Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Again, this assumes that these businesses aren't purging user deleted content after a certain amount of time. I mean I don't know that they do or don't for sure, but it seems like an awful big burden on resources to save every single post ever.

Deleted accounts for example:

https://www.lifewire.com/delete-twitter-account-4145375

I'd have to assume deleted Tweets might face a similar fate, these companies don't have infinite resources.

NSA captures them forever.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Character limit is 280, and there is plenty of multi media. Now factor in that they average 200 BILLION tweets per year, as I said before, they don't have unlimited resources, and they definitely delete all tweets from deleted accounts after 30 days.
You are underestimating all media tracking/ retaining all Tweets and other social media contributions and performances made by media celebrities, paid commentators and politicians. You don’t think Fox News can pull from its own archives every tweet made by CNN, on a moments notice and vice- versa?

Old 12-13-2018, 07:06 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
‘Splain why he’s deleting related tweets then.
None of anyone's business actually. Explain why you have deleted stuff from social media or posts from here.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
None of anyone's business actually. Explain why you have deleted stuff from social media or posts from here.
You can't delete posts from here once they've been here for any amount of time. Just like you can't delete tweets.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You are underestimating all media tracking/ retaining all Tweets and other social media contributions and performances made by media celebrities, paid commentators and politicians. You don’t think Fox News can pull from its own archives every tweet made by CNN, on a moments notice and vice- versa?
Again, the comment I was replying to was about them being on Twitters servers,and my point was that they likely dont save every. single. tweet. Especially user deleted ones. There are 3rd party services that exist to do what you describe for media agencies or anyone else who wants to pay for those services, but that was not what was being discussed.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
I was replying to the person who said they assumed they were saved at the server level. Thats way different than someone taking a screen shot. I'd be curious to know if only one person saved a screen shot, and the original post was deleted permanently, would the screen shot hold up in a legal setting?
As well as all of his on air outrage about the Cohen search warrants and championing for Cohen without disclosing his personal relationship, regardless of how limited it may or may not have been.

Obviously, neither Hannity or Trump were aware that Cohen, like most attorneys, kept detailed records of client interactions. That Cohen legally taped phone conversations with Trump and those tapes were discovered as a part of the search warrant was further evidence.

Makes one wonder how many of the Trump Org 500+ orporations were established for nothing more than to bury financial pay- offs for a variety of purposes.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:12 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
You can't delete posts from here once they've been here for any amount of time. Just like you can't delete tweets.
You can't delete Tweets? Then WTF is this thread about?

Old 12-13-2018, 07:15 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You can't delete Tweets? Then WTF is this thread about?
Symantics. You can't remove them from existence, although you can remove them from your twitter feed.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My calculations and estimates were based on the text, any normal person should be able to comprehend that so I'm not sure how you missed it. I'll say it again, the storage required for the text is peanuts and I didn't even account for compressing it.
I am not missing anything. You are acting as if a tweet is some raw ascii text that is being captured in note pad, and its far more complex than that. Tweets have tags, urls, hyper linked @ mentions, emojis, videos, gifs, hyperlinked hash tags, meta data, and who knows what other code behind those 140-280 characters that you see on the screen. Your calculation is basically like assuming that you can make chocolate chip cookies with one ingredient, and that ingredient is chocolate chip cookies.

Somehow your "calculations and estimates" told you that you can store every tweet ever using off the shelf consumer grade storage, meanwhile Twitter had to outsource to Google to store 300 PBs of data, if you dont' see how your calculation is WAY off I don't know what else to tell you.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Symantics. You can't remove them from existence, although you can remove them from your twitter feed.
I wouldn't be so sure, I've already posted a link where Twitter confirms that if you delete your account, the tweets are eventually deleted from their servers. While I havn't been able to find anything about individual tweets, I'd have to assume it might follow a similar process. Again this doesn't account for other services or people saving them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies