Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So what you are saying is that women cause men to sexually assault them?
Sleepy, your post is off-topic in this thread. Please read the original article. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...en-at-all-cost

The article and this thread are about respectful, properly behaving men avoiding any situation where they might suffer career homicide as the result of how a woman might feel about something that objectively. never. happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Again, behave correctly and there will be no issue.
If only that were true. The issue is not about men's behaviour.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Treat women the way you would want your mother or your sister treated and I guarantee you that you will never be the subject of a sexual harassment accusation.
If only that were true.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm saying that rape and getting metoed can be even if you did nothing wrong. That's all.
And I guess men could falsely accuse a priest for molesting them 40 years ago too, but when did you last raise that issue? You don't ask that question of men because you believe that no man would lie about such a thing. You might want to so some soul searching and figure out why you think women would lie but men wouldn't.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Sleepy, your post is off-topic in this thread.
My post was in direct response to this:

Quote:
How about instead of crying about rape, you* escape the misandry and use some of the manners your parents taught you? don't touch men butt in a club, don't hug strangers, don't do drugs. If you will avoid all of those behaviors you will never be raped! Right? Right?!
*You as a feminist. Not Prickly Pear.
Quote:
So what you are saying is that women cause men to sexually assault them?
Please explain how my response was off topic

Old 12-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
And I guess men could falsely accuse a priest for molesting them 40 years ago too, but when did you last raise that issue? You don't ask that question of men because you believe that no man would lie about such a thing. You might want to so some soul searching and figure out why you think women would lie but men wouldn't.
Sleepy, please try to stay on topic.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
No, it's very very relevant. You are now blaming the victim, the man that got metoed for nothing, that he did something wrong. Like the rape victim that blamed because she "wore something revealing".
You as a female cannot understand our fear. You have no empathy to the victims of falseful sex allegations. And it's because you, as a female, will never get metoed. Check your privileges.
Very well said. I have posted several times that I was twice falsely accused of sexual harassment, once in 7th grade, once in grad school. Another poster said that obviously I did something wrong if I was accused twice, since many other men are never falsely accused. Basically, she was blaming me, the victim. That same poster said that she has been sexually harassed many times. If I were to flip around what she said, and say that it was obviously her fault, since many other women are never sexually harassed, I would be seen as victim blaming, and it would be considered beyond offensive. Why the double standard?

A real problem with sexual harassment laws is how they punish men who are shorter, seen as less attractive, and more socially awkward. They also punish men who are more innocent who may not pick up on hidden sexual innuendo in an innocent comment, which some women may pick up on even when not intended. It is almost impossible to protect yourself from that, since almost anything can be interpreted sexually.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Sleepy, please try to stay on topic.
I am directly responding to other posts in this thread. If my response is off topic then so are the posts I'm responding to. But following your reasoning I guess this response to your post is also off topic right, but your post isn't?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:45 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Women can mitigate this by applying pressure to false accusers and ensuring they are held responsible for their lies.

Is anyone going to protest that Christine Ford get indicted? Last I checked the Feds found her story not only uncorroborated but INCONSISTENT and determined the likelihood of Kavanaugh even meeting her was slim to none

When Men see their reputations can't be tarnished by a simple accusation then maybe things will change.
If you had even the slightest experience dealing with sexual assault you would cringe at such misogyny, much like I am at the moment. No one ever concluded any of what you suggested outside of right-oriented conservative websites or pundits and just about any professional with expertise in such cases supported Dr. Fords claim as worthy of investigating.

If you had the slightest clue about how difficult it is for victims to share their story, let alone to do so on a National stage you would hang your head in shame.

As for the original post, the #MeToo movement was long overdue and very much necessary. I think we'll need a full generation for its effect to settle in properly, but I'm optimistic it will. And maybe then dinosaurs like Tencent will eventually take their rightful place and finally contribute to society in a meaningful way as fossil fuel.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Over-reaction. #Metoo is about scumbags behaving like scumbags. It's about assault, or quid-pro-quo demands ("you can buy this employment opportunity/acting gig IF...."). The above (quoted) is mostly nonsense. The fact that none of those guys have encountered any problems in their careers so far, in dealing with women colleges, shows there's nothing to worry about.

Why suddenly get nervous now, if there's been smooth sailing for 5, 10, 20 years already? Ridiculous. Not even believable, in fact. It comes across like a cheap sensationalist journalism ploy. Threatening women with consequences for their careers, just because other women elsewhere have spoken out against crimes committed against them.
#Metoo is about everyone believing unproved allegations made by women smearing men and ruining their careers. With no chance to confront their accusers. And that power that women hold over men is what have changed. Yes, most women probably will not make false accusations against men. But how would a man know this given that a single accusation of some real or imagined impropriety, bad joke, etc. can end someone's career and ruin his family?

So for me, if there is a woman I don't know at work I am not talking to them outside of a polite greeting. I will certainly never go out of my way to let them know of any opportunity I might hear about. And of course I will never volunteer to provide any advice to a woman I don't already know well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies