Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 05:43 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I agree that we need to better secure the boarder, but walls are a medieval solution to a 21st century problem. I think it's a simplistic idea politicians throw out to people who just don't know how ineffective they are. We have walls on parts of the boarder now and people just go over, under and even though them. It takes less than 2 minutes to do it too.

And look at history. A wall didn't work for the Chinese. A wall didn't work for the Roman Empire. A wall didn't work for East Germany. What country *has* a wall worked for?

I think a better solution would be first, to fix the visa program (since most illegals are here on expired visas). As for the boarder itself, I think the "wall money" would be better spend getting more boots on the ground (boarder control agents) and improving technology at the boarder.

What I want Trump to promote building is American infrastructure: Airports, roads, etc. Somehow, this got forgotten and was something I really supported when he campaigned. The wall, that's just political talk.
Wrong. The various civilizations behind the wall suffered from other problems which caused their weakening sothat the walls were not maintained or became socially or politically ineffective. However, for the intended purpose of separating people from each other for a period measured in the lifetimes of their builders and immediate descendants, it worked quite nicely.

The wall worked quite well for the Chinese, it kept the tactically superior Mongolians and other Chinese out. It was expanded multiple times, so a bit of confirmation that it worked enough to invest in its expansion.

Rome's Hadrian's wall also worked well. Trade went through, the Celtic forces stayed north of the line and to this day demarcates the difference between the south and north of the British Isle.

Rome's Limus Germanicus line also worked well. The Germans were kept out and to this day Germans do not see themselves as having gained from classical Roman influence - contrast with France or Britain or even Belgium.

The East German border cynically was built to prevent the brain drain of the educated and those that thought they would fare better in the West that was happening in the 1950's and 1960's. Few made it across. Collapse of East Germany was the result of the general failure of communism; it did not specifically relate to the wall.

More technology and more troops are simply reactive. The wall is proactive. More proactive would be fining Mexico for every illegal that attempts to cross the US-Mexico border outside the border station. Assess the fine as a duty on imported products on a first come, first fined bases. Caught X number illegals two days ago, assess $X on each import shipment coming in starting at midnight until the fine is paid off. The uncertainty of whether your shipment suddenly is liable for a large payment (via a customs broker) will put pressure on Mexico to act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 05:44 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
It's not hypocritical. Democrats and sane people are against building a wall along the entire border which is what trump is proposing. ....
Incorrect.

Trump has not proposed that. He clearly stated many times there are places where the border has natural barriers.

And the Democrats never said what you claim they have said. That's opinion given as fact. Hillary was quite clear about it. Go watch her video in the OP.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:23 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hillary says we need the border wall to keep out the illegal aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=AlFi0QUboxs
Funny how Obama, Biden, Hillary and the lot all called for a wall in the past and it wasn't racist, yet it is now that Trump has called for it!

Also funny how Obama, Bill and Hillary all said they didn't support gay marriage, yet Trump said he did. Yet, somehow Trump is anti-gay!

This must be liberal logic!

Old 12-15-2018, 06:32 PM

672 posts, read 256,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
More proactive would be fining Mexico for every illegal that attempts to cross the US-Mexico border outside the border station. Assess the fine as a duty on imported products on a first come, first fined bases. Caught X number illegals two days ago, assess $X on each import shipment coming in starting at midnight until the fine is paid off. The uncertainty of whether your shipment suddenly is liable for a large payment (via a customs broker) will put pressure on Mexico to act.
Just put in e-verify and that ends it. But that doesn't give the Republicans a boogeyman they can haul out come election time.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Incorrect.

Trump has not proposed that. He clearly stated many times there are places where the border has natural barriers.

And the Democrats never said what you claim they have said. That's opinion given as fact. Hillary was quite clear about it. Go watch her video in the OP.
I have no flippin idea what your argument here it exactly. trump wants a big wall, Hillary (who is not even in the government any longer FYI) supported a wall in some sections and supported border security in the past when she had power - nobody is arguing against that statement. What is going on here???

Old 12-15-2018, 07:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
Just put in e-verify and that ends it. But that doesn't give the Republicans a boogeyman they can haul out come election time.

I'm fully in favor of eVerify but I don't trust legislative solutions will endure a Democratic cycle of power. Nor do I trust that Ninth Circus wouldn't declare it unconstitutional.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:41 PM

672 posts, read 256,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm fully in favor of eVerify but I don't trust legislative solutions will endure a Democratic cycle of power. Nor do I trust that Ninth Circus wouldn't declare it unconstitutional.
LOL...and we're right back to the second sentence of my post. Republicans DON'T WANT TO FIX IMMIGRATION! They just want a boogeyman to throw out to their uninformed and increasingly racist base.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, when you go on TV and tell your county that if you are illegal and ICE knocks on your door, you don't have to answer it...it's hard to find people....

And YES National security...

17 illegal criminals a day, YES A DAY, were caught at our borders in FY18....and those are the ones that were caught...
Source, please. I googled that a couple of ways, and I can't find any statistics that are anything like that from ICE, Customs and Border PRotection, or any other government reporting entity or media organization.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 AM

46,306 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Source, please. I googled that a couple of ways, and I can't find any statistics that are anything like that from ICE, Customs and Border PRotection, or any other government reporting entity or media organization.

Sure, and it keeps getting harder to find...I have them bookmarked.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/c...ien-statistics

Quote:
The term “criminal alien” refers to aliens who have been convicted of one or more crimes, whether in the United States or abroad, prior to interdiction by the U.S. Border Patrol; it does not include convictions for conduct that is not deemed criminal by the United States. Arrests of criminal aliens are a subset of total apprehensions by U.S. Border Patrol.

6259/365 = just over 17 per day are caught daily.....and who knows how many are not caught.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post

No, e-verify alone won't end it because criminals and terrorists aren't looking for jobs and there still is the incentive of birthright citizenship and benefits for their kids to encourage them to come here. Boogeyman? WTH are you even talking about? The election is over and Trump still wants the wall to secure the border and to end illegal immigration as we know it. Stop making up BS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies