other people, would society still tolerate them and accept that their benefits outweigh the negatives, or would they seek to ban or heavily regulate vehicles?...

Look at all the people who have died as a result of motor vehicle accidents, equipment malfunctions, etc going back to when the first motorized car was invented...and people are angry about self driving cars because they may not be totally safe? LOL, they seemed to accept that motorized cars kill plenty of people but they are still good to have around and generally switching from horse and buggy to the motor car was a good thing overall
Yes, we know how this screed goes. If he didn't have a gun he would have run over him with the car, or beaned him with a rock, or stabbed him, or dragged him to the nearest swimming pool and drowned him.

The attempts to equivocate guns to everything from cars to can openers is silly on it's face.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,712,322 times
I'm absolutely sick and tired of gun control. Enough is enough... time to solve this problem. Here's the solution:

Good people get to have guns.

Bad people don't get to have guns.

There, now this thread can die a merciful early death.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 AM

2,106 posts, read 963,981 times
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns .

Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,893,269 times
Some things are simply true, even if some people don't like it.
"Guns do not kill people, people kill people!" Even a gun that fires accidentally does so because some person did something stupid.
"The only thing that can stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun!" True, whether the "good person"is from Law Enforcement or merely a law-abiding citizen who is legally armed.
"A gun is merely a tool. It is not inherently evil!" True, even if it is one of the dreaded "black military-style rifles".
"Teach your children about guns, even if you don't own one and never will!" Yes, children should know that guns are not toys. A child can encounter a gun almost anywhere; in the park, in the alley, in a neighbors house, etc. Teaching YOUR kids that guns are NOT TOYS is YOUR job!

Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM

2,362 posts, read 767,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Guns do not kill people, people kill people!" Even a gun that fires accidentally does so because some person did something stupid.
Poorly manufactured guns can go off even without a trigger pull. I remember reading about a gun recall in Brazil after certain models of handguns would go off after being dropped. This handgun was dealt out to police officers, so it wasn't some "fringe" case either.

Quote:
"The only thing that can stop a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun!" True, whether the "good person"is from Law Enforcement or merely a law-abiding citizen who is legally armed.
The idea is to prevent the bad guy from getting a gun in the first place.

Quote:
"A gun is merely a tool. It is not inherently evil!" True, even if it is one of the dreaded "black military-style rifles".
True, but so are explosives and many other inanimate objects. So are drugs (heroin, etc) and they're still banned.

Quote:
"Teach your children about guns, even if you don't own one and never will!" Yes, children should know that guns are not toys. A child can encounter a gun almost anywhere; in the park, in the alley, in a neighbors house, etc. Teaching YOUR kids that guns are NOT TOYS is YOUR job!
Ok, that we can agree on. My lesson would be: if you see a gun, don't pick it up at all, call the police

To be fair, I like the idea of American gun laws. I think European laws, basically outlawing self-defense, have gone too far. But it's no secret you guys are suffering and are now in a pickle with close to 300 million guns in circulation.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:52 AM

23,444 posts, read 13,678,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
........Let the school resource officers or on-site LEOs possess their guns, but let's keep our teachers unholstered. Who's with me?........

Well, let's take it a step further.

If they say I can't have a gun and then in a defensive situation, I beat a shooter to death in HtH, what is the aftermath against me? Am I going to facing charges, is the ground wide open to lawsuit because I was in a position that was declared it must be unarmed when I had to respond?

As I have said before, if I have to respond HtH, I'm putting the other person in the hospital. That's the way "the system" is conditioned to respond, with that much energy, that much violence to take them out in seconds..............

...................and it is up to the Fates of whether they end up in the ER or the morgue.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,885,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Your post literally contradicts itself.

Your argument basically boils down to: if you ignore all of those people dying from guns, we're saving lives!

I really don't have patience for these kind of BS arguments right now.

We are an embarrassment compared to the rest of the world.

But hey, you get to keep your gun...
Gang bangers gonna gang bang. You either crack down on them with jack boots but the ACLU will get involved and say the police are racially profiling which is true. Or you let them kill off each other and hope someone not in the game doesn't catch a stray.

Suicide basically "your body, your choice". Would renaming it "post birth self abortion" be more acceptable to the Democrats?

Once these two groups are removed, the gun deaths per capita are lower than a lot of other countries.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:58 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,161,772 times
Its simple: more guns equals more gun deaths. Period.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,885,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Poorly manufactured guns can go off even without a trigger pull. I remember reading about a gun recall in Brazil after certain models of handguns would go off after being dropped. This handgun was dealt out to police officers, so it wasn't some "fringe" case either.

The idea is to prevent the bad guy from getting a gun in the first place.

True, but so are explosives and many other inanimate objects. So are drugs (heroin, etc) and they're still banned.

Ok, that we can agree on. My lesson would be: if you see a gun, don't pick it up at all, call the police

To be fair, I like the idea of American gun laws. I think European laws, basically outlawing self-defense, have gone too far. But it's no secret you guys are suffering and are now in a pickle with close to 300 million guns in circulation.
The last recall in the US was Remington if I remember correctly. A model of bolt action rifle was immediately recalled and each one replaced. US gun manufacturers don't play around with safety. I feel comfortable dropping my carry gun on concrete with one in the pipe if requested by police.

How about we implement Mexican gun laws? Bad guys never have guns down there.

You can legally build your own pipe bombs as long as you pay the $200 tax to the BATFE and put a serial number on it. And the feds don't have the Constitutional power to make drugs illegal.

That's good most of the time but having the knowledge to safely clear a weapon is better.

According to one study there are between 450M and 600M serialized guns in circulation. No one knows how many DIY guns there are. I'm OK with both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies