Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you opposed to getting a flu shot?
Yes 94 38.06%
No 153 61.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There is that funny meme about how if the CDC says the lettuce is deadly, everyone throws it out. But if they recommend a flu shot, they're part of some global conspiracy.
The answer is that situations where people got sick from eating Romaine are well-known and document. Prevented flu cases are like the dog that didn't bark, or the tree falling in the forest that no one hears falling. I personally have not gotten a shot and am unlikely to get one but I don't believe it's a "big pharma" conspiracy. I lean towards the view that it's doctors covering their behinds. If the patient gets sick the doctor wants the file to note "recommended flu vaccine."

I am 61 years old and rather healthy. My wife is 58, and my sons are 22 and 21. All rarely get sick. I do not believe that any of us are candidates for a shot, but my wife may, if I know her, get one anyway.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:17 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

America is no different to the rest of the world.

There is an international flu vaccination comparison chart on this website.

Adult flu vaccination coverage | The Nuffield Trust

CDC: Flu vaccination rates improved, still too low | AAP News | AAP Gateway

The rate last year was 39% of adults, presumably under 65, who got their flu shots. That low percentage was blamed on the 80,000 (?) deaths last year. That means 61% DID NOT get flu vaccinations last year; not the 60% yes and 40% no being quoted on this thread. Your article talks about Senior rates which in the US is similar in the high 60% range (highest of all age groups) with approxmiately 30% of the elderly not getting their flu shots either.

The goal for flu vaccinations by Healthy People 2020 is 80% vaccination by under 65's and 90% by over 65's. Not even close in either group only a year away.

That is going to terrify a lot of people on here.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:20 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Measles is rampant here in Sarasota now due to lack of vax.

Glad to hear you "know" or "don't know" things that even George Washington accepted as fact (he immunized his troops for smallpox)...

You probably "feel it in your bones" that a Flu shot is bad.

Flu shots, BTW, are close to free and NOT a money-maker for Big Pharma. They were developed largely by private foundations that didn't want people to suffer and die (Rockefeller foundation, Johns Hopkins and others).

Look around....this mysterious polio-like disease killing children, flu killing many.

80,000 flu deaths last year.
"Last year, 80 percent of pediatric deaths occurred in children who were unvaccinated, according to the CDC."

I wouldn't brag about affecting the herd. Maybe you will pass on Flu to a kid or elder who then succumbs. Not smart.
It's really not worth your time and effort. This is a losing battle, you're not going to win anyone over in a forum. And anything you send them will be discounted in their mind by some random source on the internet.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The flu vaccine is a dead vaccine, so you were already going to get the flu.
Not worth explaining it... I've generally find anti-vax mind are made up.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
back in 1976 they also used a live virus vaccine.

point of fact, before i got the flu shot i never got the flu. and ever since i got the flu, i have refused vaccines, and never again got the flu. so you tell me, is ti just coincidence? i dont think so my friend.
Surely this "scientific test" proves the invalidity of vaccines.....

Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
My sister usually get the flu shots. I agree to getting flu shots, maybe for the elderly. But I have not gotten sick in the last 15 years, not even 10, now that I think about it. My husband and I wash our hands after we play badminton, all those high fives you do with other people can be detrimental to your health. He is nearly 70, not elderly enough. Maybe when we get to our 80s, where our immune system is not as strong. But I got sick a lot in my early 20s, 30s, 40s, and maybe my immune system is getting stronger because of that.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The answer is that situations where people got sick from eating Romaine are well-known and document. Prevented flu cases are like the dog that didn't bark, or the tree falling in the forest that no one hears falling. I personally have not gotten a shot and am unlikely to get one but I don't believe it's a "big pharma" conspiracy. I lean towards the view that it's doctors covering their behinds. If the patient gets sick the doctor wants the file to note "recommended flu vaccine."

I am 61 years old and rather healthy. My wife is 58, and my sons are 22 and 21. All rarely get sick. I do not believe that any of us are candidates for a shot, but my wife may, if I know her, get one anyway.
Prevention is definitely a harder "sell" than cure, although not eating romaine is still in the prevention line. For some reason, E. coli infection is more feared than flu, whereas it should be just the opposite. Way more people die of flu than E. coli. I cannot imagine why you think your family members are not "candidates" for flu shots. The CDC recommends them for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My sister usually get the flu shots. I agree to getting flu shots, maybe for the elderly. But I have not gotten sick in the last 15 years, not even 10, now that I think about it. My husband and I wash our hands after we play badminton, all those high fives you do with other people can be detrimental to your health. He is nearly 70, not elderly enough. Maybe when we get to our 80s, where our immune system is not as strong. But I got sick a lot in my early 20s, 30s, 40s, and maybe my immune system is getting stronger because of that.
1. Not just "maybe" for the elderly.

2. Good for you, washing your hands after badminton. But you have to quit breathing to avoid being exposed to the flu. Touch is a very secondary source of infection.

3. You may have some immunity to some strains if you've had flu in the past. That doesn't mean you are immune to every strain.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
So nearly 60 percent took the Flu Vaccine?

It's a personal choice, but usually getting a vaccine that could potentially save your life
would have to be a good thing, not a bad one, unless you prone to all sorts of conspiracy theory that
make you think it's not.
That being said I haven't gotten mine yet. And I just got over the Flu which makes me wish I would have gotten mine earlier. I see the Dr. in 2 weeks for my six month checkup, I plan to get one then.
Or go to the nearest pharmacy that offers them and get it now. The flu season is going to be ramping up soon. It takes two weeks to develop full immunity after the shot.
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2018/...get-worse.html

Old 12-16-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
First off, good, from what I've read Thirmosal shouldn't be in vaccines. I can't believe it took so long!

Second, as smart as you claim to be, you really missed the point but I'm not surprised because you aren't listening. People don't trust our healthcare system. Doctors practice for profit. They get kickbacks for prescribing medicine. If people were as stupid as you assume they are they would not question doctors motives and would blindly take what's handed to them but they aren't. Since you are a nurse pushing vaccines I'm not at all surprised this irritates you and makes your job harder but it's your own professions fault for ignoring their principles for extra money.
[/b]
The topic of autism and vaccines has been brought back up, due to a recent study. Surprise, that's how science rolls. I'm sure there is a reason they are taking Thirmasol out of vaccines.

Opioids, and NSAIDS, along with other disturbing medical blunders does play a roll in why people don't trust the advice of doctors and nurses anymore in this country. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/o...corrupted.html
Not to mention the pay for play that goes on with doctors, pharma and insurance companies. If only people were stupid but sadly they're not. Therefore, trust is lost, this is not a mystery.

"financial forces largely hidden from the public are beginning to corrupt care and undermine the bond of trust between doctors and patients. Insurers, hospital networks, and regulatory groups have put in place both rewards and punishments that can powerfully influence your doctor’s decisions."

Lastly, yes, those who you've listed get the flu shot because it's mandated for most in those professions. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/mand...ion/index.html
Well, what a gish-gallop! I'll take half now, the first 6 paragraphs.

Thimerosal was removed from childhood vaccines in 2001. That was 17 years ago. It was removed despite any evidence that it was harmful, as "an abundance of caution" if you will. It didn't do anything to convince the antivaxers. They just started fixating on other substances in vaccines.

Frankly, I do not recall claiming to be so smart. I do have a lot of education and experience in vaccines. Doctors do not get kickbacks for prescribing, and in fact, it is illegal for them to do so.
https://oig.hhs.gov/compliance/physi...ion/01laws.asp
Nor have I assumed people are stupid.
Are you accusing nurses of getting kickbacks as well? You've really gone off the rails.

What's your citation for this new evidence about autism and vaccines?
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchens%27s_razor

Again, not the topic of this thread.

There are no mandatory laws for flu shots. Some employers may have an employee mandate, but obviously, if a large number are not complying, it's not exactly "mandatory".

Note that all comments in purple are personal attacks, something I thought was against the TOS. I thought "off topic" was also a reason to get a post deleted.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
I never got one, and nor do I get sick. I have taken 2 sick days in the past 20 years, and that was when I got the noro-virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies