Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:46 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No you dont, that runs afoul of the ADA.
This is correct, but a service animal is very clearly different from an "emotional support animal". ESAs have no protection under the ADA. All one has to do is give some sob story to a licensed therapist, have the therapist write a letter, and wah-la, they are now allowed to claim their pets as "emotional support animals".

Wal-Mart is not allowed to ask for proof that the animal is a service animal, or what ailment or disability the service animal helps with, but someone walking in with their little dog in their arms is NOT bringing in a service animal. A service animal is not going to be carried like that. In that case, the store can absolutely tell the people not to bring in their emotional support animal.

And in cases of the animal being anything but a dog in a Wal-Mart, you can rest assured that is not a service animal, and the store has every right to tell them to take a hike.

It's like the idiot I was just talking about in the dog forum, walking around with his older puppy off leash, no collar, nothing at all. When I advised him about the rules of the complex and the law of the city, (because when I'm walking my boy on a leash, I don't want their unleashed, uncontrolled dog coming up to mine), he actually pulled a lie right from his backside and stated that his dog was "licensed to be off leash". That is how far these "emotional support animal" types are pushing and abusing the system. (Nevermind that the dog had zero recall when his dog tried to follow me home and wouldn't listen to his owner telling him to come back.)

It's very clear that his puppy is not a service animal. If he were to walk into Wal-Mart with his puppy and declare that his puppy was "licensed to be off leash", I think Wal-Mart would be perfectly safe with questioning that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 11:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is correct, but a service animal is very clearly different from an "emotional support animal". ESAs have no protection under the ADA. All one has to do is give some sob story to a licensed therapist, have the therapist write a letter, and wah-la, they are now allowed to claim their pets as "emotional support animals".

Wal-Mart is not allowed to ask for proof that the animal is a service animal, or what ailment or disability the service animal helps with, but someone walking in with their little dog in their arms is NOT bringing in a service animal. A service animal is not going to be carried like that. In that case, the store can absolutely tell the people not to bring in their emotional support animal.

And in cases of the animal being anything but a dog in a Wal-Mart, you can rest assured that is not a service animal, and the store has every right to tell them to take a hike.

It's like the idiot I was just talking about in the dog forum, walking around with his older puppy off leash, no collar, nothing at all. When I advised him about the rules of the complex and the law of the city, (because when I'm walking my boy on a leash, I don't want their unleashed, uncontrolled dog coming up to mine), he actually pulled a lie right from his backside and stated that his dog was "licensed to be off leash". That is how far these "emotional support animal" types are pushing and abusing the system. (Nevermind that the dog had zero recall when his dog tried to follow me home and wouldn't listen to his owner telling him to come back.)

It's very clear that his puppy is not a service animal. If he were to walk into Wal-Mart with his puppy and declare that his puppy was "licensed to be off leash", I think Wal-Mart would be perfectly safe with questioning that.
I think certain pet owners are the ones that need to be on a leash.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They were allowed but it wasn't very common. Now most flights seem to have animals on them. It is tough for those who have allergies considering the enclosed environment.
Take a freaking allergy pill. They are cheap and over the counter. There’s a lot of whining on both sides.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
smart move

Old 12-11-2018, 12:03 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Take a freaking allergy pill. They are cheap and over the counter. There’s a lot of whining on both sides.
Disgusting. Forcing people to take medication (which doesn't work for everyone and/or causes significant side effects) for others' entitlement convenience. This is bullying at best.

I do notice people will refuse give their overly stimulated children or pets medication to calm them during a flight though.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:41 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Niiiiiice........

https://community.aafa.org/blog/fami...eaction-to-dog

Quote:
According to various news reports, Allegiant Airlines removed 7-year-old Giovanni and his parents from a plane.

Medical personnel apparently told the family the boy should not stay on the plane after he developed hives and continued to itch, even after moving away from the dog. The family was not previously aware of the boy's allergy.
The father had stage-4 throat cancer and the family was returning from what they believed woukd be the father’s last visit with his family.

Quote:
But the trip from Bellingham back home to Phoenix was interrupted by Giovanni's allergic reaction.

"He began to get very itchy and he was scratching all over. He started to get hives, so we informed the flight attendant who informed us that there's dogs on every flight and just smirked, which minimized his experience for me," said Fabian.

The allergic reaction delayed take off, and soon the family was told they'd have to deboard.
https://www.thv11.com/article/news/h...rgies/54639625

While dogs aren’t noted for triggering anaphylactic reactions, allergies to them can still be very serious, especially for those who also have asthma. There was a teacher in Ohio who had to be moved schools when a student got a service dog.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
This will not stand, hopefully it will get shot down........going all the way up to SCOTUS if necessary.

Someone unnecessarily trembling in utter fear and terrifiedness on a flight, because they are without their needed equipment...........all because the hatehype has made emotional-comfort-animals all evil and grainy, SMH!!!!!

Old 12-11-2018, 03:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Disgusting. Forcing people to take medication (which doesn't work for everyone and/or causes significant side effects) for others' entitlement convenience. This is bullying at best.

I do notice people will refuse give their overly stimulated children or pets medication to calm them during a flight though.
Well, given that cats and dogs have always been allowed on planes, it would be a good idea if a person is allergic to them.

They will have no idea if one is on board or not, as they are shoved under the seat.

Also, they do not know when they will encounter one anywhere outside their home.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Couldn't people just bring on emotional support Teddy Bears? They're not alive but still furry and cuddly. Just wondering.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
It's hard to believe you actually think this is a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies