Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:33 PM

680 posts, read 525,116 times

Advertisements

[url]https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/nolan-finley/2018/12/16/finley-snyder-should-use-his-pardon-pen/2292288002/[/url]

I was reading this article today. Found it sad and disturbing how easy a person can be convicted of murder, with overwhelming evidence pointing to their innocence. The man at the end of the story had 9 witnesses place him 400 miles away from the murder scene. Zero physical evidence. Basically all it takes is a very persuasive prosecutor to convince a jury. He's still in prison after 30 years, hoping for a pardon. I also think it should be illegal for prosecution to restrict eyewitness testimony, when it could prove innocence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 02:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,293,466 times
This is a topic I feel strongly about. We have lots of innocent people in prison and the USA has very long rates of incarceration.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:27 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,702,149 times
I feel strongly about this too. Not just murder, but other crimes, that put people in prison when they're innocent.

My county - Williamson County, Texas - has an especially wretched record for imprisoning completely innocent people.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:47 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,090,846 times
I used to be for the death penalty. Now, I'm not because 165 people have been exonnerated from death row since 1973. I did time myself, and I can tell you that for serious crimes- it is NOT rare for an innocent person to be in prison. The system is slanted in favor of the prosecution. Anybody that gets a serious felony charge, and has a Public Defender is toast.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 AM

5,622 posts, read 4,164,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I used to be for the death penalty. Now, I'm not because 165 people have been exonnerated from death row since 1973. I did time myself, and I can tell you that for serious crimes- it is NOT rare for an innocent person to be in prison. The system is slanted in favor of the prosecution. Anybody that gets a serious felony charge, and has a Public Defender is toast.

The word on the street and social media among the perpetually outraged is that the system is slanted in favor of the guilty going free.

The fact is its an imperfect system relying on imperfect people, and mistakes go both ways, and that's reason enough to abolish the death penalty.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:57 PM

7,115 posts, read 8,600,209 times
I watched Innocent Man documentary on Netflix...John Grisham wrote about this small town Ada Oklahoma...very disturbing...I won't spoil it but at the end they showed some statistics on wrongful convictions...they occur 4% of the time which doesn't seem an awful lot until they said that amounts to over 90,000 people! Very hard to wrap ones head around that...

Old 12-23-2018, 09:31 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,420,799 times
Dateline just had one on last night. The woman wasn't convicted, but she spent a year and 3 months in jail because she couldn't afford bail. This was in Randall Co Texas -- Amarillo.

I guess android cell phones were pretty new at the time because the prosecutor didn't know about the tracking function until he heard an assistant talking about it. He checked the suspect's child's phone because the suspect's tracking had been turned off. The child was exactly where the suspect said they were, not where the murder occurred. That got her released and her husband arrested a few months later when he tried to flee.

If not for an overheard convo about androids, and that child's cell phone, she'd almost certainly have been convicted and be sitting in prison right now.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:32 PM

680 posts, read 525,116 times
I think social media makes things worse. There's a lynch mob mentality on social media, often before a person even has a real trial in court.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:18 PM

8,089 posts, read 6,843,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I think social media makes things worse. There's a lynch mob mentality on social media, often before a person even has a real trial in court.
Which is fueled initially by the mainstream media. Just recently, look at what happened to James Fields. You don't have to share a person's ideology to see that this man was completely railroaded and convicted in the media on the day the accident took place.
The jury even convicted him of hit and run, although his car was violently attacked and his windows smashed in immediately. What was he supposed to, stay, get dragged out of his car and beaten to do death by a violent mob?

The MEDIA is also to blame in a lot of wrongful convictions/sentences. But, yeah sure they'll do a few stories here and there about innocent people in prison to throw the people a bone. Make them think they actually CARE and are "real journalists".

Old 12-24-2018, 05:10 PM

928 posts, read 959,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
This is very, very true! And any news media can do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies