Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 03:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
That's...still in no way Mexico paying for the wall. It would still be coming from our pockets either way. Whether it's something that's $100 now from Mexico (when it was originally $80) or $80 from Canada, it's still not Mexico giving us money.

Unless it forces Mexico to lower it's cost so that with the tariffs the product is $80. Then the govt has the money for a wall and the consumer pays the same as before. But honestly, I didn't read the quote that you quoted and don't view tariffs as a likely source of wall funding. I'd prefer to see a tax on remittances.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:34 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
The wall is nothing but a giant distraction to divert attention away from Trump's morass of problems. Nobody in a position of power wants the wall or thinks it will accomplish anything except add to the U.S. deficit.

Trump was talking about the wall even before he was elected so WTH are you talking about? How will it add to the deficit when illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year vs a $25 billion wall. Did you fail at math?

Old 12-17-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsOne View Post
So your answer is that yes, the American taxpayers will not only be responsible for the cost of building the wall, but for the cost of maintaining it once it's finished and for decades to come. We are putting a huge expense onto the future generations, on top of the huge debt we've already saddled them with. And most people don't believe it will be effective, or "worth it," when there are much cheaper ways to deal with the problem.

I'm very happy the Republicans refused to fund it, as that was Trump's best chance to get it started. Now that the Democrats are taking over the purse strings, it will never happen. And I, along with the vast majority of Americans, think that's a good thing.

Why is it that your and yours don't factor the costs of illegal immigration into this which is over $100 billion a year? You can't see which is cheaper, them or the wall????

It doesn't matter what the uninformed believe. Are they too stupid to research the issue or those in here just ignoring the facts I posted with several links proving the walls on the border are effective? There is no cheaper way to secure the border from illegal entry than by good walls. If walls don't work then why do we have them around our homes and businesses. Why don't they find a cheaper way to secure their properties then if there is such a thing.

It's mostly the Democrats refusing to fund it. Pelosi and Schumer went right on TV and said so! Sorry, to hear that the vast number of Americans are stupid. It's pretty stupid to ignore the facts, isn't it? Here's a link from the DHS. Are you still going to remain in denial? If so, what does that say about you and yours? This is just a start. We need the funds to complete the 700 mile long wall on the most porous areas of our border as promise by congress back in 2006.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Old 12-17-2018, 03:40 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Unless it forces Mexico to lower it's cost so that with the tariffs the product is $80. Then the govt has the money for a wall and the consumer pays the same as before. But honestly, I didn't read the quote that you quoted and don't view tariffs as a likely source of wall funding. I'd prefer to see a tax on remittances.
Ah, ok. A lot of people on here do seem to think that the tariffs will somehow be Mexico paying when really it's all just us if it happens.

I think it's not smart to do The Wall first before all of the other ways to combat this issue, though. So many more efficient ways.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why is it that your and yours don't factor the costs of illegal immigration into this which is over $100 billion a year? You can't see which is cheaper, them or the wall????

It doesn't matter what the uninformed believe. Are they too stupid to research the issue or those in here just ignoring the facts I posted with several links proving the walls on the border are effective? There is no cheaper way to secure the border from illegal entry than by good walls. If walls don't work then why do we have them around our homes and businesses. Why don't they find a cheaper way to secure their properties then if there is such a thing.

It's mostly the Democrats refusing to fund it. Pelosi and Schumer went right on TV and said so! Sorry, to hear that the vast number of Americans are stupid. It's pretty stupid to ignore the facts, isn't it? Here's a link from the DHS. Are you still going to remain in denial? If so, what does that say about you and yours?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work
Are you too stupid to realize the advantage the U.S. enjoyed for decades having a huge pool of cheap, unaccounted for labour to use in NAFTA against Canada? You cannot find a spot in the U.S. where manufacturing or agriculture didn't employ thousands of them giving you a definite cost advantage.

All that gets forgotten when you start talking about secondary costs.

Hypocrite.

Last edited by BruSan; 12-17-2018 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsOne View Post
I don't buy your numbers. And neither does anyone else. And I don't believe we should be adding a huge maintenance bill to future generations for something that no one outside of a very small minority think is necessary.

This is how it works in America. Congress decides what they will fund. Not you, not me, but Congress. And Congress said no.

Time for you to move on, because the rest of country certainly has.

Re-read my post #1085 as I added some things to it. The DHS disagrees with you. No, only those who have a vested interest in illegal immigration have moved on because they just plain don't want a wall no matter what it costs or who pays for it.

"Nobody" agrees with the link I provided about the costs of illegal immigration? Wow, kind of stretch, isn't it? Maybe those who disagree could prove the link wrong then but they can't because it's the truth. So the maintenance on the wall would cost $100 billion a year? Are you serious? Did you read the DHS link I just provided? So the DHS is wrong to? You know more than them? All the links I provided proving that the good walls do work you're just going to ignore? Speaking of ignore welcome to my ignore list. I have no further need to debate this issue with someone like you who just sticks their head in the sand when the facts are provided to you. So you just joined this forum? Hmm, lol.

I am well aware how congress works when it comes to funding and since it's mostly the Democrats that are balking at it Trump has threatened to shut the government down in the best interests of our national security and rightly so! Buh, bye!

Old 12-17-2018, 04:03 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
It’s always good to see people calling others uninformed in the same post they cite figures that intentionally omit critical data to falsely inflate the cost of illegal immigrants. It’s even better when that poster has been schooled a number of times on this point, yet continues to cite the fake $100 billion cost time after lying time.

The real uninformed are those who still believe Mexico will pay for the wall like a retiree getting fleeced out of his savings by telephone fraudsters that cogent people would be too savvy to fall for.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I think it's not smart to do The Wall first before all of the other ways to combat this issue, though. So many more efficient ways.

I might agree if the Democrats (and the courts) quit fighting tooth and nail against all the other more efficient ways as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:29 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
If anything, trying to draw an equivalency between a garden wall around someone's residence and a border wall designed to keep motivated immigrants out of the US altogether undercuts your argument. What a ridiculous comparison.

Locking your door (a virtually free exercise) is an even more moronic one, given that people generally oppose the wall out of cost-benefit concerns.

If you are going to make a border wall argument, make it, but claiming that a wildly expensive border wall will work because you lock your car door is beyond stupid.

Do those same people support spending $120 + billion taxpayer dollars a year dealing with illegal aliens? Heck the tent facility housing 2700 illegal minors is costing $1,000,000 per day to operate yet democrats don't want to pay for a wall.

The bolded is absurd, particularly given that politicians have never had an issue spending someone else's money on ridiculous studies and experiments.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:58 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Do those same people support spending $120 + billion taxpayer dollars a year dealing with illegal aliens? Heck the tent facility housing 2700 illegal minors is costing $1,000,000 per day to operate yet democrats don't want to pay for a wall.

The bolded is absurd, particularly given that politicians have never had an issue spending someone else's money on ridiculous studies and experiments.
Pointing out that the Government has wasted money on other boondoggle projects too is hardly a compelling narrative in support of the wall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies