Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US tax the bejesus out of privately owned cars?
Yes, do it to fight our loneliness crisis. 4 8.70%
Yes, but do it because it's the right thing to do, not to fight loneliness 1 2.17%
No, leave the taxes where they are, or even reduce them. 37 80.43%
other (please explain below). 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
End Feminism and loneliness goes away.
Blue hair and 20 cats is not going to get you a man.
Then complain you are miserable.
Cats are preferable to misogynist humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:06 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You need a stronger correlation between cars and loneliness for your poll to be valid.

Alas ...
Agreed. I very much wish we had better public transit in this country, but it's for reasons other than loneliness. By the same token, I think loneliness, or perhaps more accurately, alienation, is a huge problem, but cars are not the first thing that comes to mind as a probable cause. It is just as possible to be lonely in "walkable" location.

This question seems very odd to me.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:08 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
I owe you a thousand rep points. Sadly, I cannot give you even one right now.

Bent, kindly tell me how ending feminism would end loneliness. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
I wish we had even close to the public transportation system available in much of Europe, including Denmark. If we did, then I would not really care about a car tax, because I don't like driving and would take public transport everywhere, like I do/did in London, Washington DC, Boston, etc.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
From what I have seen many Americans have to work so hard, worry so much (Danes don't have to worry about bankruptcy for a Medical Bill or from losing their job).....that they have nothing left for community. They are lucky if they can even deal with family after giving everything they got to the Boss Man.

Also, remember, it's their experience of diversity that makes Danes - Danes. For example, a young sales manager at the company I worked with had already lived for years in Asia...both trading and working in an embassy. That's quite typical for Danes. Unlike Americans of the same caliber, you would never hear them talking about foreigners being "bad people".

They aren't angry. That's a big thing. The reason the USA makes such good music and cinema, etc. is that these undercurrents constantly run through our society. Suffering and loneliness make for much better drama and music than happiness.

BTW, 5 weeks paid vacation (besides the short work weeks and high pay) are LAW. Of course, that doesn't include many other weeks off.

When people have time for themselves and their families...THEN, they can have time for friends and others also.
I think you are absolutely onto something, and there is evidence to back up what you've said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...503-story.html

I also like what you said about diversity and working in foreign countries. I'm considering living in Tijuana and working in San Diego. Unfortunately, the reaction I get to this proposal from most Americans is negative, so I feel like I have to be careful about who I talk to about it.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:31 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:
Thank you. Humans definitely are not always my companions of choice!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think you are absolutely onto something, and there is evidence to back up what you've said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...503-story.html

I also like what you said about diversity and working in foreign countries. I'm considering living in Tijuana and working in San Diego. Unfortunately, the reaction I get to this proposal from most Americans is negative, so I feel like I have to be careful about who I talk to about it.
Those Americans sound like the Misery Loves Company types. My kids have been everywhere from Italy to India to Peru....and lived in Mexico while learning Spanish, etc.

They are very normal and have varied social lives and little loneliness. One has a 3 month old and was at the Theater last week and the cinema this week. They are going to Barcelona for 3 weeks in Jan....

How? Well, in the enlightened state where they live Mom gets up to 6 months (sometimes more) off for Maternity leave...and Dad does too.

I guess that illustrates the point to some degree. Time. The Golden Years are not Golden so if people don't live when they are young they often grow angrier and angrier when they realize that they were fooled out of much of their life.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Also, remember, it's their experience of diversity that makes Danes - Danes. For example, a young sales manager at the company I worked with had already lived for years in Asia...both trading and working in an embassy. That's quite typical for Danes. Unlike Americans of the same caliber, you would never hear them talking about foreigners being "bad people".
You seem to have missed the point. The Danes went to other countries. They didn't have a vast influx of foreigners most likely because they, like most countries have strict immigration laws. I guess you've never tried to work overseas. Just living there legally without working requires a large income because they don't want you going on welfare.

Plenty of Americans would like to work and live in foreign countries but they don't because they can't qualify under the immigration laws. Nothing to do with hating foreigners.

Typical divisive leftist identity politics talking points.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
In the US we are currently experiencing a 'loneliness crisis' that has been widely reported.
https://www.ajc.com/news/health-med-...3qZI8WlukHfpK/
It may be partially responsible for our increasing suicides and drug deaths, and in turn our declining lifespans.
We Americans spend much time in the sealed metal and glass boxes that we call automobiles. No wonder we are bereft of human contact!

The Danes have a convivial and cohesive society; this has even been proven by OECD studies. Denmark taxes the bejesus out of privately owned automobiles. Until just recently the Danes taxed economy cars at 105%, and higher-priced at 180%. There is also a VAT tax slapped on, and annual environment fees. As in most European nations, fuel is heavily taxed. The result is that Danes tend to get out of their steel and glass boxes, and onto bicycles and public transit. No wonder they don't have our loneliness crisis!

Do you agree that we should increase car taxes as a way to fight loneliness?
I don't know how convivial Danes are, or if gasoline taxes have anything to do with it at all, but they do have a cohesive, high-trust society. Why? Because they're relatively homogenous. In other words, a lack of diversity may be Denmark's greatest strength.

The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe

Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I The result is that Danes tend to get out of their steel and glass boxes, and onto bicycles
Riding a bicycle in a typical Danish winter. What could go wrong?

Winter in Denmark is cold, with an average temperature of January and February just above freezing (zero degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit) in Copenhagen. The days are very short (in December the sun sets at three in the afternoon), and temperature fluctuations between day and night are little...

During winter, the amount of sunshine is poor, in fact the sky is often overcast; wind can be intense, and precipitation is quite frequent

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/denmark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies