Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...dicare-1052215

The drone lord is at it again, why can’t he leave us alone?

The goal isn’t universal coverage alone, it is to get the profit motive out of healthcare distribution.
Let me get this straight. People who distribute healthcare shouldnt be able to make a profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I agree that more competition in the form of a public option would be a good thing. However, I would note that the Swiss system which is largely based on private insurance with voucher/subsidy support to individuals has much lower prescription drug costs than the USA.

https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ds-prescr.aspx

The fact is a profit motive does lead to new innovations in health care and drugs. Both the Swiss and U.S. system rank pretty high on the innovation front (due to the profit motive). That said, the U.S. system (particularly big pharma) is too far to the extreme with profit taking precedence over universal care.

The Swiss seem to have found a reasonable balance between efficiency, universal care, affordability and innovation. The last numbers I saw had the Swiss spending about 11 percent of GDP on healthcare while the US spends 17 percent.
Swiss spending is second to only the US and significantly higher than most other countries.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...es/#item-start

The Swiss culture is risk adverse and most take personal responsibility for their own health. 99% of the population complies with the Individual Mandate. In contrast, the US eliminated the Individual Mandate this year.

The Swiss obesity rate is about half the rate in the US. While the tobacco smoking rate has been declining, it remain higher than the US.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I think Donald's exact words were "You'll pay LESS....for BETTER coverage."

Has that happened yet? Any Trump voters want to chime in????
Right up to the 2016 Election is was all about more for a tiny fraction of cost.

Very, very light on details beyond it was going to be so easy.

His inauguration speech was the first unquestionable tip off, they had nothing. Healthcare was not mentioned.

Within weeks, Trump let loose with the “ no one knew healthcare was complicated”.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Funny. The Dems passed Obamacare that fixed all the healthcare system. What happened?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Medicare for All legislation would effectively eliminate private health coverage. And talk of greater government influence over health care has alarmed providers that contend Medicare and Medicaid currently pay only a fraction of what it costs to care for beneficiaries.

What will be Left is not Medicare for All ... it will be Medicaid for All.
Any employee who has Medical Insurance through their Employer would lose that Insurance.
Union Employees would lose their Insurance.
ALL Government Employees (Federal, State, Local) would lose their Insurance.

I’m will for them to give this new Utopian Medicare for All a test run.
Do the Test Run on ALL Government Employees, at ALL Levels.
CongressCritters can report back to us in a few years on how well it works.
While I advocate for Universal Healthcare, I am not in the Medicare for All camp.

Generally speaking, the most lucrative private insurance plans are the Supplimental Plans to help pay for that which Medicare does not.

Without 40 years of contributions to Medicare before becoming eligible, what might the premiums be for. Medicare for All ?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Good question, and one that will need to be addressed sooner than later.

For starters he should have found a way to completely stop Obamacare and put us right back where we were before 2009 with our healthcare. Then find tweaks and improvements to get our system back on track.
Instead he tried to replace one with the other, and couldn't convince those who hated Obamacare (or had proclaimed to) to get rid of it.

On a general note, many of us feared that with any "entitlement plan", once it is in place, it is politically hard to rid yourself of it.

`
In the face of more than 70 failed attempts to repeal the ACA, Trump CHOSE to conjoin Repeal and Replace and in doing so, forever changed the conversation. That he / his people had no plan became obvious to the most casual observer upon inauguration. While healthcare was one of the top agenda items at every rally leading up to the election, it was critickets during his inauguration speech.

No shortage of Republicans running in the 2018 midterms suddenly proclaimed their support for forcing insurers to insure everyone regardless of preexisting conditions and do so without charging higher premiums.

That’s progress.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
And Wisconsin just had a lame-duck governor prevent the incoming elected Ds from changing that. I'd say they're not content. Not at all.
Despite proximity to Wisconsin I don’t stay up to date on the day to day. Last I was aware the intent was to impose a work requirement on all able- bodied Medicaid recipients under 50. Sounds reasonable to me.

No certainty Walker would sign it.

What have I missed?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:34 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Swiss spending is second to only the US and significantly higher than most other countries.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...es/#item-start

The Swiss culture is risk adverse and most take personal responsibility for their own health. 99% of the population complies with the Individual Mandate. In contrast, the US eliminated the Individual Mandate this year.

The Swiss obesity rate is about half the rate in the US. While the tobacco smoking rate has been declining, it remain higher than the US.
The ENTIRE Population of Switzerland (8.5 Million) is just a little more than the Population of New York City (8.1 Million) ...... and the Swiss spending on Health Care is second ONLY to the ENTIRE USA !!!

WOW!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Funny. The Dems passed Obamacare that fixed all the healthcare system. What happened?
What’s with the absolutes?

There is no such thing as a perfect healthcare system for all the people, all the time, anywhere.

Those countries with Universal Healthcare, amend it annually and periodically reform it.

Only in the US does there seem to be a vocal minority that if something is not perfect for everyone, all the time, it’s worthless.

Healthcare is the most basic human need. Nonetheless, it has been politicized moreso than just about any other issue. Imagine instead of politicizing it, since passage in April, 2010, all that time and effort had gone into making it better.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The ENTIRE Population of Switzerland (8.5 Million) is just a little more than the Population of New York City (8.1 Million) ...... and the Swiss spending on Health Care is second ONLY to the ENTIRE USA !!!

WOW!
Per capita, per the link.

But you knew that, didn’t you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies