Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people assume you are or are not a Trump supporter?
Trump supporter: People correctly assume I am 10 13.51%
Trump supporter: People wrongly assume I am not 7 9.46%
Anti-Trump: People correctly assume I am 22 29.73%
Anti-Trump: People wrongly assume I am not 2 2.70%
People make no assumptions about me 33 44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 02:29 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times

Advertisements

I travel internationally a lot, and I’ve found that 100% of the time, people assume (correctly, of course) that I am not a Trump supporter. When others find out I am American, they usually give me some sort of Trump-disparaging comment...which I usually agree with. This happens frequently. Even locally, people usually feel comfortable enough around me to say things that indicate they are anti-Trump. Frankly, I appreciate whatever they see in me. It does make me wonder, though...

I’m a black woman, so maybe that’s why they make this assumption (again, correctly).

My query is this: I’m wondering if such assumptions happen to others. If so, what is it about you that makes people feel comfortable enough to make such assumptions (that you are pro-Trump or anti-Trump)?

I mean, if they’re wrong, that would create an awkward situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 03:02 PM

251 posts, read 148,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I travel internationally a lot, and I’ve found that 100% of the time, people assume (correctly, of course) that I am not a Trump supporter. When others find out I am American, they usually give me some sort of Trump-disparaging comment...which I usually agree with. This happens frequently. Even locally, people usually feel comfortable enough around me to say things that indicate they are anti-Trump. Frankly, I appreciate whatever they see in me. It does make me wonder, though...

I’m a black woman, so maybe that’s why they make this assumption (again, correctly).

My query is this: I’m wondering if such assumptions happen to others. If so, what is it about you that makes people feel comfortable enough to make such assumptions (that you are pro-Trump or anti-Trump)?

I mean, if they’re wrong, that would create an awkward situation.
My experience mirrors yours exactly.

I travel internationally a lot as well, and sometimes, locals are cautious and first ask my opinions on Trump (before making any presumptions). When I answer, they absolutely feel free to go IN, ranging from sympathy, insults against his supporters and their stupidity, to sheer disgust. To this day, I haven’t met a single foreigner overseas who likes or respects the guy. Not one.

Interestingly, however, was a discussion at work with an older, affluent, liberal white coworker, who—to my surprise—confessed she always assumed I voted for Trump (I never remotely gave her any indication either way, or so I thought). When pressed for answers for why she assumed such ridiculousness, it basically boiled down to some pure silliness: me reminding her of Carlton Banks from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and the way I “sounded” as well as the music I like. I just seemed like a conservative republican black guy to her.

I’m still dismayed, but forgave her for her ignorance and that bizarre insult.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflyguy View Post
My experience mirrors yours exactly.

I travel internationally a lot as well, and sometimes, locals are cautious and first ask my opinions on Trump (before making any presumptions). When I answer, they absolutely go IN, ranging from sympathy, insults against his supporters and their stupidity, to sheer disgust.

Interestingly, however, was a discussion at work with an older, affluent, liberal white coworker, who—to my surprise—confessed she always assumed I voted for Trump (I never remotely gave her any indication either way, or so I thought). When pressed for answers for why she assumed such ridiculousness, it basically boiled down to some pure silliness: me reminding her of Carlton Banks from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and the way I “sounded” as well as the music I like. I just seemed like a conservative republican black guy to her.

I’m still dismayed, but forgave her for her ignorance and that bizarre insult.
Oh, wow!! How insanely ignorant! Never have I been thought to be a Trump supporter, and I am grateful.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I’m curious if these assumptions (one way or the other) happen frequently to non-blacks.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:24 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
I am a white woman and IRL people don't generally make assumptions about me either way. I don't wear my politics on my sleeve, but I'm not shy about bringing up my concerns about climate change which is all too real. I have one acquaintance who flips out over any mention of this, so I don't bring it up around him anymore - I like to get along with my neighbors. Other than that, I'm very low key and mostly run under the radar.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Who talks politics with strangers?

I don't even initiate conversation with people. Why would I?

Old 12-14-2018, 03:46 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I am against Trump, been against Trump from day one. I also try not to talk about politics in public. However, I'm learning that some people might assume that I don't support Trump. Sometimes I have run into individuals who try to convince me to vote Republican without really knowing who I support.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:46 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
I'm not sure what people assume about me, but I suspect strangers may assume I am a Trump supporter, mostly because this is a very conservative town. I know I am always pleasantly surprised when I learn that a new acquaintance is also a liberal. It's kind of like finding someone from one's hometown in a strange place. I recall an incident shortly after the 2016 election, when a cashier at a store I patronize was gloating to another customer about Trump's big win. The other customer loved it. She did this right in front of me, so either she thought I would be sympathetic or simply didn't care.

I hate it that anyone might be basing their assumptions on my voting habits on my race, but I suspect that some do. White liberals here are either a trace element or very, very quiet.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who talks politics with strangers?

I don't even initiate conversation with people. Why would I?
It happens all the time, especially in our current political season. Get out more.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I've been telling people how much I could not stand that jackass for decades, if he came up in conversation. Nobody is surprised that I don't like him.

Also, pretty much anyone who doesn't put up with racists, idiots, or bullies is unsurprised that I would not like him.

It's kind of a given, really.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm not sure what people assume about me, but I suspect strangers may assume I am a Trump supporter, mostly because this is a very conservative town. I know I am always pleasantly surprised when I learn that a new acquaintance is also a liberal. It's kind of like finding someone from one's hometown in a strange place. I recall one incident shortly after the 2016 election, when a cashier at a store I patronize was gloating to another customer about Trump's big win. The other customer loved it. She did this right in front of me, so either she thought I would be sympathetic or simply didn't care.

I hate it that anyone might be basing their assumptions on my voting habits on my race, but I suspect that some do. White liberals here are either a trace element or very, very quiet.
So interesting! Thanks for sharing. I am super curious about the white liberal experience. Around me, people are so free with their anti-Trump opinions...and I think it’s because I’m black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies