Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
We should have the same healthcare as congress.
You mean force someone else to pay for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 07:33 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Also known as "Let the poor die."
That's why they call them poor! Health care isn't the only thing missing from their lives. They can't afford a new Lexus either; but maybe that's the Left's next cause.
One must make decisions from a young age that will improve the odds of a prosperous and healthy life. If one has crappy parents, it's even harder.

Socialized medicine or socialized housing, or any other tax-funded giveaway makes reliance on others a way of life.
We've seen this for generations.

So your "let the poor die" silliness only shows your contempt for self-reliance and public charity.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Why not ask the sky is blue instead? How many other countries employing a universal, single payer system or a mixed model system of healthcare payment seem to have figured it out leaving the U.S. as the only outlier unable to provide a system?

More to the point why is it only the U.S. seemingly UNABLE to accommodate the costs of such a plan?

Even more succinctly crafted a question would be one that asks you: Why is it you think with all of those other systems in place to service the indigent you seem to believe you're not all ALREADY PAYING FOR THEM? Your taxation is already providing a plethora of services for those who do not avail themselves of insurance or fiscal responsibility.

It all comes out of your pocket regardless and until you make efforts to stymie the number of hands reaching into it and how much they're all taking as their cut, you'll continue paying waa…..aaay more for services rendered at a fraction of U.S. costs elsewhere.

"Socialized" countries, unlike the U.S., simply aren't pretending to do otherwise.
Right. France and Argentina are doing great!
You people must think we all just arrived here this morning!

Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Single payer Canadian model. Paid for by an income tax (paycheck deduction) that is less than US premiums +copays+ deductibles. Everyone is covered, and no hodgepodge of Medicaid/medicare/VA programs or insurance company middlemen driving up the costs.

Despite good US employer insurance, I'm $10,000 in the hole this year due to an unexpected and non-preventable hospital stay.

No snark- just curious how you went “ $10,000 in the hole this year” . The annual Out of Pocket Cap, including Deductible,is $7,350, this year.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
No one can afford their own healthcare - that's why we have insurance - and that insurance is not affordable for most families. Even with employer subsidized insurance - a family is still on the hook for the first $12,000 each year.
Thanks Obama.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
No one can afford their own healthcare - that's why we have insurance - and that insurance is not affordable for most families. Even with employer subsidized insurance - a family is still on the hook for the first $12,000 each year.
That certainly depends on the plan(s) offered by an employer and selected by the employee.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Take out the profit motive and the prices would drop instantly 30-50%.

And some of you fail to understand why somebody would want to lose BILLIONS each year in profits?

Every other 1st world nations does it... and the US can´t... because profits matter more then lives.
As a doc, should I be allowed to profit?

Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingojut76 View Post
On the verge of it..I am disabled...now if I find out that if I had cancer. Screw it..I am done...
You should be able to qualify for Medicaid and/or SS disability.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
oddly many never examine why and end up supporting solutions that will make us less healthy and most likely poorer.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
That's why they call them poor! Health care isn't the only thing missing from their lives. They can't afford a new Lexus either; but maybe that's the Left's next cause.
One must make decisions from a young age that will improve the odds of a prosperous and healthy life. If one has crappy parents, it's even harder.

Socialized medicine or socialized housing, or any other tax-funded giveaway makes reliance on others a way of life.
We've seen this for generations.

So your "let the poor die" silliness only shows your contempt for self-reliance and public charity.

Very good point. I don't want to pay for those that have made bad choices in life and really don't care. That being said, I do want to be charitable for those that are unable to provide for themselves.

I'm not really for single payer, but of all the ones that other countries use, the Canadian model seems to be the fairest for the middle class. They all require those that are successful to pay for those that aren't.

My wife and I are solidly in the lower middle class (above $100k, but below $200k) and using the Canadian tax models for income, sales and vat with our income. It comes out pretty close to what we have going out of pocket currently (we self insure) with it being slightly more in Canada, unless one of us has a major illness or requires a hospital stay. We have a $7500 deductible.

I don't see how Canada successfully funds this though, because even their highest tax rates are slightly less than our highest, and they have more unemployment with a smaller population paying into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies