Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:58 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,241,391 times

Advertisements

Yes, markets correct. But the current 'correction' which doesn't seem to want to find a bottom is all man-made.

It's the frickin' trade policy. The market got crazy when Trump announced tariffs in February and has never regained its footing since. Ballooning deficits from irresponsible tax legislation and interest rates were bad enough, but we could have probably handled that.

TARIFFS were the final nail in the coffin - offsetting most of the hoped-for growth or benefits from the tax cuts. Trump essentially shot the country in the foot.

On top of that, he's erratic, unpredictable, irrational, and vindictive. The markets don't like that. I am very concerned we're headed for scary bad times in the stock market until Trump is gone.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:06 PM

25,727 posts, read 16,343,674 times
Sorry to hear that. Mine has been averaging 10% for the last 2 years but I’m in conservative mode with retirement less than 2 years from now.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,241,391 times
Looming slowdown coupled with ballooning deficits spells trouble. We're piling up debt at a much faster pace - because of the tax cuts.

Bonds were a loser across the board, so you must be a good stock picker if you've seen gains this year. In 2017, my gains were over 22% - this year I've given back about 3% - not awful - but current market behavior scares the h*ll out of me. I've not forgotten how the market crashed in 2008-2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...007%E2%80%9309

The only thing to do is wait it out.

That said, with all the damage being done internationally, will the market bounce back yet again - or will we have a lost decade similar to Japan? That's my worry.

These are not ordinary times. Trump is not a normal president. Therefore, past precedent is out the window. I wouldn't be nearly as worried about a normal recovery/bounce back if Trump were not at the helm.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:25 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,062,311 times
People who don't need a 401K (multi-millionaires/billionares, etc) don't care.

People who don't have one because they're not employed in a position that offers one and/or are spending every dime of their paycheck (or putting money in a sock drawer because they do not trust the gubmint) are not caring about 401ks. They like to pretend they're getting rich off Trump policies, but I do not think that 50 bucks extra a month is caviar cash.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:30 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,497,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
In cash silly goose....now looking at selective buy opportunities.
uh huh....

Old 12-17-2018, 01:37 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,874,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Down 6%? Obama's last year (2016) ended +13%

Today it is down another 300 points.
Actually it's down 400.23 right now

Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM

1,991 posts, read 889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yeah, the markets have been in free-fall since the Democrats took the House back.

Any other news to report?
The democratic congress will not be in office until January. Any policy expected to be enacted by the democrats is a long way down the road. So you are telling me that the stock market purposely gave up two months of gains simply because the Democrats won in November? Not likely.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:07 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,570,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Back in late January President Trump said "have you looked at your 410k?". I am looking at it now and it is down $260,000 from then. Haven't heard boo from him since.

Took credit in January wonder where he stands today? Who's going to get the blame, my bet he'll say the fed and the witch hunt. Couldn't be the tax cut that created no new demand or his trade policy.
I'm lucky - only lost about 150K.

But there may be more to come. That's exactly what happened to anyone and everyone who cast their lot with Don the Con.

Trump is reportedly very very angry and unhinged now. I have always claimed that even nukes flying are not out of the question. We are seriously talking about an individual that couldn't be trusted to babysit, let alone control weapons.

And, yes, I feel as bad for the right who is getting trumped too. Father forgive them because they either didn't know what they did....or, their greed and selfishness caused the perfect storm.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:37 PM

29,758 posts, read 18,623,807 times
Another great Market Day for the famous Blue Wave.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:51 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,570,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Looming slowdown coupled with ballooning deficits spells trouble. We're piling up debt at a much faster pace - because of the tax cuts.

That said, with all the damage being done internationally, will the market bounce back yet again - or will we have a lost decade similar to Japan? That's my worry.

These are not ordinary times. Trump is not a normal president. Therefore, past precedent is out the window. I wouldn't be nearly as worried about a normal recovery/bounce back if Trump were not at the helm.
It will likely be at least a couple lost decades since the total return of the indexes from 2000 to today is less than 5% per year. Take inflation out of that and it's maybe 3% at most. Now this.

If Trump resigns or is thrown out I think things will change - yes, even with Pence who is not exactly schooled in economics. But, as you say, Trump is unique. He's that kid who spits on the bike seat so no one can have a ride.

We'd be much better off with no POTUS at all.

Remember, no money made = no taxes paid on it. It also means the holidays won't be as merry for many businesses like Apple. That will mean further pain....until and unless Trump goes.

I can't imagine that anyone would get on an aircraft if Trump was the pilot. By the same token, they won't jump on his train because they know it is dangerous.

Being as this is my first year of no income (counted on my savings, IRA, etc.), it's not a good thing. But...I'll be OK in any case because I am conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies