Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 07:02 AM

36,791 posts, read 31,062,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Did you ever stop to think that maybe that animal is part of fixing what is "seriously wrong with them?"
No. Look Im an animal lover and I understand that animals can be useful in some situations for therapy but no I dont believe needing said animal to be at your side in order to leave your house, go to Wal Mart, take a flight, etc. is a legitimate fix for emotional or psychiatric issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,753,600 times
Obviously there's a great deal of disdain for "emotional support animals" on flights.

Is there equal disdain for ESAs out in the public, in general?

I take my dog (an adorable, elderly and well-behaved Sheltie) with me to church. Not only is she absolutely silent, but it's a comfort to both her and me to be together. Incredibly, a lone soul at the church complained about "that woman who sits in the back with a dog." And yet several congregants told me, "I didn't even know you had a dog with you until I saw you walk out the door!"

BTW, it requires a doctor's note (in Virginia) to have a dog become an ESA.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 12-12-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-12-2018, 08:08 AM

19,945 posts, read 9,504,933 times
Good for Delta, although I would have gone further and banned ALL animals no matter how long the flight, except for actual "documented" service animals -- unless other another airline doesn't fly to a Delta destination.

Yes, Delta might lose some business and be the subject of protests, but I think other airlines might welcome the lost business; even though it wouldn't surprise me if Delta would actually gain more business than it lost.

HOWEVER, I willingly admit that this (my) entire post might be wrong because I have not flown recently, so I don't know how much of an issue emotional support animals on flights actually is because I have not personally been inconvenienced them them. I just know that there seems to be a lot of negative publicity about them in the past year or two.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,685,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No one said they need to, but you are under the assumption the only animals they may encounter are ESA, however, there is a potential for them to encounter any type. If they are that damn allergic to them, they need to prepare to take a pill anyway. Cats and dogs are allowed on planes, have so for decades, it is just hardly anyone noticed because they were stowed under the seat in a carrier. A person allergic to them will not know if they are there unless of course they ask.

But a person allergic can encounter a dog or cat anywhere outside their home, so they need to be prepared to do something about it.
While true that a person can encounter a dog or cat anywhere outside their home, they most likely would have the option of leaving, unlike on a plane.

That the trend has increased only makes it worse.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:23 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,576,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Obviously there's a great deal of disdain for "emotional support animals" on flights.

I take my dog (an adorable, elderly and well-behaved Sheltie) with me to church. Not only is she absolutely silent, but it's a comfort to both her and me to be together. Incredibly, a lone soul at the church complained about "that woman who sits in the back with a dog." And yet several congregants told me, "I didn't even know you had a dog with you until I saw you walk out the door!"

Why do you need your dog with you at church?

Old 12-12-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There is also generally a limit on how many pets are allowed in the cabin on any individual flight. Two seems to be pretty standard.

The thing is, a lot of people who claim to own ESAs appear to be doing so to get around these requirements. It is hard for me to imagine anyone (well, other than T-310 ) objecting to having a seeing eye dog or other trained service animal on a plane, but that's not what's being discussed here.

Part of my objection to this explosion of ESAs is that often, the owner is not acting in the best interest of the animal. I adore my pets. I would not subject them to air travel, in the cabin or otherwise, unless it was absolutely necessary. I have flown with animals twice. In both cases, it was because I was moving and could not have taken them along in any other way. The only alternative would have been trying to rehome them. They hated it, I hated it, and it's not an experience I want to repeat.

For Delta, it's two in first class, two in business elite and four in the main cabin.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:32 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,613,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
For Delta, it's two in first class, two in business elite and four in the main cabin.
Maybe it varies with the size and type of the plane. It seems like everywhere I checked, it was two, but that was also several years ago.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Maybe it varies with the size and type of the plane. It seems like everywhere I checked, it was two, but that was also several years ago.
It varies by airline. It's possible they increased it given the rise in faux support animals.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,200,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post

Yes.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:47 AM

I don't know that there is disdain for the animals as much as there is for the owners. It isn't the animals fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies