Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:20 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Ugh.

I've got a long way to go with you folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Two flaws.

It probably doesn't belong to Brinks, but to their customers, but other than that, I agree: the people who took the money knew how to make sure it was returned to the rightful owners, and they should have done so.

It looks like there is evidence, and it looks like a lot of it came from private citizens.

I'm not really sure how the fact that this happened on a public road is relevant to anything.
1. Brinks has custodial control of the money. The rightful owner is indeed the customers.

2. Public road not relevant? Good Lord!

If there's one thing I've tried pounding into your head it's the fact that there is private land and non-private land (what you folks call public). If a homeowner goes outside and puts money all over his yard you can't go on his property and pick it up. These folks found money on land not in private use.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:26 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ugh.

I've got a long way to go with you folks.
No you got to explain yourself here. How is this not property theft? The cash belongs to the companies transporting the cash in the care of a Brinks truck. Why is it any different at the company's place of business than falling out of a truck? I thought libertarianism was based on property rights and cash is most definitely an asset and assets are property. What makes this case different and why wouldn't this be hypocritical?

Old 12-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It turns out that this thread in it's premise is not even valid. All of the analogies used were wrong. The truck was nearby and the two Brinks employees were trying to get the money. I'm assuming they were armed. The thieves were lucky they were not shot.

Money for nothing? If you picked up cash off Rt. 3, give it back to Brink's, police say

There's a video at the top of the above link taken by someone stopped in traffic going the ther way. Five seconds in, you can see the Brinks truck on the ide of the road. So the correct analogy is you're waking down the sidewalk and drop your billfold. Two people behind you and someone passing you see this happen at the same time you do and all f y'all run for the billfold. The three people passing me get the money and credit cards ut of the wallet.
Sorry, that's all circumstantial evidence. Of course it's overwhelming but the burden of a conviction lies with the State.

The fact remains that money was on non-private (public) land. It was entirely possible that an individual picked it up with no knowledge of its rightful owner. As such, no person can be charged (without further evidence).

Old 12-16-2018, 10:30 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
People still want that free lunch paid by others. That will never end.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No you got to explain yourself here. How is this not property theft? The cash belongs to the companies transporting the cash in the care of a Brinks truck. Why is it any different at the company's place of business than falling out of a truck? I thought libertarianism was based on property rights and cash is most definitely an asset and assets are property. What makes this case different and why wouldn't this be hypocritical?
There is no way to ascertain the rightful owner of the bills unless someone can provide a serial number.

Let me ask you this: How likely do you think it is that somewhere on the Jersey freeway system there is a penny, dime, or dollar bill on the road unrelated to this incident? Does Brinks now have a claim to all that money?

Quick, get Al Roker on the horn. Winds were out of the east that day. Some bills may have floated all the way to Scranton.

*be careful picking up money in Scranton today...the State may bust you for "theft"*

Last edited by No_Recess; 12-16-2018 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 10:37 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
1. Brinks has custodial control of the money. The rightful owner is indeed the customers.

2. Public road not relevant? Good Lord!

If there's one thing I've tried pounding into your head it's the fact that there is private land and non-private land (what you folks call public). If a homeowner goes outside and puts money all over his yard you can't go on his property and pick it up. These folks found money on land not in private use.
Where did you come up with this nonsense?

Where does it end? Can I take your car if you park it on a public street rather than a private driveway or garage?

If you drop your wallet on the sidewalk, can I pick it up and walk off with it?

Your position is so absurd that I find it implausible that even you believe it.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Actually a standard law that is probably observed in most places, is that if you find money, you are required to take it to the police. They take your name and if someone doesn't show up within a certain time and make a credible claim to it, then it legally becomes yours. But there are some places where the government gets a percentage of it.
Yeah, and when you turn it in someone (a cop's distant 3rd cousin) miracously comes in to claim it.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Where did you come up with this nonsense?

Where does it end? Can I take your car if you park it on a public street rather than a private driveway or garage?

If you drop your wallet on the sidewalk, can I pick it up and walk off with it?

Your position is so absurd that I find it implausible that even you believe it.
A vehicle's rightful owner can be substantiated via Vin.

Try another one.

A wallet with ID or other personal info can be claimed by the rightful owner.

Give me another one. This is fun!

Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You kicked up nothing, but if you need it, take it. All I needed was clarification.
Let's not fight.

You're about the only statist in this thread who sees what the State is doing here.

Team Crazy...Party of 2! (Mpowering and no_recess)

Last edited by No_Recess; 12-16-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies