Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:41 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
It seems that the immigrant caravan was only a media circus until the midterm elections. What happened?
Another example of the media exploiting something for their own purposes (and an example of their anti-Trump agenda)
The spectacle all blew up when those racist people of Tijuana turned the invaders back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 09:58 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammothLove View Post
tRump exploited the immigrant caravan and as soon as mid-terms were done, he shut up about it.

This crap again?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
It seems that the immigrant caravan was only a media circus until the midterm elections. What happened?
Another example of the media exploiting something for their own purposes (and an example of their anti-Trump agenda)
Yep. FOX (and Trump) stopped talking about it the day after the election. It was all fear mongering to rile up the gullible Republicans.

Other outlets still talk about it , like the story about the dead 7 yr old girl.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Mid-terms are over. Trump and Fox thought non-stop focus on the 'caravan' would help Republicans in the mid terms. It didn't.

Hence, they have stopped yammering about it non-stop.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Mid-terms are over. Trump and Fox thought non-stop focus on the 'caravan' would help Republicans in the mid terms. It didn't.

You mean Acosta stopped yammering about it after Trump made him look stupid and he touched that intern?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:17 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Once the election was over, the "useful idiots" in the caravan no longer had a purpose. The left-wing groups funding them dropped them.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Once the election was over, the "useful idiots" in the caravan no longer had a purpose. The left-wing groups funding them dropped them.

And the small detail that the Mayor of TJ said he was going to start arresting the leftist organizers from the USA. They got the hell out of there.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:28 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Utter nonsense that was never true! Since all the caravan is doing is sitting in Tijuana what's there to report or focus on? It was reported a couple of weeks ago the BP had to use tear gas on those who tried to crash our border so WTH are you talking about?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:24 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Utter nonsense that was never true! Since all the caravan is doing is sitting in Tijuana what's there to report or focus on? It was reported a couple of weeks ago the BP had to use tear gas on those who tried to crash our border so WTH are you talking about?
Cannot rep you again but exactly. Also they have been in the news, one group of illegals demanded our government to give them $50,000 within 72 hours to return home. In addition to that I read many are sneaking in at other places along our border. Some still waiting in Mexico

Old 12-15-2018, 02:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Trump utilized through the media the caravan in order to grow his base. We only knew about the Caravan (dog bites man it isn't news, man bites dog that's news) because of Trump. In the end it had the opposite effect. Because he went to the extreme with it and shot himself in the foot.
Trump hurts Trump ... propaganda did not do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
But regardless, my point still stands. Democracy is controlled by propaganda. Always has been, always will be. And no sane person should believe otherwise.

The argument of course is that democracy needs a "free press". Which is an admission that if the government, or some other faction, was in complete control of the press, they would have complete control of the people.
So you do not believe that a person with a set of morals and ethics could look at a person and/or a situation and with a rational mind of their own, say, I agree or I do not agree. (personality test for a job)

When I was growing up my parents, when I did something; behaved in a way that they thought was not of good moral conduct, would say to me "you were influenced by so-and-so." (trust I have thought on this long time now) Basically what they were saying ... "you're too stupid to act like that on your own, some one is influencing you." Whether or not that is what they were telling me or not, that is how I took it.

I on the other hand, I believe that people, are capable through no influence of any kind from any outside source, can look at a person and/or a situation and say ... I agree or I do not agree. Maybe I have too much faith in people. I have been told that before.

So maybe you're right ... may be we are not in complete control of our mental facilities in which to determine right from wrong, based on our own internal set of morals. If that is the case, then we do not control our own destinies in this life. The media will influence the outcome ...
Why Border Enforcement Backfired
Quote:
Human social cognition characteristically operates to classify people and groups on the basis of their perceived warmth and competence (Fiske et al. 2002; Fiske 2003). Ingroup members and others like them are viewed as both warm (approachable and well-intended) and competent (capable and effective), triggering positive emotions such as pride and esteem. Outgroups fall into three categories associated with different combinations of warmth and competence. Envied outgroups are perceived as competent but not warm (e.g. the rich and certain middleman minorities); pitied outgroups are seen as warm but incompetent (e.g. the elderly, the disabled); and despised outgroups are viewed as neither warm nor competent and are viewed with disdain and disgust (e.g. drug dealers, the homeless).

The location of any particular group in the social space defined by warmth and competence is not given but manufactured through psychological and social mechanisms. Psychologically, a group’s location is determined through cognitive processes of framing (Kahneman and Tversky 2000) and socially through mechanisms of boundary definition and reification (Lamont and Molnar 2002; Wimmer 2008). The rise of illegal migration created a golden opportunity for self-interested actors to engage in the systematic framing of illegal migrants as criminals, portraying them as neither warm nor competent and thus distinguished from mainstream Americans by a well-defined social boundary. The success of their efforts is indicated by research showing that illegal migrants, Mexicans, and Latinos general have now come to occupy the low-warmth/low-competence quadrant of disgust in American social cognition (Lee and Fiske 2006). Groups in this location are subject to systematic dehumanization and viewed with contempt and fear (Harris and Fiske 2006).
Crack ads and propaganda for the win.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-15-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies