Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:16 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I was in high school during Watergate but I was wondering at the end were there any solid supporters of President Nixon at the end. Were there people claiming he was being wronged?.................
Yes, there were.
I remember Paul Harvey lamenting that we had chased away one of our great Presidents. I supported Nixon at the time, but I think a lot of people did. His misdeeds were only partly understood and his greatest misjudgments had not really taken effect - like wage and price controls he thought would halt inflation. They actually made it worse, and it was pretty bad already!

Nixon was a pretty bad President in a lot of ways. Gerald Ford was better, Carter was not liked, and Reagan and Bush 41 were excellent. After that we had a run of pretty mediocre Presidents. That's where we are today.
It'll get better. What's a good President? ........... One the people generally support. If your VP gets the job you have done pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 02:27 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They set Nixon up, just like they are trying like hell to do to Trump.
The CIA bugged Watergate, then blamed it on the Republicans and telling a bunch of lies. Nixon screwed up by trying to help cover it up as they had implicated his buddy.
The the prosecutor and judge set up the case and the appeal together.

Trumps EGO the size of the Himalaya mountains, is the difference and his saving grace. A normal guy like Bush, Romney, or McCain, would have crumbled by now.

I have not heard of this loony tunes theory. Of course, one of the Watergate burglars had formerly been with the CIA, but he left the Agency, and was working for Nixon's re-election campaign, CREEP.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ars-arrested-2

Nixon had his supporters, some to the end, I would guess. I was very much a Nixon supporter, due to his terminating the draft, but by July 1974, with the smoking gun (or smocking gun) tapes, I realized that Nixon was as crooked as a dog's hind leg. My belief in the law overruled any personal consideration of Mr. Nixon.

As one other poster noted, Paul Harvey (whom I listened to every day, and was probably influential in my continuing support for Nixon) was for Nixon almost to the end. I recall how Paul once said, when the evidence was starting to build up, that Nixon 'overran his headlights', a folksy way of saying he acted beyond the law.

When Nixon resigned, his approval rating was 24 percent:

https://historyinpieces.com/research...proval-ratings

Old 12-16-2018, 02:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I'm sure there were some people who stuck by Nixon and felt he was wrongly accused, but nothing like we are seeing with Trump. I don't know if people are just that much more gullible today, or if Trump is that good of a con man, but we see people who would fall on a sword for him, even on here.

When Trump is dethroned, it is going to get ugly around here.
when the Trump haters finally bring me a real crime then we can start having a conversation. So far it has been a witch hunt and a double standard on lying under oath to investigators.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:48 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What a pitiful and desperate notion.
If we are going to drag the dead from their graves for comparisons who will be next ?
Mary Jo Kopechne and Ted Kennedy ?
The lion/liar of the Senate keeps Adam BullSchiff in 2nd place.

Where does it end ?

Old 12-16-2018, 02:53 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Nixon was paranoid. I don't blame him for the loss in Vietnam. He inherited that mess. But he always had been called "tricky Dick" for good reason.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Dragging out Nixon to bash Trump. That is desperation !!!
Desperation is the anchor of the inability of democrats to accept the results of the 2016 election..
I was a lifelong Republican until 2016, am now a Libertarian and cannot stand the Democratic Party.

It’s Republicans who need to be speaking up against Trump’s lies and unsavory dealings. Since Republicans generally don’t, when Democrats elect Joseph Stalin-and they will- there will be nobody who can speak up against him.

Lies, treason and crimes need to be opposed, even if the perpetrator shares your party, because truth and the rule of law is really all that will stop Democrats from imposing a totalitarian Communist regime on the US as soon as they can, and letting a President lie and commit treason and other crimes destroys the rule of law.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 PM

885 posts, read 623,973 times
There was a great film. 'The President's Analyst' which was released in 1968. It was a satire which was ahead of its time, in that it focused on paranoia in high government circles. The film also focused on modern ethics and privacy concerns, with the US government delving into the lives of private citizens. In a way, it was an allegory for the mistrust that many Americans now have regarding the intrusion of the federal government in their lives, especially regarding privacy issues. This is part of the legacy of Nixon.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:17 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I was a lifelong Republican until 2016, am now a Libertarian and cannot stand the Democratic Party.

It’s Republicans who need to be speaking up against Trump’s lies and unsavory dealings. Since Republicans generally don’t, when Democrats elect Joseph Stalin-and they will- there will be nobody who can speak up against him.

Lies, treason and crimes need to be opposed, even if the perpetrator shares your party, because truth and the rule of law is really all that will stop Democrats from imposing a totalitarian Communist regime on the US as soon as they can, and letting a President lie and commit treason and other crimes destroys the rule of law.

So when the republicans went into the fetal position every time they were confronted by the democrats you were right there with them but they need to stand up to the leader of their party now.
Be gone is be best.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:35 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I believe the Vietnam era, and the protests started to make anti American thought chic, and popular to this day. It seems to be badge some wear to prove they are enlightened, evolved, and smarter than others. It is B.S.

There was nothing anti-American about protesting the Vietnam war, what was anti-American was the path riddled with lies and deceit our so-called leaders led us down into that debacle.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:37 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
So when the republicans went into the fetal position every time they were confronted by the democrats you were right there with them but they need to stand up to the leader of their party now.
Be gone is be best.
No, I have vocally opposed Democrats for decades. I was the chair of my local GOP organization and campaigned for numerous candidates, even traveling halfway across the US for one, on my own dime.

The GOP is now Trump’s party. GOP leaders made it clear that those of us who oppose Trump aren’t wanted. The final straw was Ed Rollins saying that Republicans who didn’t support Trump were traitors. (Ed Rollins has managed independent candidate Ross Perot’s campaign in the ‘90s, so a total hypocrite). I don’t waste my time where I’m not wanted, and where the leader is repugnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies