Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:28 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times

Advertisements

When you see the self destruction that is going on in this election campaign.When you look at the state of the American Health Care System.When you look at the Bridges, roads and infrastructure collapsing all around you. When you look at the strangle hold that China and the arab world have on America with oil and goods. When you see immigration completely out of control. When you see Young kids going on shooting sprees. When you see America criticised if they don't send "enough" money to other countries for their "disaster" and critisiced for interfering if they do.When you see the subprime market going into a downward spiral with losses out of control. Does that not make the normal everyday hard working American Citizen incensed as to where did the real America go? Is this Presidential Election with the choice of three candidates that will do nothing and just carry on the status quo, the last nail in the American coffin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
I wouldn't say its the last nail in our coffin. Americans may be many things including contentious, but we do know how to come together when times get tough. If our economy tanks to the point of the 1930s, we will survive it. The good thing about such a disaster would be more Americans will become disatisfied with the two political parties we have. It will lead to an opening for someone like Ron Paul (not that I agree with everything he has to say) but basically someone outside of the political cabal who will excite everyone. Look at the response Obama has. People see him as an outsider with no ties to lobbyists, he isn't owned the way Bush, McCain, and Clinton are.
So, yeah I think we are in a bad place now. I also think that when push comes to shove, Americans can and will do what it takes to turn it around.
I hope

Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 PM

I hope you are right but i think that big company politics has taken over America. The normal hard working American is just given lip service by the politicians. America has always been famous for its determination against any foreign foe. The problem is that America is being eaten up from within. When i was in Florida last year i saw signs on gas pumps "please pay inside before filling". I was told by the owner that it was because illegals were running off without paying. This is just a tiny way that America in itself is changing. I saw a film of young kids riding their bikes in their neighbourhoods, safe and innocent. Everyone now are becoming suspicious of even their neighbours. I love America and all it stands for but i am saddened watching it become eaten up with infighting and company politics.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:48 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
When you see the self destruction that is going on in this election campaign.When you look at the state of the American Health Care System.When you look at the Bridges, roads and infrastructure collapsing all around you. When you look at the strangle hold that China and the arab world have on America with oil and goods. When you see immigration completely out of control. When you see Young kids going on shooting sprees. When you see America criticised if they don't send "enough" money to other countries for their "disaster" and critisiced for interfering if they do.When you see the subprime market going into a downward spiral with losses out of control. Does that not make the normal everyday hard working American Citizen incensed as to where did the real America go? Is this Presidential Election with the choice of three candidates that will do nothing and just carry on the status quo, the last nail in the American coffin?
There is no coffin. No more drama please.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:49 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
There is no coffin. No more drama please.
You're right. We can just wrap the body in the flag before we incinerate it.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:53 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Baloney, this nation is the greatest and most powerful on earth, and will continue to both prosper and do great deeds.

Nothing like challenges to get the old juices flowing. Just remember the "malaise" speech by Jimmy Carter. Hardly accurate, eh?

Jimmy Carter's Malaise Speech, 1979 - Right Wing News (Conservative News and Views) (http://www.rightwingnews.com/speeches/carter.php - broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 03:57 PM

Drama? Have you been watching the elections? Drama? Have you seen the falling bridges, cranes etc? Have you seen the corruption in high office? The list is endless. Everyone can just put their head in the sand and forget that their ass is sticking out to be shot off. America is in trouble. To ignore it and pretend that it will go away is only going to help the process along. The American people have always been amazing examples for the rest of the world to follow. If you can see light at the end of the tunnel then that is more wishful thinking than realism. Even a country like Iran calls Americas bluff and gets away with it. When John Kennedy stood firm against Russia with the missile crisis, Russia backed down because they knew that the American people were a formidable force. Would that happen today? Maybe! but back then it wasn't even a maybe.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Boy, are you going to be in for a surprise over the next decade. Geeoro, the future is so bright for the USA that you can't even understand it.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Baloney, this nation is the greatest and most powerful on earth, and will continue to both prosper and do great deeds.

Nothing like challenges to get the old juices flowing. Just remember the "malaise" speech by Jimmy Carter. Hardly accurate, eh?

Jimmy Carter's Malaise Speech, 1979 - Right Wing News (Conservative News and Views) (http://www.rightwingnews.com/speeches/carter.php - broken link)
I remain convinced that that was the Nobel Committee's real motivation to give the peanut the prize.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Drama? Have you been watching the elections? Drama? Have you seen the falling bridges, cranes etc? Have you seen the corruption in high office? The list is endless. Everyone can just put their head in the sand and forget that their ass is sticking out to be shot off. America is in trouble. To ignore it and pretend that it will go away is only going to help the process along. The American people have always been amazing examples for the rest of the world to follow. If you can see light at the end of the tunnel then that is more wishful thinking than realism. Even a country like Iran calls Americas bluff and gets away with it. When John Kennedy stood firm against Russia with the missile crisis, Russia backed down because they knew that the American people were a formidable force. Would that happen today? Maybe! but back then it wasn't even a maybe.
Yes drama. The 'sky is falling', everything is a conspiracy left wing drama. That's exactly what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies