Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times

Advertisements

We had four tickets for the high school production of To Kill a Mockingbird for tomorrow night. I just got this email;

Dear Shorewood Parents and Guardians,

The Shorewood Drama production of To Kill a Mockingbird has been cancelled for all three nights of production (October 11,12, and 13). Due to concerns regarding potential protests related to the production, we’ve concluded that the safest option is to cancel the play. The District should have done more outreach to dialogue about the sensitivity of this performance with the Shorewood and greater Milwaukee community. Moving forward, the District will continue to encourage staff and students to engage in meaningful performances surrounding contemporary issues with the appropriate amount of outreach and dialogue.

I know it's a very strong story that we had prepared our children for (as best we could) but is it really something to protest? As much as I am appalled at the use of the N word I would be o.k. if the play either omitted the word or stayed as true to the book as possible because racism is really the crux of the story. I'm not sure if that was the issue or not. Perhaps in light of #Metoo they're concerned with the rape allegation?

I can't find any additional info so I have no idea what the protesters were concerned about. Or who the protesters were.

Any thoughts? Would you be offended at high schoolers performing this play?
Would you take your children to see it?

And before this turns into a "liberals ruin everything" rant, can we just stick to the merits of this story in particular?

Update: I found this on the drama department website;

To Kill a Mockingbird, which takes place in Alabama in the 1930’s, reflects a difficult and ugly time in American history. Thematic issues of racism and segregation are prevalent. To accurately and honestly complete the narrative, the “n-word” will be used in the production. The fact that our society still struggles to truly embrace racial equality symbolizes that our work is not yet done and that Harper Lee’s Mockingbird is as relevant in 2018 as it was in 1960, when the story was published. Our fidelity to the production of this play from the 1930’s does not condone the use of the “n-word,” in any context, for example in music lyrics, friendly banter, or discussions today.

So they were planning to use the N word.

Last edited by Vegabern; 10-11-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 02:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Sorry to read that it was canceled. I know the book has been banned many times before, and from what I recall, it's usually over the N-word. And I think parents/teachers can explain to high schoolers why that word is in the book but still is not an appropriate word to use to refer to a person.

It made ALA's most challenged books list last year, at #7: Top Ten Most Challenged Books Lists | Advocacy, Legislation & Issues

Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM

734 posts, read 351,929 times
No I wouldn't be offended and I think it would be OK for HS kids to see it or act in it, as long as they understand the ideas and themes presented.

I went to to a Christian school back when the Moral Majority wanted to ban Huck Finn. We read that book in my English class and watched Mockingbird, and talked about them. We also watched Psycho.

I don't get the protesting. Sorry it was canceled.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:15 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,448,507 times
"Liberals ruin everything"...

The merits of this story show that liberals ruin everything, even a play that for its time, was liberal. Just think, all those girls named 'Scout' will feel compelled to change their name, or face THE MOB.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:18 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
It is sad that people feel the need to ruin things like this do to potential violent protest. It is a form of tyranny, and censorship. The book, movie, and the play's message is one of non-prejudice due to race. I can't see anyone being upset with that message.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:21 PM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I wonder who was planning to protest, and why? Not that it matters - what matters is that a work of art, and a lot of hard work by a bunch of kids, has been negated.

I read the book in English class in 8th grade. We'd all heard the N word, but as I recall, very few of us knew what rape was. Both topics were well covered, and the discussion well moderated, by our teacher.

How can kids learn if this book and its messages are buried in the sand?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wonder who was planning to protest, and why? Not that it matters - what matters is that a work of art, and a lot of hard work by a bunch of kids, has been negated.

I read the book in English class in 8th grade. We'd all heard the N word, but as I recall, very few of us knew what rape was. Both topics were well covered, and the discussion well moderated, by our teacher.

How can kids learn if this book and its messages are buried in the sand?
That's what I would like to know.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:30 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
I used to vote 100% Democrat but will be voting straight ticket GOP this election. Today's Democrats are dangerous people who will stop at nothing to silence anyone or anything they disagree with. Reminds me of the sheep in Animal Farm who drowned out any dialog with screams of 'Four legs good two legs bad".

Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Well, there's always the "Banned in Boston" effect. When a theater in Georgia was pressured to stop running "Gone With The Wind", I just HAD to go and read the book for the first time. Great book. I learned a LOT! Now I guess I'll have to go read "To Kill A Mockingbird". Good deal, as I was just wondering what to read next.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I used to vote 100% Democrat but will be voting straight ticket GOP this election. Today's Democrats are dangerous people who will stop at nothing to silence anyone or anything they disagree with. Reminds me of the sheep in Animal Farm who drowned out any dialog with screams of 'Four legs good two legs bad".
Run along now. I'm sure you're well aware that Shorewood is the most liberal area in the Milwaukee metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies