Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:19 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times

Advertisements

Despite what liberals would have us believe, the US is still by far the most desired nation for potential immigrants to aspire to, by a rather wide margin!

In addition, despite what liberals would have us believe, the US remains an extremely welcoming nation to immigrants. In fact, since 2012, the percentage of Americans who view immigration as a good thing has risen from 66% to 75%.

In conclusion, despite what liberals would have you believe, we don't suck!

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...dlines-suggest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
How can that be? I heard a speech all about American Carnage from our Dear Leader.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
How can that be? I heard a speech all about American Carnage from our Dear Leader.

Haven't you heard? According to the 'faithful', he blinked his eyes and the streets glittered with gold and milk & honey ran down them.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:31 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Despite what liberals would have us believe, the US is still by far the most desired nation for potential immigrants to aspire to, by a rather wide margin!

In addition, despite what liberals would have us believe, the US remains an extremely welcoming nation to immigrants. In fact, since 2012, the percentage of Americans who view immigration as a good thing has risen from 66% to 75%.

In conclusion, despite what liberals would have you believe, we don't suck!

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...dlines-suggest

And? Does that mean we shouldn't keep trying to improve it?

Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And? Does that mean we shouldn't keep trying to improve it?
Obviously it depends on what you mean by "improve".

Old 12-12-2018, 06:36 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
There does seem to be a mixed between America being the greatest country on Earth and needing to make it great again.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Read a bit of history.

The same has been true for 150+ years. Remember, the sidewalks were/are made of Gold. That's our story.

Unfortunately it wasn't true for many - from the indentured Irish and Scots-Irish to the slaves...to the Slavs and others who worked the mines.

I just finished a book about Italian immigrants. You'd be amazed at how many went back to Italy.
"Within five years, between 30 and 50 percent of this generation of immigrants would return home to Italy, where they were known as ritornati."

Think about that - in the age of no airplanes as many as 1/2 of the immigrants went back to poverty willingly.

These are the stories that are often not told...

BTW, is there anyone here who has not read The Jungle? If not, you MUST read it.

My Italian ancestors worked the mines in PA. They are buried in the churchyards there. I don't have a record of their lives (complete), but I'd bet there weren't sidewalks made of gold. In fact, the history of the area shows that they were shown off the Boat right to a train car which brought them to the mines of PA.

Once there, they were likely to have shortened lives...and, even be shot at (Latimer Massacre) by the authorities....or drowned like in Johnstown.

It wasn't roses. It took 2+ generations for them to get out of there and they were STILL poor when they made it to Reading, Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
There does seem to be a mixed between America being the greatest country on Earth and needing to make it great again.
I think the slogan was a mistake. It should have said "Make America Proud Again".

Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
In Europe, it's Australia these days. High standard (higher than the USA), good climate along the coasts, and a lot of elbow room. You also get health care, and don't need to worry about some nutter shooting your kids in school.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Wait a minute!

I thought Trump = Hitler, therefore USA = Nazis Germany

USA should not be a desirable place for immigrants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies