Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 02:28 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

Two siblings; children.

Child #1 steals cookies. Child #2 sees it, but does not think the parents will do anything about it, or believe, because Child #1 is the "golden child" who always gets away with stuff.

One day, Child #2 tells Parent, "Child #1 stole cookies one day you know. I didn't tell you then, but I'm telling you now. I'm not asking you to punish Child #1 but they should probably say they're sorry. And I thought you should know."

Child #1's response, "I NEVER STOLE ANYTHING, YOU ARE LYING BECAUSE YOU HATE ME! YOU ALWAYS HATED ME! YOU WANT ALL THE COOKIES FOR YOURSELF AND YOU HATE ME AND YOU'RE LYING YOU LIAR!"

Child #2: Wow.

Seriously how it looks sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 06:24 PM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
I ran a business with many female employees over a 45 year period and I was always super careful of what I said and did. Many of the women used racy language, but I refrained. If I accidently brushed one, I would always say excuse me. Even back then, your career could be ruined by someone you had an innocent interaction with. I went to conventions with female employees but always stayed on a different floor or different hotel altogether. Dinners were with numerous other employees or vendors. I agree with what this thread is about and you can apply it to seniors who could file an age discrimination suit. It could have the unintended consequence of not hiring an over 55 person for fear of a lawsuit if they didn't work out and were replaced with a younger person.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 PM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a bunch of hogwash.

How did I make it through over 30 years in the work force and not have a single issue working with women or have any issues of sexual harrassment?

This hand wringing by execs is the same hysterical nonsense perpetuated by those who would have you believe that there is an epidemic of false rape/sexual harrassment accusations by women in general.

If any of you guys are like me, treated all in the workplace, including women, with the same professional courtesy, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This is not rocket science folks.

If any of you good old boys feel threatened because you no longer can oggle your female co-workers, make crude, sexist comments and jokes, hit on them, or tell them how sexy they look in their skirts, good. Time to get with the program and live in the 21st century, not the 19th century.
I think there are some old school folks still in the workplace who take exception to this sort of thing. Heck, I was at a social event the other day with some former colleagues, and there was this older gentleman who attended who was a consultant for the company. The words coming out of this guy's mouth had plenty of us cringing. Not only inappropriate in a professional setting among colleagues, but inappropriate as a consultant representing his brand with us. But the way he was acting, it was clear he thought he was being appropriate.

I think there are some old school folks who may have crossed the boundary one too many times in their past, and now they're being ultra cautious not to accidentally cross that line again.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 12-11-2018 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 06:51 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I've followed the "Pence rule " long before it was called that. Much safer, and you never have to answer to a boss or spouse about an embarrassing accusation.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
If you had even the slightest experience dealing with sexual assault you would cringe at such misogyny, much like I am at the moment. No one ever concluded any of what you suggested outside of right-oriented conservative websites or pundits and just about any professional with expertise in such cases supported Dr. Fords claim as worthy of investigating.

If you had the slightest clue about how difficult it is for victims to share their story, let alone to do so on a National stage you would hang your head in shame.

As for the original post, the #MeToo movement was long overdue and very much necessary. I think we'll need a full generation for its effect to settle in properly, but I'm optimistic it will. And maybe then dinosaurs like Tencent will eventually take their rightful place and finally contribute to society in a meaningful way as fossil fuel.
Anyone who watched Ford's testimony--recounted under oath in baby talk with baby hairdo and with non-recollection of when, where, who--and believed it, might want to take a good look at their ability to think logically. But of course that's ridiculous, because if you're illogical you won't be able to consider how illogical you are.

This was a political hit, period. That's all it was, it was designed to try, convict, execute on emotion emotion emotion.

NOBODY asked "Dr." Ford if she always talks like she's eight years old. "So, Doctor Ford, do you teach your classes talking baby talk? Do you defend dissertations talking baby talk? Do you talk to clients in baby talk? Doctor, do you EVER talk 'grown-up'? Just curious, DOCTOR."
The questions about why she can't recall any particulars, except that a Supreme Court nominee "did it" were not present.

Clarence Thomas had to undergo the same treatment. Some woman who ended up rich and famous was willing to go to bat for The Cause, i.e. radical leftist destruction.
In fact, these accusations against practically anyone right of center are pretty much SOP now.

Funny how none of this EVER came up until the target conservative was considered for an important post. Real funny, as in real peculiar.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:10 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Sure looking forward to that running and hiding...

Old 12-11-2018, 09:19 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Glad I work with [almost] all women; we show up every day, TCB, and no one gets #MeToo’d. Weird; it’s almost like women aren’t the problem...
Haha... I also work in a predominantly female workplace, and we've had no problems among the women. But there was one incident about a year ago, where a female colleague filed a complaint against one of the few males. It was a tough situation, since on the surface her complaint was totally justified (he did make an inappropriate comment). For those of us who knew this man best, however, it was obvious to US that he didn't mean it the way it came across; he's just one of those people who is always toeing the line of appropriate behavior, whether it's towards a male or female. And I know he's harmless, not to mention has zero sexual interest in that particular female.

At any rate, our HR department ended up demoting and transferring him to another location. So I guess that was a fair compromise, since (as I said) it wasn't a cut & dry situation.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Please re-read the article. The article is about men wishing to avoid situations that might be harmful to their own careers should a woman imagine things occuring That. Are. Not. There.

In the real world, essentially all allegations of sexual harassment are by women against men. And the legal standard isn't what that man did - it is how that woman feels.

We've heard of allegations where a woman says she feels uncomfortable because a co-worker leers at her in the break room -- even though the man doesn't even notice she exists and instead is thinking about the poor performance of his fantasy football team over the weekend and all that objectively happened was she wandered through his line of sight.
What advice do you and others have for us men to avoid accusations in that scenario that you listed above?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Imagine thinking women are the ones who have privileges in society, and not men for the past few thousand years or so.
That was true at one time, but now the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

Quote:
Why do you think a woman would be so spiteful to ruin someone's career over a false allegation? Do you think it's revenge for past treatment in the workplace or something? And why would we want to ruin our reputation by making ourselves look like a "taddle tale" or a snitch or a potential liability to future companies by accusing someone unless it was true?
Same reasons that anybody makes false accusations.

Also, keep in mind that many of these cases are not completely false accusations, but rather a man saying something completely innocent, and a woman imagining a hidden, sexual meaning in what he says. I have no idea how I, as a man, can protect myself against that.

Quote:
Again, behave correctly and there will be no issue. Sorry it's not a free ticket for you to do whatever you want at the workplace anymore.
Many men do behave "correctly" and are still falsely accused. Like I said and posted about in the past, it happened to me in 7th grade and again in grad school.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:25 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
This thread does have some validity. I'm being told to proactively recruit more women but not to talk to any. (Of course, the two sets of instructions are coming from different people.) I'm going to err in favor of the former, but I'm not pretending that strategy is free of risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies