Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people assume you are or are not a Trump supporter?
Trump supporter: People correctly assume I am 10 13.51%
Trump supporter: People wrongly assume I am not 7 9.46%
Anti-Trump: People correctly assume I am 22 29.73%
Anti-Trump: People wrongly assume I am not 2 2.70%
People make no assumptions about me 33 44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 06:09 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,639,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Probably, no one would assume I'm a republican or a trump supporter because I live in a very liberal city. I am a republican and did vote for Trump.

do you stereotype people, cali? How do you feel when people stereotype you, for being a black woman?
Austin is the Capitol of a very right wing state. Tell me another good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 06:23 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,261,108 times
Since I’m a white guy in the South, most people assume I’m a Trump supporter, but I think people who know I’m gay are sometimes unsure. I try not to discuss politics.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,250,896 times
Quote:
Probably, no one would assume I'm a republican or a trump supporter because I live in a very liberal city. I am a republican and did vote for Trump.

do you stereotype people, cali? How do you feel when people stereotype you for being a black woman?
Sincere thanks for sharing your opinion and experiences.

I try not to stereotype, but I think sometimes it’s human nature...and not all stereotypes are negative, and some are based on truths.

How do I feel about it when it’s done to me....? Hmm...if someone negatively stereotypes me, that would be hurtful. I’d hate it. If they stereotype me as, for example, anti-Trump (because many black women are), I get it. It doesn’t bother me.

ETA: I think it’s a very individual thing, though. I have a conservative black female friend (anti-Trump, though). People generally assume she’s liberal—stereotyping, for sure. That would bother her; whereas, it would not bother me to be presumed liberal. One standard doesn’t apply to everyone... ironically?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,396,360 times
The vast majority of people out there don't care who others support for President.

It's only the Trump Deranged who are incensed about it and call 10s of millions of their fellow American's cultists. Fortunately these people are few and far between.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:42 PM

19,706 posts, read 11,961,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Trump received 27.4% of the votes in Travis County. Why would you imply she is lying?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:50 PM

15,577 posts, read 10,290,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
How do I feel about it when it’s done to me....? Hmm...if someone negatively stereotypes me, that would be hurtful. I’d hate it. If they stereotype me as, for example, anti-Trump (because many black women are), I get it. It doesn’t bother me.
You are one of the biggest stereotype perpetuators on this board, if memory serves, yet stereotyping doesn't bother you if the assumptions are not "hurtful" to you. but, if stereotyping of others is negative, that is fine with you because it isn't hurtful to you. got it.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-15-2018 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 06:55 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,250,896 times
Quote:
You are one of the biggest stereotype perpetuators on this board, if memory serves, yet stereotyping doesn't bother you if the assumptions are not "hurtful". but, if stereotypes are negative, that would be hurtful. got it.
Yes. Is that difficult to understand?

Women being caregivers, black people having rhythm, etc... generally considered not negative stereotypes.

I try not to stereotype, but I do it, absolutely. (I’m pretty sure I said that in the post you quoted.)

Old 12-15-2018, 07:11 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,347,409 times
This gay, interracial, legal immigrant couple support Trump and of course people assume we are raging liberals because of who we are. Liberals, being the bigots they are, are usually surprised and often cut us out when they discover we aren't lib drones.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,639,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Trump received 27.4% of the votes in Travis County. Why would you imply she is lying?
Trump bashed the Bush family on his way up.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:29 PM

19,706 posts, read 11,961,506 times
Quote:
Quote:
Trump bashed the Bush family on his way up.
What does that have to do with the top post, to which I had been responding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies