Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:39 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Neither one are that high of a percentage of voters, that it would make any difference if they didn't vote.

Bob.
Wow.

Every citizen has the right to vote - even those citizens whom you believe don't count. Perhaps the percentage voting would be more substantial if they were more able to exercise that right. You might consider that one day you too may fall into one of those groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
Quote:
Neither one are that high of a percentage of voters, that it would make any difference if they didn't vote.

Bob.
Uh, it makes a difference to the idea of democracy. They should have a way to vote, not just "Sorry, you don't get a say in how your country, state, etc. is run because you are legitimately not able to get to a polling place and we took away the absentee/mail-in ways that used to help you."

Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wow.

Every citizen has the right to vote - even those citizens whom you believe don't count. Perhaps the percentage voting would be more substantial if they were more able to exercise that right. You might consider that one day you too may fall into one of those groups.
I once saw a post...maybe here, maybe elsewhere...in which someone actually asked whether or not it was appropriate for people to vote if they knew they were going to move after the election. I was astounded that someone could even question that.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
There should be a way to track our ballot after it's scanned so we can actually see it online with our choices filled in.

Voter ID shoul be mandatory. Additionally I'd use the purple thumb method for in person voting. Or get your hand stamped like they do at nightclubs.

Sweep the voter rolls by connecting them to the IRS records and death certificates.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
There should be a way to track our ballot after it's scanned so we can actually see it online with our choices filled in.

Voter ID shoul be mandatory. Additionally I'd use the purple thumb method for in person voting. Or get your hand stamped like they do at nightclubs.

Sweep the voter rolls by connecting them to the IRS records and death certificates.
You want to dye voters' thumbs purple in a first world country like the United States?

Uh, no, that I will not support.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Uh, it makes a difference to the idea of democracy. They should have a way to vote, not just "Sorry, you don't get a say in how your country, state, etc. is run because you are legitimately not able to get to a polling place and we took away the absentee/mail-in ways that used to help you."
Some one posted that it is not the absentee ballots, but the people that count them that is the problem.
Well, how bout not having absentee ballots,or mail in ballots, then they will not have to count them.
I have lived a long life, and only recently have I heard the words "voter fraud".
Years ago, people showed up to the polls to vote, and there were no incidences that I can ever recall of "voter fraud."
That only started when mail in, and absentee ballots came into vogue.
I say stop the crap, and get to the polls however one can, and if you can't, I am sure the government will understand.

Bob.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Some one posted that it is not the absentee ballots, but the people that count them that is the problem.
Well, how bout not having absentee ballots,or mail in ballots, then they will not have to count them.
I have lived a long life, and only recently have I heard the words "voter fraud".
Years ago, people showed up to the polls to vote, and there were no incidences that I can ever recall of "voter fraud."
I say stop the crap, and get to the polls however one can, and if you can't, I am sure the government will understand.

Bob.
Surely you jest. Ballot tampering has been around as long as there have been ballots. There's always someone who thinks they can game the system.

I do find it curious that you have no problem disenfranchising certain voters but are concerned about vote fraud. They are similar in what they attempt to accomplish.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
Quote:

Bob.
What does "the government will understand" mean? It's about the voter's rights, not the government.

Your idea would disenfranchise people who legitimately cannot get to a voting place, so it is in no way a fair solution.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
I like the new voting system here in California. You get the ballot in the mail a month before the election, you can take your time filling it out, then sign it and drop it off at one of many convenient secure drop-off locations.

Voter fraud mostly exists in the imaginations of political commentators. It's used a fear tactic to drum up support for voter ID. North Carolina might be one of very few cases of proven ballot tampering. It's very rare.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Bob.
It's not about the government understanding, Bob. It's about citizens exercising their RIGHT to vote. It is each state government's job to facilitate that process, not to put barriers in the way. My state, Colorado, chooses to use mail ballots, which I personally believe leads to higher participation rates and better quality results. I am not inclined to return to days past when long lines at the polling station were the only way to vote, particularly in a state like this one where TABOR requires that seemingly everything has to be put before the electorate, meaning ridiculously long and complex ballots. Sometimes I question why we even have a state legislature, but that's another thread. At least, though, I have plenty of time to perform due diligence while I'm filling in my choices at the dining room table, rather than standing there scratching my head in the booth wondering if, say, Myer or Meyer, was the judge I wanted gone. Mail in ballots are great! Just ask a Coloradan.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-07-2018 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: refined word choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies