Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 10:18 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Perfect, so I guess it's fine for kids to have lays potato chips and soda for dinner, after all that's only 1/3 of the meals they consume in a day
The original rules of nutrition still apply.
Look at your local school menu. If that what they are serving, then you live in a poorer area than I do, because my menu looks like this:
https://www.schoolnutritionandfitnes...Nutrients=true

If you have to exaggerate to make your point, you probably don't have much of a point.
As an aside, I should point out that 180 meals is not 1/3rd of 1095. There may be something other than nutrition failing at your school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The original rules of nutrition still apply.
Look at your local school menu. If that what they are serving, then you live in a poorer area than I do, because my menu looks like this:
https://www.schoolnutritionandfitnes...Nutrients=true

If you have to exaggerate to make your point, you probably don't have much of a point.
Kinda like how you wrongly suggested that these kids always have three meals a day, even outside of school?

That kind of exaggeration?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:28 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm a school cafeteria cook. The school lunch guidelines have been tricky to maneuver...we've had to make a LOT of changes...but we still serve homemade dinner rolls every week. Whole grain flour, of course. We also make our own sandwich buns out of same. We serve school made stromboli, school made burritos, country fried steak, pasta bar, and school made pizza. We also have a salad bar with all the fixings. This is available with all lunch entrees, unlimited. Gone are the hot dog bar, taco bar, slushy machine, and nachos bar. We still sell pizza, cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, and french fries ala carte (cash only). The fries are now baked, we had to get rid of our deep fryer.

With all the food options, there is no reason for any of the kids to go hungry. We still have low fat chocolate milk in addition to the fat free and 1 percent...we got rid of the strawberry milk (not due to dietary guidelines, it just wasn't popular with the students).

Sadly, the kids (and teachers) do miss our school made-from-scratch cookies. We had to substitute them with a frozen ready to bake brand that meets the dietary guidelines. They aren't nearly as good!
It's good to hear from someone who actually is part of the process of providing school lunches. My grandson's elementary school is served by a regional district kitchen and they serve pretty much what you are describing. The school has a salad and vegetable bar and my grandson enjoys both (but he also eats large amounts of both at home). The worst school lunches I've ever seen were those served in a Reno elementary school that my granddaughter attended. The food was prepared by Aramark pre-packaged in little TV dinner trays. It was gross, unattractive and disgusting and cost more than the school lunches my grandson eats in California (Aramark is the same company that jails and prisons contract with to provide inmate food and I swear the stuff she was served looked just as bad as the Aramark jail chow)

Old 12-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I could live off from potato chips, chocolate milk, and McDonalds, and assuming I was getting sufficient exercise during my waking hours and getting a full eight hours of sleep each night, I wouldn't gain a pound. It's all about activity and calorie count, NOT carrot sticks.
And you aren't 6 years old. A child living off a diet like that will be on the road to obesity and will more than likely have nutrient deficiencies.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
It's good to hear from someone who actually is part of the process of providing school lunches. My grandson's elementary school is served by a regional district kitchen and they serve pretty much what you are describing. The school has a salad and vegetable bar and my grandson enjoys both (but he also eats large amounts of both at home). The worst school lunches I've ever seen were those served in a Reno elementary school that my granddaughter attended. The food was prepared by Aramark pre-packaged in little TV dinner trays. It was gross, unattractive and disgusting and cost more than the school lunches my grandson eats in California (Aramark is the same company that jails and prisons contract with to provide inmate food and I swear the stuff she was served looked just as bad as the Aramark jail chow)
Remember when Jamie Oliver went to WV to try and cook real food for schools? It's been a while but everything was frozen or packaged (not sure if the school had a contract with Aramark or what) but the cafateria mainly just heated up frozen food.

Ketchup counted as a vegetable serving, etc.

When my son was in elementary school - parents could come every so often and have lunch with their kids. I did it once (they had greasy corn dogs and greasy fries) and that's when I started packing my kid's lunch until that was no longer cool.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Remember when Jamie Oliver went to WV to try and cook real food for schools? It's been a while but everything was frozen or packaged (not sure if the school had a contract with Aramark or what) but the cafateria mainly just heated up frozen food.

When my son was in elementary school - parents could come every so often and have lunch with their kids. I did it once (they had greasy corn dogs and greasy fries) and that's when I started packing my kid's lunch until that was no longer cool.
I sure do remember and on another occasion Jamie Oliver delivered 57 tons of sand to the Los Angeles City school district to illustrate how much sugar was consumed in LA schools every year from kids drinking sweetened flavored milk

Old 12-15-2018, 10:46 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
I sure do remember and on another occasion Jamie Oliver delivered 57 tons of sand to the Los Angeles City school district to illustrate how much sugar was consumed in LA schools every year from kids drinking sweetened flavored milk

More sugar and salt is a at odds with policies in the rest of the western world.

The Trump administration against healthy eating - The Economist

Kids across the US are eating fewer whole grains and more sugary milk in school lunches. See how federal rules have changed for the worse - Business Insider

Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We have an obesity problem in our country with adults and kids. This causes our healthcare rates to increase. Sorry, we shouldn’t cater to what kids want to eat in schools. If they don’t like it, then don’t eat it.

"How do you expect to get any pudding if you don't eat your meat!???"

Old 12-15-2018, 11:00 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You do realize that salt is a required substance for us humans, if we wish to continue living, right?
Of course I do. It's silly to pretend we need to give junkier foods to kids to fulfill their daily requirements, though. They're already exceeding it.

"About 9 in 10 US children eat more sodium than recommended. Most sodium is in the form of salt, as a part of processed foods."

https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/child...ium/index.html

Old 12-15-2018, 12:15 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

He was almost tarred and feathered and run out of town in some southern school. IIRC, he was on his own dime showing them how to meet the federal guidelines and stay on budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies