Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Obviously there's a great deal of disdain for "emotional support animals" on flights.

Is there equal disdain for ESAs out in the public, in general?

I take my dog (an adorable, elderly and well-behaved Sheltie) with me to church. Not only is she absolutely silent, but it's a comfort to both her and me to be together. Incredibly, a lone soul at the church complained about "that woman who sits in the back with a dog." And yet several congregants told me, "I didn't even know you had a dog with you until I saw you walk out the door!"

BTW, it requires a doctor's note (in Virginia) to have a dog become an ESA.
I think the disdain, regardless of location, is the result of people who have abused the system. I, for one, love animals, and enjoy seeing quiet, well-behaved ones in almost any setting. The problem is, many of these alleged "ESAs" are not well-behaved or silent. Some aren't even potty trained. It's not the fault of the animals, but it is the fault of selfish owners who don't care who they inconvenience, or how their actions reflect on people who are not abusing right to have a service animal.

To put it another way, I would be fine with you and your dog visiting my church. I would be less thrilled with a dog that barked incessantly, peed everywhere, or tried to bite the priest. I wouldn't be crazy about a visit from an emotional support peacock, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 09:59 AM

19,633 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
This is a capitalist opportunity here. Why doesn't an airline come out that caters to these people?
The Snowflake Zoo Express

Imagine a plane loaded with animals. Gross. You know the people with these animals want to be the special exceptions on the plane, one of a few. Just like people with crying babies who don't want to fly with a bunch of other crying babies on the plane.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:42 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If that equipment is so vital to their being able to fly, they should be willing to pay for that animal, right? Just like folks who travel with pets in carriers that stow under the seat.

I can guarantee that once emotional support animals get charged, their owners will manage to conquer their fear and terror while flying.

Emotional-comfort-animals should be viewed as a medical/psychological necessity, some people may
die without them, some people will suffer horrible discomfort.

Why all the vile and bile directed towards ECAs......whether is be a goat, mini-pony or eagle?????

Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Emotional-comfort-animals should be viewed as a medical/psychological necessity, some people may

Why all the vile and bile directed towards ECAs......whether is be a goat, mini-pony or eagle?????
Thank you, Mr. Poe.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:54 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Wal mart is going to ban animals , too. The only animals allowed in the stores will be service animals. Therapy animals will not be allowed .

Old 12-12-2018, 11:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Wal mart is going to ban animals , too. The only animals allowed in the stores will be service animals. Therapy animals will not be allowed .
It's disgusting to see animals in grocery stores and restaurants. I can overlook it for service animals.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

That's what service dogs are for.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:17 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:

Why should animals be viewed as medical/psychological necessities?
I'm assuming you can reference cases where people have died from not having their pet goat sitting next to them in public venues or at least research proving animals are medically necessary for what disorder exactly?

Old 12-12-2018, 11:18 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
I think a lot of these people are claiming "support animal" to avoid paying fees. I've been moved cross country/overseas to American territories a few times and flew on commercial airlines with my pets as part of the move.

Overseas all had to be in cargo and I think they were about $300-$400 each. Cross country the cat (because he was small) could fly in cabin, under the seat, in a cat carrier. I had one that looked like a common bag. Most people didn't even know there was a cat in it. That cost me $50-$100 I think.

This was all over 20 years ago and I am sure the prices are much higher now. Anyway, I think a lot of people don't need support, they are just moving or spending a lot of time away and are trying to avoid paying the airline (or a kennel) by saying "service animal" and taking a pet with them.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:26 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's disgusting to see animals in grocery stores and restaurants. I can overlook it for service animals.
And here's a woman whining that Walmart won't let her emotional support dogs (plural) sit in the carts anymore. Jesus, stay home if you can't cope.

https://walmart.pissedconsumer.com/n...211215862.html

By the way, the comments are priceless....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies