Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:52 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
When the President calls personally, any citizen responds.

I'm absolutely sure Kelly was content with his job as Secretary of Homeland Security, a job he was well suited for. But, as a citizen, and after observing the wreckage that was left by Trump's former Chiefs of Staff behind when they left, I'm pretty sure that Kelly took the job as much an obligation to his country as anything.

Someone has to be the garbage collector or the garbage threatens everyone with disease when it piles up. The garbage stinks, but the disease doesn't. Kelly had spent his career trying to keep one mental disease after another from spreading. What was ISIS other than a widespread mental disease?

The guy has his own thoughts and feelings, but he's no sycophant. Any ex-General has already fought struggles he knew he could never win, but must be fought.

I don't fault him for anything. If he leaves, then he leaves the garbage pit a little bit cleaner than when he arrived. If he couldn't get the mess cleared out, it only shows how big it truly is.
ITA with the above. I think he just gave it his best shot out of duty, and found that it didn't work. No harm in trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:56 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is the last person around Trump who was prepared to tackle him if he suddenly lurched towards the nuclear launch button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Trump may be erratic but lurching towards the nuclear button is really the last of my worries. Trump is not a man of war -- not anywhere near the level of Obama, or GW Bush before him.
I don't know. He is very easily triggered.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Can you please link to the WSJ article? I would like to read it, and a search of John Kelly on the WSJ website turned up only an article from Nov 13th, which discussed Trump considering a possible shake-up that included Secretary Nielsen and Kelly. This latest story is different in that it seems to be coming from Kelly rather than Trump. In any case, I don't see any evidence of a recent article at the WSJ stating that Kelly would stay until 2020. Could you have gotten your source wrong?
It's not a recent article. It's from 4 months ago.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times
John Kelly can't keep up with Trump, who can survive on four hours of sleep and expects everyone else to keep up with him

Old 12-07-2018, 12:16 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,363,801 times
The White House revolving door is spinning.... Trump is on track for a staff change every week. I guess "only the best people" are hard to keep.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not a recent article. It's from 4 months ago.
Thanks. If that's the case, then that's plenty of time for things to have changed.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think my biggest problem with Trump is that he runs this country like a company.
I think this is Trump's biggest flaw.
Pretty funny considering how many people for many, many years moaned that we needed a president who was a businessman.

I think Trump trying to run the country efficiently for a change is his biggest strength and why most voted for him. I'm guessing you didn't vote for Trump as much as you voted against Hillary.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:34 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Pretty funny considering how many people for many, many years moaned that we needed a president who was a businessman.

I think Trump trying to run the country efficiently for a change is his biggest strength and why most voted for him. I'm guessing you didn't vote for Trump as much as you voted against Hillary.
well, can't really argue with you about this.

I started wondering if I voted for Trump because of Trump, or I voted for Trump because I voted against Hillary. Maybe a little bit both.

Good point. About your first paragraph, however, I don't think you need a businessman as the president, just like I don't believe you need a woman as the president. I think you need a person who KNOWS the system and is capable of working with all different types of people and personalities.

Being a businessman has advantages and disadvantages, depends on how you are going to use your experiences and your unique talents. If you are the "I will fire anybody I don't like" type of person, then sorry to say, you are not even a good CEO. lol

In my opinion, the characters of good CEOs are

drive and resilience
original thinking
the ability to visualize the future
team building
being an active communicator
the ability to catalyze others to action

I think Trump has some of these qualities, and he needs improvement in other areas.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-07-2018 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Apparently he and Trump becoming more estranged. This is bad news, as he’s one of the last experienced members of the cabinet who isn’t a complete sycophant. If Mattis is next, the nation is really in a bad place.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/07/polit...ump/index.html

CNN? As many times as they've been caught lying/pushing fake news?
Have to laugh.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
John Kelly can't keep up with Trump, who can survive on four hours of sleep and expects everyone else to keep up with him
Well it's going to eventually catch up with Trump at his age, that's not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies