Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No doubt, some cops are good, moral people, but even those who are engage in criminal activity when they remain silent about the criminal behavior of those around them. (Not referring to your uncle here.)

But I'm not talking about finding a wallet without any ID inside. And if I found a wallet with an ID I wouldn't expect them to know the exact amount inside, but I would expect them to tell me what the contents were in the way of cards and a driver's license.
That's okay, my uncle had his problems. Fueled by alcohol, and I know that his fellow officers reciprocated and covered for him if he showed up for work half in the bag. Including when he wrecked his car on the street where he lived. He ran over a street sign, then a fire hydrant, went down the block and crashed into a telephone pole. He left the car there and stumbled home drunk. He was not on duty at the time. We were surprised that he was able to keep his job, but he did and was able to retire as a lieutenant with full benefits. That's kinda' the way things were in a small town. What happened there, stayed there. I won't even try to defend his actions just because he was my uncle. That he put my aunt and cousins through hell would be an understatement. I can't tell you how many times my mother and grandparents begged my aunt to leave him, taking my cousins with her.

I don't know if his drinking was caused by being a cop or from all of the things he witnessed as a World War Two veteran? He was a big man, an imposing figure to be sure, and a lot of people were afraid of him. One of my friends once told me that he could deal with all of the town cops except for my uncle.

Most of the cops that I have known are good honest people doing a thankless job and have to put up with a lot of crap from the public. Some are outright bullies with a badge and a gun. However there are some places where you couldn't pay me enough money to have that job. Even in places that are relatively safe. You never know who the hell you are pulling over even for a minor traffic infraction? It could be your last day on earth. You're out in all kinds of weather, working all different shifts and hours, responding to some of the most gruesome scenes you could ever imagine. Having to deal with all kinds people in all types of situations from domestic disputes to doped up enraged lunatics, being kicked in the groin and spat upon. No thank you it's not a job for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:09 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
None of your analogies is what happened here.
Only because you're cognitive bias is denying you the rational logic of seeing they're analogous.

So what did happen? Because it appears to me that Brinks laid claim on threat of theft of every $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, And $100 bill, how can it not be, when they don't have inventory of every unique note with identification?

How do they prove any single note comes from them? As said earlier "Oh come on" is not evidence. Bank notes being identical is a big issue in this instance, if it's a car, it's easy to prove it's yours, if it's a Kitchenaid it's less easy, but some guy with a bag of house breaking tools and a Kitchenaid identical to the one missing in your kitchen, is not as difficult. If you have $5000 in cash on Jersey route 3, how does Brinks prove it's theirs? If they can't it can't be theft.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It’s neither your job nor logically sound. Slippery slope is a fallacy all day.
Bazinga. Just so.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A phone can be ID'd via personal info.
So what?

Theft is theft regardless of whether or not it can be proven. Do you really lack such a moral compass?

Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm asking you to question the morality and logical consistency in this thinking.

If it is on private property or property that can be identified by the rightful owner then you have a moral & logical obligation to provide a means for the owner to claim it. For you statists, you go through the government. Ok, I get that.

These are bills on public land that the rightful owners can't provide serial numbers for.

You wouldn't put an ad in the paper saying "Found: hundred-dollar bill in NYC" then when the first guy calls you saying "I lost a hundred-dollar bill in NYC" you give it to him, would you?
No but because I understand what theft is, and have some semblance of morality I wouldn't stop my car to pick up the money I can see blowing off the armored truck. WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED HERE.

Stop pretending that people didn't see the money blowing out of the truck in the accident. There is video that proves otherwise. https://nypost.com/2018/12/17/theres...d-truck-crash/

They stopped in the road, jumped out, grabbed whatever was nearby and then drove off quickly. Meanwhile the truck that had been in the accident was pulled off to the shoulder the entire time. If you have to lie about what happened to make your point you have already lost credibility.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I asked our GARDA driver about this situation yesterday, he said if something like this happened with one of their trucks, they are bonded and insured for the full amount lost, so no one would actually be out any money in the end.

If every party is made whole, how can it be theft?

Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
No but because I understand what theft is, and have some semblance of morality I wouldn't stop my car to pick up the money I can see blowing off the armored truck. WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED HERE.

Stop pretending that people didn't see the money blowing out of the truck in the accident. There is video that proves otherwise. https://nypost.com/2018/12/17/theres...d-truck-crash/

They stopped in the road, jumped out, grabbed whatever was nearby and then drove off quickly. Meanwhile the truck that had been in the accident was pulled off to the shoulder the entire time. If you have to lie about what happened to make your point you have already lost credibility.
Maybe you're right. Brinks now owns all money that ever appears on the Route 3 in Jersey...backed by threat of prosecution from the State.

Think I'll go out on the Hollywood freeway this afternoon and do the same thing. Drop an undisclosed, unmarked amount of bills on the road, get the fuzz to use the media bully pulpit to threaten the peasants with prosecution, and then sit back and collect on all the dough the public turns in.

Sort of a Go Fund me with a twist.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
So what?

Theft is theft regardless of whether or not it can be proven. Do you really lack such a moral compass?
Theft requires bona fide proof of ownership.

Unmarked, non-distinguishable bills on public land is found money.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:59 AM

8,337 posts, read 2,962,210 times
I lost a $20 bill somewhere on the 405 freeway. Must have blown out of my pocket. If found please call XXX XXX XXXX

Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
It’s neither your job nor logically sound. Slippery slope is a fallacy all day.

Actually, it isn't. There are proven examples where the Slippery Slope has panned out to be true. The Slippery Slope is not inherently flawed and may be a valid argument in many situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies