Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Is there such a thing as non-radical Islam in your opinion?
Depends on who you ask. Fundamentalist Christians tend to view only other fundamentalists as being "true Christians" and they view the more moderate sects of the faith as being apostate. They project the same thing onto Islam, discarding the fact that the faith does have a moderate side and that not every Muslim is a terrorist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 AM

463 posts, read 189,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Depends on who you ask. Fundamentalist Christians tend to view only other fundamentalists as being "true Christians" and they view the more moderate sects of the faith as being apostate. They project the same thing onto Islam, discarding the fact that the faith does have a moderate side and that not every Muslim is a terrorist.
Since you're speaking for all fundamentalist Christians based on your seminary level of theological education, can you let me know why any true Christ-Follower will always oppose 'gay marriage'?

Old 12-20-2018, 09:38 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
All baloney - try finding a mosque that has the gay flag while some churches do display. It’s Christian majority countries that permits same-sex marriage, no Islamic nation. In fact gays are being thrown out from rooftop buildings in most Islamic countries. Muhammad and the Quran according to the Sharia demands homosexuals to be killed!
If you want to use that analogy you could say the same as Catholic Churches, even though most Catholics support SSM.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:43 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Since you're speaking for all fundamentalist Christians based on your seminary level of theological education, can you let me know why any true Christ-Follower will always oppose 'gay marriage'?
Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, and Romans Chapter 1. Also the passage where Jesus talks about a man leaving his parents and "cleaving unto his wife." That leaves no room for same-sex marriage when applying it literally as fundamentalists do.

But the thing is, at least for now the Bible isn't the law of the land despite what Republicans think. The Constitution is.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:44 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Is there such a thing as non-radical Islam in your opinion?
I believe African Americans make up the largest group of "American born Muslims". Have not seen much radicalization from them. Two former Muslim sports hero's that have been very vocal in support of gay rights are Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Tiki Barber.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:56 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I believe African Americans make up the largest group of "American born Muslims". Have not seen much radicalization from them. Two former Muslim sports hero's that have been very vocal in support of gay rights are Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Tiki Barber.
Good points.

I am of the opinion that 80%-90% of the Billion or so Muslims in the world are non-radical and just go about their daily lives without much political nonsense, same as me.

Some people think that if non-radical Islam doesn't espouse their disdain for terrorists daily, well then, they must be one too. Or at the least they're supporting them.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Live and let live is a lot different from "favor". These polls are dishonest and the results are insultingly misleading.
The poll I referenced didn't use the wording 'live and let live'. That was my phrasing.

Take a look at the Pew Study where 52% of U.S. Muslims state society should be accepting of homosexuality.

Some of you are judging U.S. Muslims who are westernized based on the sicko's in the Middle East.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
https://www.newsweek.com/muslim-whit...arriage-907627

I post this because it's quite common for conservatives to defend their continued crusade against LGBTQ rights with the narrative that Islam is even more homophobic.
No they don't that's just something you've made up because your progressive policies are failures so you deflect from the truth.

Quote:
However poll after poll shows that not to be the case, at least in this country. The Middle East and the theocracies there on the other hand are an entirely different ballgame.

From the article.
It's not about "allowing gay marriage". It's about forcing it on others. Not that you care about the truth.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, and Romans Chapter 1. Also the passage where Jesus talks about a man leaving his parents and "cleaving unto his wife." That leaves no room for same-sex marriage when applying it literally as fundamentalists do.

But the thing is, at least for now the Bible isn't the law of the land despite what Republicans think. The Constitution is.
Point out to me, where in the Constitution is it governments job to regulate marriage.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 12-20-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
It's always puzzled me why conservatives are against Muslim politicians for being too socially conservative. If you actually look at the social positions of incoming Muslim politicians, they're way more liberal than the average Republican.
It always puzzled me why people make things up about conservatives. It's about less government, nothing more. You want to force the private sector to recognize same sex marriage you're not talking conservative.
Something called a social position involving big government isn't any different than a non social issue involving big government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies